1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For Your Information!!!!

JCAA Position Paper on Striped Bass Bonus Program
Press Release, February 23 2005

(from Jersey Coast Anglers Association April 2005 Newsletter)

At a February 22 membership meeting of Jersey Coast Anglers Association the club representatives discussed and voted on the JCAA preferred option for the bonus tag program if the present striped bass regulations remain in effect. We also voted unanimously that the Division of Fish and Wildlife should take the Striped Bass Bonus program to public hearings throughout the state so the general public could give their input. JCAA in making this decision considered the following:

1. The bonus tag program may well experience more requests for tags than ever before. We need to consider how to handle those requests and be fair and equitable to all of the anglers fishing in New Jersey?s waters.

2. The bonus tag program must be closely monitored to make sure we don?t overfish the quota.

With these issues in mind, the JCAA has decided that a lottery system would be the most fair and equitable way to distribute tags. The Division of Fish & Game would administer this lottery and it would establish clear dates for the start date and end of date for the acceptance of applications for tags to be entered into the lottery. The Division would also establish the number of tags to be distributed. It would be either two tags per applicant (7,500 to 9,500 tags) or one tag per applicant (17,000 to 19,000 tags). The other possibility is to distribute tags on a first-come- first-served basis until the tag limit is reached.

The JCAA also voted to keep the existing bonus tag program at the present fish size limit of 28 inches or larger.

The Division of Fish and Game is experiencing budget problems. To take some of the pressure off the bonus tag program, JCAA is willing to put $3000 into the program to help pay the expense of mailing the tags. JCAA also realizes the staff time required to run the program. Some of our members would be willing to help with the mailing as volunteers.

To simplify the application process, JCAA suggests the application form be made available on the Division of Fish and Wildlife webpage for downloading. Most JCAA clubs are willing to post an application form on club webpages and the JCAA webpage would be available as well. JCAA could put the application in the JCAA Newspaper and help distribute additional applications to tackle stores and other venues. If the decision is made to have a lottery, JCAA would suggest having the lottery as soon as possible after a public hearings.

If the regulations had been changed in a timely manner, allowing for 2 fish at 28 inches, JCAA would have supported the administration of the program in its present form. However, we understand the Division needs to get the program under way and we feel this is the most equitable solution. In 1998 we supported expanding the program to allow party and charter boats and tackle stores to issue or reissue tags. Given the anticipated demand for tags under the current regulations this is just not feasible. We must design a program under which all anglers believe they are treated equally. If the regulations were changed to 2 fish at 28 inches, JCAA would support returning to the method of tag distribution established in 1998.

Bruce B. Smith

President of JCAA

[email protected]

WEB PAGE www.jcaa.org

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
The system has worked well for years and now, in their inimitable wisdom, the JCAA has decided that they have the solution to the so-called problem. i hope their stand on this does not screw up the season . Seems to me that the decision on how the program should be run rests with the folks that run it- NJ Fish and Game. I believe that they know what is best and political pressure from groups that have no experience in this area can really cause us all problems. Remember what almost happened to our striper regs last season? Just my opinion but I believe it makes sense.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well, I don't like what I've just read in the above post by BlueFinn. I agree with Capt Steve. The NJ fish and Game has done well with the program up to this point. Let THEM do the job and figure out the best way to implement the the bonus card now. Also I think that all the charter and party boat capt. that have particapated for years in the program can not be put into the same category as the rest of the fishing population. It is a different animal entirely. If the charter and party boat Capt's that are part of the program are not able to participate to the same extent we have in the past, the info that we document on all Bass brought to the boat will not be as efective. I belive we are the ones that compile most of the info. I think this is very important and needs to be looked at carefully by the FISH & Game COMM.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Another case of the JCAA deciding whats best for you, :mad: sticking there nose into the Fish and game business which has been done by the state since the program was implented(Even did a good job)
NOW WE ARE GOING TO HAVE A "LOTTERY " FOR A BONUS TAG? :eek: I HAVE SENT MY INFO IN EVERY YEAR,NOW PUT ME IN THE LOTTERY? YEAH,RIGHT,THAT SOUNDS FAIR TO ALL TO PEOPLE WHO FISH FOE STRIPERS? :mad: I FORGOT,THERE IS A SHORTAGE OF STRIPERS IN NJ :rolleyes: ,JUST BECAUSE THERE AREN'T ALOT OF BASS UP IN N. JERSEY DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE ENDANGERED. I AGREE,WE MUST MANAGE THE RESOURE.BUT THIS PLAN SOUNDS VERY A$$IN NINE? THIS ,ALONG WITH CERTAIN MEMBERS WHO ARE ON THE BOARD OF THE JCAA,AND THERE ACTIONS,ARE THE REASON I WOULD NEVER SUPPORT THEM,OR GIVE THEM A DONATION,OR EVEN BY A RAFFLE TICKET FROM. DO YOU REALLY THINK $3000 IS GOING TP MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN KEEPING THE BONUS PROGRAM? THAT IS PEANUTS TO THE STATE :rolleyes: ANOTHER THING TO THINK ABOUT IS HEAD BOATS AND CHARTER CAPTS,ATE THEY GOING TO PUT IN THE LOTTERY ALSO?

