BASS BARN banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK.... so it was not a NJ jetty :rolleyes:

Hit the rocks by South Inlet in Boca raton this morning with my trusty little backbay baitcasting setup.... Citica reel with a 7' vintage Cabelas bass flippin rod. Originally thowing a jumpin minnow trying to spook up a topwater strike from....anything. Kind thought I might be bringing a knife to a gunfight, but I had landed a couple decent snook on this rig before and figure if it could take that, I could manage a few jacks or ladyfish with it no problem.

After an hour of cold water no luck (it has been in the 40's at night here) I switched over to a trusty Yozuri Crystal Minnow and started blind casting and crankin. On about the third cast it got crushed and I was off to the races.

The first run dumped the little reel almost down to the backing and when the fish jumped it was too far away forme to even see what it was. I was thinking big spanish or small kingfish from the run.

Started recovering some PP and then the second run fired up with about 100 yds of braid out... it was so cool to see it just slice across the water at about 40 mph... crazy visual. If it went away from me instead of parallel I easily would have been spooled in a few seconds.

Finally horsed it over too the rocks after a short third tear and then the whole..."now how do I finally land this toothy bastard and get my plug back" thing came into play. Razor sharp coral, even sharper teeth, and the damn thing is almost 3' long... no way it gets released in the water.

Grabbed a couple wraps of leader and jacked the badboy up on the rocks and reached to my belt for my pliers figuring this was going to be some dangerous dental work... I am eyeballing him trying to figure out an attack plan and he curls up, swings his head and literally chucks the lure right at my feet! Now that is what I call a cooperative 'Cuda!

Back in drink for speedy and my day is made.... its going to take a crowbar to get the sh*t-eating grin off my face today. :cool:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
awesome. i want a daily report from you even if it's "livelined some pinfish today...didn't catch anything". we can live through the warmer people.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm told fishing the beach around here is a waste of time unless you do it at night so finding this one spot that holds some fish and feels a "little" like a NJ jetty is going to make it my new home field.

Will fish... will post.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Del Ray Beach just north of Boca has a pier. Stan's Rest/Bar is on the strip there always had good food and great views. Looks for spots along the intercoastal waterway for snook and baby (5-30lb)tarpoon. Have fun.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not much of a pier guy.... no disrespect, but I like to climb on rocks or wade or go real fast.... that leaning on the rail thing just isn't my thing.

I have driven MILES looking for a decent spot to access the intercoastal where I can wade at lower tides or get at some structure from the seawall... man, there just ain't nothin but concrete, no trespasssing signs, and tall fences around here :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I don't fish piers but it's structure you can fish from the beach. Up toward Del Ray along A1A there were spots to access the waterway. I'm sure you have done the obvious and asked at one of the local tackle shops and I might look for "locals" at a laundry mat for some help.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I am just going to have to take up drinking in the daytime and fishing at night....

Talked to a guy at a shop who had 5 snook last night... I was eatin pizza and drinkin beer.... :huh:

Nothing from the rocks this morning, but the boat traffic coming out of South Inlet was nothing short of ridiculous... channel between the jetties is maybe 50 yds wide...guys were blowin past each other at 30kts... what a circus!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
It's Sat. in Florida too!!

When your on vacation you tend to loose track of what day of the week it is not to mention that your there at the begining of their busy season.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Nice place caught 175lb tarpon on 22 ft skiff about 2 miles inside the inlet great fishing in and around the islands . Look for the big white spots in the shallows shell beds. Hold trout, drum. Snaper under the trees what aplace to fish careful with the sharks 12too14 feet.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not on vacation!

I'm...uhh... doin research... yeah... research for an article on.... uh.. fishing... yeah, I'm on a business trip to do research so I can write an article on fishing in Florida and I'm gonna sell it to a magazine.

And that 12 pack of Stella.... it's an expense to hydrate after a hard day in the sun doin research on a business trip... yeah... that's the ticket. :D

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
To hear you having a good trip - it was nice talking at TD before you left.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice place caught 175lb tarpon on 22 ft skiff about 2 miles inside the inlet great fishing in and around the islands . Look for the big white spots in the shallows shell beds. Hold trout, drum. Snaper under the trees what aplace to fish careful with the sharks 12too14 feet.
I really am starting to think I need to take a sea trial on a flats boat... and not come back for 4 or 5 hours....:D

Rhino... good to meet you too bro... did you figure out which rod to buy?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts