BASS BARN banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made my first trip of the year and as usual the first cast was the best cast. Landed my first striper of 2012 sea isle city surf.
Special thanks to my guys at two chums for opening the shop up for me on a day u were closed ur fresh clams did the trick. Also jigged 2 herring with the rig u sold me.
Two chums bait and tackle. Sea isle city new jersey 43rd and the bay. They kept my season going all winter and looks like.... It ain't over yet!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got another bass and 4 skates and lost another bass in the wash today. Ocean was like a glass table the past 2 days prob coulda been better if there was more chop and current. First time in my life I was able to hold with 2oz. Water was crystal clear down 42-46 street. Follow the birds working the jetties and Thts where the bait is and Thts where the bass were. Best 2 days of fishin I ever had in Jan. Lil to zero wind Monday light wind tues. No cuts or bowls were located most of the island was flat and featureless the jetties r key right now. Freah Clams worked best. Nothing on high low rigs or drop shots everything was on the bottom on fishfinder rigs. Gota get ur cast out to the front of the jetties or so it seemed. No herring located today even at the bridges. Did see one sand eel early today. Til next week.....

·
Registered
161 Posts
Never knew it started?

I fished mid island O.C today. Threw a d. dick and ava and once again not a thing. Worst last fall/spring/ and current fall/winter in recent history. 3 years ago this time I caught over 75 fish, with 14 keepers. This year I put in more time and got 1 hit all fall on a bunker tail, and pulled in a 37 inch/18 lber and other than that got an 8 incher on a hopkins as that was only hit I got on a lure all year. happy for those who got on some, but awful year for catching fish here.. beautiful night tonight though and the ocean was lake atlantic tonight...glass

·
Registered
111 Posts
mu fish

Glad to see you back posting, fished Sea isle, Saturday met Paul who has had some great catches this past December. I'll probably be down one day this weekend, hard to get off the days your off, Hope I can catch up with your again.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yea man I'm changing days off for a while I'll be off weekends try amd make it a lil easier on my bait shop to accomadate me. Starting not this weekend but next weekend so we will get together then. As far as ratings go this fall has been slightly under average for me I mean I score bass every week but the numbers weren't there for me this fall but still respectable and but the average size were lot bigger this year but on another note water temps haven't been this high this late in the year in quite some time and for me at least it's not over.
And u caught 75 bass in January? Or am I reading tht wrong? lol water temps last year at this time were 43 degrees.
And yea I kinda get side tracked some time posting every report and once the day passes I c no reason to go back and post it if it ain't the same day so ppl have good info close to real time. But I been there everyweek some where along the sand and water. Kinda screwed myself with the schedule change tho cause I won't c the ocean for 10 days instead of every 4-5 days. Alot can happen in 10 days temps read 48 today in the wash at 42 street.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Guys,
I am probably headed down Sunday and Monday to try and get some fish. I have not done much surf fishing, I fish down in Cape May on my boat. If you guys could maybe give me some pointers (what time of the day is best and maybe a general location) I would appreciate it. Also if you guys will be down there any of those days, I would like to learn some things. Thanks again and tight lines!!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
scrapy d

I'll probably be down from around 10 or 11:00 am sunday,will be fishing on the north end of sea isle between 31st to 1st, will be driving a black suv,shoot me an email:)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Redbear stay away from the north end u can forget about tht area til spring the beach replenishment project has shut down tht area for Stripers. Central and south end jetties r the spots u want locate the birds working at the jetties and it will give u a better shot right now. As far as pics go if someone can upload them for me sure! My iPhone is not to clear anymore due to the salt lol viedoing myself releasing fish has taken it's toll. Some trips the camera on the phone won't even work. I shoulda been got a new phone but I work and fish no time for anything else right now. But as far as my reports go.... I could care less wht ppl think. I only post cause I hope other ppl benefit. I get criticized for posting my spots for ppl but I jus want ppl to have success in the surf if I can help catch me on the beach there's usually a fish in the sand or hanging off the jetty.
And red bear gman said he had 75 Stripers Thts who I was asking tht question

·
Registered
208 Posts
fished the north end in the blow yesterday and had 2 fish just south of the beach replenishment. them stripers love when the sand gets stirred up. its gives them plenty to eat...

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh yea? Good stuff! But it's jus been my experience to much sand shuts them
Down I saw a truck up there on tues also I fished up there for a few hours Monday and it jus looked and felt dead cleaner water is usually better according to my logs

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Shore0925 u really should have posted a pic if u caught bass Ctfu good stuff.
FYI beach replenishment damages the ecosystem in area being pumped and adjacent areas nothing lives in tht area for some time and striper have been known to avoid the dirty sandy wash for cleaner water Thts why usually after big blows Thts when they come looking for clams after it has all settled and cleaned up. But stick to Whts working for u bass in janurary is a beautiful thing!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
whoever claims to catch a fish in the surf at this point really shud post a picture
sure should :thumbsup:
I might be able to post a few for you guys at the end of the month...stay tuned....:thumbsup:

If you guys are still trying, the water along the NJcoast has dropped considerably in the last few days, Best bet is the 4-6pm window after a very sunny day

I know you can't fish the inlets this time of year, but some of us had had luck at the end of a sunny day in areas close to the inlets, as any bass chasing herring or little bait will tend to congregate around these ocean areas, if they congregate at all....
Another thing, if there are no signs or evidence of bait, you really should try to re-locate to a place where there at least SOME signs.

Hope this helps, Good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts