BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two weeks into March and I am already cleaning up after people, is it that tough to take out what you bring with you?? And is it so hard to throw your coffee cups away when there is a trash can 10 YARDS away???

One other thing, those turtle nets are damn annoying and its pretty damn ignorant that they keep them up all year long, but is it neccessary to rip down 5 yards so you can sneak your truck through and save a 15 YARD walk????

Its all just lazy and selfish. Had to vent sorry.

RyanF

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Ryan, unfortunately we have to deal with the same lazy jackarses year-in and year-out. Not much you or I can do about it, but I always bring a big husky 40 gallon trash bag (you know, the heavy duty Home Depot ones) and load up the anuses trash that they leave behind. It's lazy dopes like this that wonder why their 'spot' is suddenly shut down or constantly under scrutiny by the local cops and C.O.'s. I'll be down Tues and Wed doing the annual and weekly googan cleanup in between wetting lines. Maybe we'll organize another Barner cleanup a couple times this year. I'm down.....

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
RyanF said:
Two weeks into March and I am already cleaning up after people, is it that tough to take out what you bring with you?? And is it so hard to throw your coffee cups away when there is a trash can 10 YARDS away???

One other thing, those turtle nets are damn annoying and its pretty damn ignorant that they keep them up all year long, but is it neccessary to rip down 5 yards so you can sneak your truck through and save a 15 YARD walk????

RyanF
Ryan, when I see someone leaving there trash:mad: , I don't care how big they are & usually they are bigger than me(5'5"):eek: , I tell them to pick up there trash. Unfortuneatly the people who do leave there trash don't read this post/site or don't care:mad: . I also pick up whatever I see & have no problem in doing so:) . I hate ignorant people:mad: . :) :) Haig

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking I was going to conducting some interviews this summer as to why some people disguard there trash where they do.

Funny story. In oz they call a jerk off a toss off or a tosser. But they also call people who litter a tosser. So it's cool cause you can call someone a litterer and a jerk off at the same time!:D

Ryan, it's nice knowing there people out there like you!;)

G

·
Seems like All we have to do is say something to all those people leaving trash, and sooner or later they will stop. Hopefully saying something to them will embarrass them enough to not do it anymore. I know I have said things to people that leave and throw trash. Nice post !!

·
Registered
574 Posts
I live near a boathouse for crew, and every year i have to make a call to the athletic director of nearby schools that use it for their teams to remind the students to clean up after themselves.

·
Registered
576 Posts
You know, it's a sad thing when on some days I use my net to bring cans, paper and plastic into the boat more then I do fish.:mad:

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
I must be fishing different spots, since I haven't seen a lot of "fishermen trash." What I do see a lot of is the typical trash & litter that idiots thrwo out their car window that then the wind blows all around. Walking to one of my spots last night there were plenty of coffee cups, cig butts, beer cans and broken glass all along the roadway. Once at the spot, nothing that I would cosider to be fishing related was laying around. May be I got there right after Even Steven cleaned the area. :D

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I know of 2 freshwater spots that were private prop. and the owners let people fish there, state stocked w/trout...trash made the owners post it and the state stopped stocking it at the owners request

Joe R
20ft classic SeaCraft
Susie II

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
RyanF said:

RyanF
Couldn't agree more with you about the litter of all sorts. It certainly "has started". :( Even though I don't always catch, I rarely come back empty handed. Like somebody once said, "leave no trace".

Couldn't disagree more about the turtle net. Can't take credit for it, but was happy the other evening to utilize the access provided by whoever took the section down. No big deal... They're not laying eggs right now and it can be repaired with one new stake when the time comes. :)

Nice to know I have some help in the area...;) :) Keep up the good work.:)

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Keeper Seeker said:
Couldn't agree more with you about the litter of all sorts. It certainly "has started". :( Even though I don't always catch, I rarely come back empty handed. Like somebody once said, "leave no trace".

