BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was sittin in class friday and got a text - "keys this weekend? free trip Ill pick you up at 5 " done deal... called out sick from my SCUBA lab, ran back to the room, tossed some clothes in my backpack and jumped in my buddys truck with 2 others.

We sat in traffic for 4 hours insulting each other and farting and locking the windows, fun ride down. Caught some girl in her little acura playin with her boobs, then she caught us watching. :D

Finally got down to the house, dropped our bags and rods and headed down to island grill. Terrible service and the food was way overpriced. 3 of the guys got some weird steak sandwich, i overpaid for a burger and we ate quick, invaded the winn dixie for bait and food for the next day. Beer turned into a big priority and then for some reason we all decided to start beating each other with our flip flops in the middle of the store. Shopping accomplished - Bedtime.

Rolled off the couch at 530am, hopped on my friend's 36 express and fired her up.. i rigged squids and baits while brian and drew were on bow duty for capt ry with the damn shallow channel. finally broke out of it, headed out to the deep and got our spread out on the way. worked our way out to a couple of guys jigging but no luck, saw some scattered birds and fish working bait but nothing came tight. I got put on tower duty and spotted a weedline so we got up on it and put the left rigger right on the edge of it. Just gotten down from the tower when the port short rigger went off, 5 mins later had a small mahi in the boat. reset, trolled up the other side and picked up another one we dropped at the boat, then the bite died off and the weedline broke up. Decided after an hour of nothing to head in to 40-60 foot range to try for yellowtail and other reefies. anchored up with no current or wind and got the chum bag right out... had ballyhoo and other random fish come up but couldnt buy a bite. Water was crystal clear so me and brian went for a swim.... of course the one time i leave my spearfishing gear at home I see all the cool stuff. Couldnt shake the skunk so we picked up and moved to the 60 ft stuff, had tons of fish in the chum slick but no takers, everything was leader shy. Hooked a few bottom fish and had a nurse come up on a grunt but no take. Had some idiot drop his anchor right next to us and got up in our slick so we started cannonballing off the tower and got a full crew mooning their way... they picked up and moved off quick. We had all kinds of fish make a show yesterday in the slick, big cero macks, spanish macks, ballyhoo, parrotfish, everything you could imagine. When we jumped in we had grouper under the boat everywhere - gags, reds, blacks all over the place.

Tally for the day was 1 mahi and a little pile of decent size grunts, nothing special. Headed off to hog heaven for dinner, downed a redbull each and headed off to smugglers cove for beers... then ended up back at hog heaven til 330am and called it quits after a night of nonsense and drunken antics.

The funniest part of the trip was this morning, me and brian were up and out on the porch and capt ry came out looking for a water bottle... there was one left in the fridge, him and brian sprinted for it at the same time. I watched ryland hipcheck brian, brian went airborne across the room into the corner of the wall and landed in a heap of pitiful on the floor. I havent laughed as hard as I did in a long time, and i just lost it recounting the story to my roommate when I got back to school.

Took a few pictures so Ill put them up here in a few when I take a break from studying.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that and accidents on the turnpike around miami.

Hey tom, where are you in islamorada?Friends place is on plantation drive, saw a few jersey plates this weekend

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

more pictures coming. didnt take a whole bunch since the day was pretty bland in terms of fishing. The grunts turned into cut bait for reef fishing anyways.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Andy - I'm at Executive Bay, mm 87200. Right next to Founders' Park. Bought it in '89.

We didn't get down till February. Weather has been outstanding for a change.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Andy - I'm at Executive Bay, mm 87200. Right next to Founders' Park. Bought it in '89.

We didn't get down till February. Weather has been outstanding for a change.
Good stuff tom.... ill let you know the next time we're planning on coming down.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hey, sorry to hear about the slow fishing and the bad food...I can't help with the fishing yet...but the food, try Village Gourmet, 82751 overseas highway..does a grreat job with pizza and some of his specialty sandwitches. His deserts are pretty good and maybe the best Key Lime pie I ever had in the keys..to top it off, owner Dave is a Jersey boy..

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, sorry to hear about the slow fishing and the bad food...I can't help with the fishing yet...but the food, try Village Gourmet, 82751 overseas highway..does a grreat job with pizza and some of his specialty sandwitches. His deserts are pretty good and maybe the best Key Lime pie I ever had in the keys..to top it off, owner Dave is a Jersey boy..

Ill check it out next time we head down to take the nauti-girl out for a ride... hog heaven was 10 times better, got a shrimp basket for 12 bucks.

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
this thread is useless without pic's of said girl....and her playtoys:D:D :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WEll since you asked... i put a half assed vid together, lemme put it on youtube and put it up. steve how the hell ya been?!

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
WEll since you asked... i put a half assed vid together, lemme put it on youtube and put it up. steve how the hell ya been?!

not to bad andrew...just working and working...if i get the baot in the water this year and yor around we'll have a get you out diving..

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
diving or fishing doesnt matter... ill bring the beer and women :D got my offshore game started with the boys down here. be back to nj first week of may for the summer to regroup work and get ready to move back down here til schools done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxUMZ3eMAYQ&feature=youtu.be

video isnt great but did the best with what i had.

·
Registered
12,592 Posts

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We found them later at hog heaven.... well brian found one he thought was a chick... o.0

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.