·
Registered
782 Posts
"the JCAA has decided"

"If the regulations had been changed in a timely manner, allowing for 2 fish at 28 inches, JCAA would have supported the administration of the program in its present form. However, we understand the Division needs to get the program under way and we feel this is the most equitable solution. In 1998 we supported expanding the program to allow party and charter boats and tackle stores to issue or reissue tags. Given the anticipated demand for tags under the current regulations this is just not feasible. We must design a program under which all anglers believe they are treated equally. If the regulations were changed to 2 fish at 28 inches, JCAA would support returning to the method of tag distribution established in 1998."

Look who's playing games now!

I guess it's ok to screw party boats and tackle stores in the process of fulfilling your agenda.

Cannibalism at its finest!

·
Registered
782 Posts
"Most JCAA clubs are willing to post an application form on club webpages and the JCAA webpage would be available as well. JCAA could put the application in the JCAA Newspaper and help distribute additional applications to tackle stores and other venues."
------------------------------------

I'm sorry, but if you are a boat capt or tackle store owner this should make you sick to your stomach. I really feel sorry for those adversely affected by the economics of this situation.

The whole benefit of you distributing tags is so you can increase your customer interaction rates. And here JCAA decides it's better the fisherman does not visit you for the tags, but instead them. Oh, and they will "help" distribute some to stores and venues. Why no specific mention of distribution through other fishing organizations?

So JCAA wants equal fishing opportunities for all, but marketing opportunities specifically geared towards them. And they use the [email protected] as an excuse to rip off the fishing community business owners in order to increase their member rate.

I hope everybody here understands marketing, because obviously the JCAA does.

[ 03-24-2005, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: sunnydaze ]

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Of course, last year he JCAA opposed the 2 at 28" as I remember. Hmmm I guess that times change...

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have my own views regarding Fishing regulations some are in line with the JCAA others differ !
I posted this thread FYI So please don't shoot the messinger!

I receive the JCAA E mail updates as well as information from the RFA and NRA DU NJWA the aforementioned orginazations deal with issues that concern my interests.

If you notice the primary letter in this thread contained a hyper link to the JCAA which provides access to there site, The JCAA is a member driven organization just like every other. May I suggest that if your views differ from there goals that you contact them and make your views known!

I also think that NJF&W Marine fisheries division has accomplished much in the presiveration of the resource, however keep in mind that they are under the direct controll of the DEP and MR Bradley Campbell has put his cards on the table regarding Wildlife issues and has given in to those not so friendly to are goals.

Posting your thoughts in threads and replys in avenues like the BassBarn.com and others have a desired effect but not the same effect as direct communication with the agency's and groups involved.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Capt. Mike,
Hey. I sure didn't mean to in any way "shoot the mesenger". I realize that you posted the info as an informational thing and I was reacting to their policy not to your post. I also agree with some of the JCAA's ideas but I do think that ,in particular some of their "spokesmen" are on a different mission than the organization is.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Capt Steve:
Capt. Mike,
Hey. I sure didn't mean to in any way "shoot the mesenger". I realize that you posted the info as an informational thing and I was reacting to their policy not to your post. I also agree with some of the JCAA's ideas but I do think that ,in particular some of their "spokesmen" are on a different mission than the organization is.
No offence Taken Capt.
As you know sometimes these threads get side tracked by accident,Im guilty of this myself! :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bonus card is a great concept - when used as intended. Release the smaller fish and save the card for that trophy fish we all dream of. I certainly understand from time to time someone will use the tag to bring home some meat. The thing that has bothered me in the pass is that some charter boats (not all) will encourage taking the third fish, letting the customer know that they will provide tags to all that have caught 3 fish. I have witnesses this on a larger head boat (Name will be withheld). In fact I have also seen people leave slot fish lying on the boat. Certainly the actions of all can not necessarily be controlled, but lets not create a feeding fenzy with bonus cards.
The distribution of cards in my opinion should continue and charter operations should be allowed to participate. But is there a way to put limits to avoid the wholesale saughter seen on some head boats. Come on guys - how often do you really need that third fish? As for the charter if your putting people on fish, the action will bring them back. Not to mention they may want to go out for that meat another day. A couple fish is great but a frezzer full more often than not gets wasted. I don't expect this to be the most popular post and no hard feelings are indended.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Big one,
It really sucks when some folks take advntage of a program, I agree. It is important to remember that the bonus fish are the commercial allottment of fish given to the rec angler since there is no sale of stripers here in NJ. It is alo, as I have been told in the past , a good idea to be sure that we use this resource given to us or face the possibility of not having it. In addition, the reports that we make of every trip do contribute important data to detemine the health of the stock, etc. On my boat, and many other charter boats, I use the tags when we are not catching fish that the angler can keep under the law. By using them, the fisherman has a fish to take home and that is a god thing. The state issues us 25 tags and last year I fished 45 days. That is less than 1 per trip but very nice to have when all we are catching are 28-32" fish. Hey 2 nice fish a day is plenty for folks who like to eat them.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Big One, the bonus tag as Capt. Steve mentioned is for the commercial quota alloted to NJ. The bonus program allows the state to monitor the catch so the quota is not over harvested. It is not intended to be used for a larger or "trophy" fish. However, that does not mean that it can't be changed to be used for a larger fish.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Everbody is *ich*** & moaning about the regs on the bass. Why not let them stand for this year and see if the new Fed survey that is going to come out in August will cause a change. By the way if my memory is correct, didn't the original striper bill (years ago) state that the bill could only be revisited after three years or when the national requirements necitated the change??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.