BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to jump on the Gambler out of Point Pleasant yesterday for some "local" cod. With a stiff breeze and a little bit of slop (lots of sheep in the pasture,as one of my buddies likes to say), we made our way for a couple of hours to stop number one. There is nothing cooler than seeing almost an entire boat hook up simultaneously. Bite remained hot for most of the first hour, then died out to a slow pick for the next hour or so. The fish caught ranged from about 6 to 12 pounds, with a few pushing 20 and a nice 35 pounder caught by the guy next to me (figures :D). A big move to stop number two resulted in a decent pick of smaller cod until the spiny dogs found us. Next couple of moves resulted in similar; a few cod, a few ling, and dogs. By the end of the day, the seas went completely flat, making for a beautiful trip in. Catches ranged from 1-6 fish. Not the Block Island numbers I've been hearing about, but maybe a little better quality and a great trip by Jersey standards.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Your Jersey trip was better than our Montauk Trip, at least for yesterday it was. Went out on the Miss Montauk's new boat, The Fishin Xpress, well, new to them. It was purchased in Florida and yesterday was only their second cod trip. The boat's cabin was not designed well for anxious or tired fisherman. Get this, there was NO heat in the cabin and with 40 degree temps and 20-30 knot winds, you couldn't get warm anywhere. They did give out free coffee.

The bite was non existant. Maybe 10 fish on the entire boat, and we stayed out longer than usual. Wasn't the Capt's fault, He tried very hard to find fish that would bite. They just weren't there yesterday. Didn't see many fish caught on any of the other, and there were many, boats floating yesterday.

Long sad trip. The company was great but the fish didn't think they were invited...:huh:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Man you should count your blessings. I spent the day on the water looking for ling and cod yesterday and didn't get a bite. Lost a ton of lead and never got a sniff. Maybe 10 keepers on the boat and one good one won the pool(19lb). Some ling but not a good day. Sometimes it's good and sometimes it's not. Weather was good and the company was too. I just wanted to say it's not all great out there.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
nice

Should have gone with them yesterday as i got skunked on the ocean explorer out of belmar on ling.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Glad to hear you had a decent trip and it is nice to see the cod stocks coming back in good numbers. We will start up here on April 16th on Stellwagen due to the federal closure which is BS but the law. The commercials have been doing well and I believe it will be overall good trips with limits of cod and many haddock in the mix due to the no bag limit.

Thanks for the report and I hope you have a great spring and summer.

Capt Dave

·
Registered
238 Posts
Miss Montauk ?

Your Jersey trip was better than our Montauk Trip, at least for yesterday it was. Went out on the Miss Montauk's new boat, The Fishin Xpress, well, new to them. It was purchased in Florida and yesterday was only their second cod trip. The boat's cabin was not designed well for anxious or tired fisherman. Get this, there was NO heat in the cabin and with 40 degree temps and 20-30 knot winds, you couldn't get warm anywhere. They did give out free coffee.

The bite was non existant. Maybe 10 fish on the entire boat, and we stayed out longer than usual. Wasn't the Capt's fault, He tried very hard to find fish that would bite. They just weren't there yesterday. Didn't see many fish caught on any of the other, and there were many, boats floating yesterday.

Long sad trip. The company was great but the fish didn't think they were invited...:huh:
I saw capt.working hard and good mates too.
We could have done better if we were in a normal boat.
Normal boat? this boat is simply BAD boat for fishermen to fish.
I really wanted to tell everyone about it.
you just cannot lean on the rail. Either your body lean against rail 45 degree toward to sea or you have to stand up 1 yard away from the rail then how do you balance yourself? You have nothing to hold onto.
Now I have been cod fishing 5 weeks in a row to Montauk, Rhode Island,Ma on sunday - 5 to 6 hours drive.
I just could not react to a bite in timely manner on this boat. I too skunked.
I felt I was really cheated.
Captain worked very hard I could see it. But he should either fix the boat or sink in somewhere in the middle of the sea and work for someone else or buy a used boat similar to most others.
Even you pay me to go with the boat, I will not. My time is more precious.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.