BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
headed out to our back bay spot sun morn. met with rough seas and lots of wind , especially for a 14 ft polarcraft. anyway took the short ride to our spot and boy did we get wet.dropped our 35 traps . we decided after the second time around that we are heading in so we pulled up all our traps on our third time around and headed home. we kept 3 dozen nice crabs in our less than an hour wet boat trip, 2 to 4 ft of water . boy it was cold and wet. crabs are still here if you want them , but we are done and heading out for the striped ones from here on out.bb

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Ended Sat with 58 while "fishing" :D Mostly at slack high. After getting quite a few on the baits, I put a chunk over on a handline. Gettin 3 at a time. Once the tide started ripping out, we had a hard time gettin em in to the boat. most of em we just picked up and hoisted in. They wouldn't let go. Gonna take some traps next week! What creeks are you in Bob, that has 2-4 footers? I know the area WELL. BTW, I have a 14' Polarkraft also. Duck boat.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im in the absecon area. the water was two foot to four feet deep that i was catching, and incoming tide. my polarcraft is old, leaks a bit. the bilge gets a workout on it. this winter i have to find some of the leaks or get a newer 14 to 16 ft crabbing boat. great season for crabs this year. have at least 5 or more bushels in the freezers for the winter. bb

·
Registered
211 Posts
Brown bob, is there anything special to do to the crabs before freezing them, I didnt know they would keep. Willie in NEPA

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what i do, from direction of wetdream. catch, clean them but DO NOT rinse out with water. turn upside down to dry a bit and put in ziploc bags. then freeze. i have tried steaming them after being frozen but some come out mushy. my best results have been by boiling water and then putting the crabs in .bb

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Yes Put them in boiling water frozen. after the boil returns go another 10 min or so. Add all your spices to the water. As Bob said steaming makes em mushy. Sounds like you got it down pretty good. I have about 3 bushels of chestr jumbos 7-9 inchers in the freezer for when the snow comes. We have a tradition of having crabs anytime it snows. Also for Christmas dinner. Gotta luv it when they're going for 80 $ per doz in Feb

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks for the info, goin back down to nj one of these days and will have to get some crabs to freeze for the winter. thanks again Willie in NEPA

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i put ice on them and then i save the ice in bags and put them back in the freezer to be reused a few times. as the crabs are getting cold i use that time to flush my motor and clean up things. themn we go to town with the crabs. only rinse out the crabs that you are not freezing. the claws also dont fALLL OFF WHEN THE CRABS ARE NUMB. bb

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Jay man,
I do it two ways.
Way number 1.
Drink a six-pack of beer of your choice. ;)
Reach in grab crab by the back and pin down one side and tear back off from point to point.
If the crab bites you bite it back. ;) :D

Way number 2.
Ice them down and they will become dormant.
Tear back off.
I don?t like breaking their claws off.

[ 10-25-2005, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: capthersch ]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.