Couldn't disagree more about the turtle net. Can't take credit for it, but was happy the other evening to utilize the access provided by whoever took the section down. No big deal... They're not laying eggs right now and it can be repaired with one new stake when the time comes. :)

Nice to know I have some help in the area...;) :) Keep up the good work.:)
If we are talking the same spot it is only a 15 yard walk at most, that is pretty damn lazy if you ask me. In some spots I can understand, but to park your truck 10 yards closer??? Anyway, what annoys me is that they have to put them in the middle of the grass pulloff. Why cant they hug the edge of the brush???? Who puts them up, the Wetlands Institute? I want to contact whoever is in charge to see why they do that, probably to deter fisherman obviously. No need to cause problems though.

RyanF

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
RyanF said:
If we are talking the same spot it is only a 15 yard walk at most, that is pretty damn lazy if you ask me. In some spots I can understand, but to park your truck 10 yards closer??? Anyway, what annoys me is that they have to put them in the middle of the grass pulloff. Why cant they hug the edge of the brush???? Who puts them up, the Wetlands Institute? I want to contact whoever is in charge to see why they do that, probably to deter fisherman obviously. No need to cause problems though.

RyanF
I think it is the Turtle Patrol, not sure what company there with. I was thinking the same thing. Avalon being all ritzy and the boulevard looks like sh!t. Put the damn nets by the bushes already...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Joe R. said:
I know of 2 freshwater spots that were private prop. and the owners let people fish there, state stocked w/trout...trash made the owners post it and the state stopped stocking it at the owners request

Joe R
20ft classic SeaCraft
Susie II
I'm always amazed that someone who enjoys the outdoors could litter the places they fish. Unbelievable. My son (11 years old) and I always have a bag and pick up trash when we trout fish. Last year another fisherman approached us as we were picking up trash. Turned out he was the land owner and he said we weren't the only ones he's seen picking up trash that wasn't theirs. He said it was the main reason he wouldn't post the property.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Trash

It's a cryin shame to see the crap people leave behind.Last night I was fishin a new spot at least to me and found a 55 gal white trash can every 20 yds or so.As I walked out to the spot I wanted to fish I picked up trash along the way and put it in the cans.I don't understand these &@!!$#%**!#@$$$ people who leave their crap for others to pick up.At one of my favorite jetty's there's trash everywhere.It sucks!!!!Might just as well go fish in the city!!!!

FC:mad:

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Was out on a stretch of sod south of Avalon this afternoon and it looked like the Heineken fairy came since last I was there and dropped a case of empties all over the place. I grabbed a massive ball of old mono out of the reeds and stuffed it in the truck...its amazing the level of slobriety in some folks.

Plus side is I think we've got a convert. Took a decidedly non-fisherman friend of mine out and set him up with a clam rig and some frozen critters I'd shucked last fall while I tossed a bucktail around. No signs of life but it was good to blow the rust out. By the time I had the guy straight on the basic workings of a spinning reel he was mulling over purchasing a set-up.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
glennexit13 said:
Was out on a stretch of sod south of Avalon this afternoon and it looked like the Heineken fairy came since last I was there and dropped a case of empties all over the place. I grabbed a massive ball of old mono out of the reeds and stuffed it in the truck...its amazing the level of slobriety in some folks.

Plus side is I think we've got a convert. Took a decidedly non-fisherman friend of mine out and set him up with a clam rig and some frozen critters I'd shucked last fall while I tossed a bucktail around. No signs of life but it was good to blow the rust out. By the time I had the guy straight on the basic workings of a spinning reel he was mulling over purchasing a set-up.
Nice work on the clean-up and the recruit!

Did you clean up all the empties? With crap like that its tough to point a finger at a bunch of stupid kids or a bunch of stupid fisherman. But, I see fisherman doing it alot and I never see kids drinking under the bridges or anywhere near any of my spots.

RyanF

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
No I didn't grab the bottles, but not because of lack of want...had no bags on me and you can only get so many bottles into a 5 gallon bucket with a quart of clams, rigs, lead etc etc etc. Now that I'm back in the swing of going down there, I plan on doing a little picking up.

I'm like a hawk for balls of old mono though, that one bothers me more than any pile of glass.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts