BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience launching at Jakes Landing Road ramp and motoring down to the bay? Looking to do some fluke fishing in Delaware Bay. Is this a good idea or are there better places to launch closer to the bay? Appreciate any tips and advice -

696 Posts
I don't know where Jake's Landing is but if your boat isn't too big you can put in at Higbee;s or double "A" in fortesque. Higbee;s takes your boat off your trailer with a sling for 20$, Double "A" you put it in yourself for 10$>

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
You will be better off either using the ramps at Matts Landing or going over to the other side to Longreach or Port Norris. These ramps are nicer and better taken care of. Or you could go down to Bayway, there has been problems with break ins of vehicles at Jakes Landing.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Agree with finally on the theft thingie. It is a good launch, but no supervision. I had a truck there yrs back, and came in to a broken window, stolen clothes bags, and a friends wallet missing! Behind the seat were 2 shotguns, but they never looked? The mouth is really shallow at low tide too. I'd go too Bidwell. Smokey is right at the bay at the end of Reeds Beach road also.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I went to Jakes Landing on Sunday at it was a swarm of greenhead flies wanting to attack anything that moved!! There were three trucks with trailers parked. It is very secluded and never patrolled. I would not suggest using it. The longreach is not expensive and closer to the bay.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Jakes is very muddy. 4x4 recommended, unless you want to lose your truck.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Havn't been there in yrs, but muddy? The fairly new concrete ramp? I know about the old (lol) "launch"! Been there, done that.

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
I used to launch from the Jake's Landing Road during duck season all the time. The ramp is a decent ramp, and I have seen guys launch boats up to 26' feet from there at higher tides. However, as mentioned, it is very out of the way which makes it attractive to thieving scumbags & vandals. :mad:

I think during duck season the thieves are kept a little more under control, since they know there could be camoflauged guys with shotguns in the marsh around the area willing to defend their property - whereas anglers tend to run all the way out the creek to the bay and aren't always armed.:(

Another problem with this launch (especially during times like now with a new moon) is that the parking area can flood at high tide, and you may find your tow vehicle sitting in saltwater at high tide.:eek:

- Gr8ful

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
on the hook said:
Havn't been there in yrs, but muddy? The fairly new concrete ramp? I know about the old (lol) "launch"! Been there, done that.
Yeah, muddy, especially at lower tides. At dead high you have no problem, though. Sure, there's concrete under there somewhere... ;)
My truck is only a 4x2 and royally sucks at most of the Del Bay ramps. That silty mud is like an oil slick on the ramps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts