BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rig's put up for the winter but I wanted to do some toggin' because I just think they're the best tasing stuff out there. I thought I'd hit the south jetty at Barnegat Light with some clams and green crabs and put some heavy running line on and bring a few extra rigs. I expect I should be able to just drop the line right over the edge of the rocks and find them. I was thinking about using my surf rod for some extra length instead of my 7 footer. I've only hit the sod banks in the back for these guys before so if anyone has any suggestions or tips for the rocks I'd love to hear them. Would they be on the inside or the outside of the Jetty?

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
wear korkers
bring plenty of rigs/lead.
i'd fish hour before/after high tide.
fish are right under the lighthouse but will be crowded. keep moving ntil you find a good bite.
yes i've used my 10ft surf rod to pull em up.

Nick

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Surf Rat and Red for that previous post.
My mouth is watering. I'll be armed and dangerous come Saturday morning!!! Let you guys know how I make out!

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I might give some Sodbank tog fishing a try sunday after work since i cant catch a damn striper. Tell me how you make at Barnegat. There should be some BIGGENS around right about now!!!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
not sure if they are still around but I like to use the sand fleas that you can dig up right on the beach by the surfline. I know in sept-oct. you can get 100 in about 15 min. of digging. I have fished that area many times and have done very well on them. I also use my 10' penn slammer surf rod. with 30 pound line. I like to use a 6oz sinker and just drop between the rocks and hold on. I find it easier to use the longer rod to reach the outside of the rocks, I just drop it in, I never have to cast.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tog 5... Dirty Rotten 0.
Worked most of the South Jetty with green crabs on Saturday. Walked up and down trying different spots but could find anything. There were two other guys out there but they couldn't find them either. Came back right next to the Light House and there were some little baby Togs picking on the bait but that was it. A handful of guys on the rocks there with no fish. I had high hopes for the day but after loosing all the lead I had with me to the rocks I called it a day empty handed. It was real nice out there in the morning though. No boats. Didn't really see much of anything happening. Nice day. I'll hit it again this weekend. See what happens.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Just use nuts and bolts, or old useless spark plugs laying around your garage/basement. No need to waste $$ on lead that you're going to lose anyway!!! :D

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had a terrific month with back bay tog - releasing many over 5 lbs - until last weekend. Now they're smaller and harder to come by. Right after the season opens - go figure! :rolleyes:
Don't think they've been overfished, but I wonder if that storm last week pushed them outside.
BTW, tog are the PERFECT C&R fish, because they're very hardy and a lot of fun to catch. If we thought about them as we do stripers, people wouldn't just start fishing for them on Nov. 15. IMHO

·
Registered
27 Posts
Fly T is right on. Go to your local tower builder/antenna installer (Trane,Commercial etc.) and ask if they have any large nuts & bolts. They will gladly give you some. They have them left over from things they build and they are usually galv'ed so they can't even scrap them. I know, I have 5gal. buckets full and their all I use in the rocks.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Figures, I few years ago I was doing lot of tower and roof top work on the wireless side of telecom. If I had only known!! Time to look up some old contacts. I'm hoping the Tog come back into that area. I'll keep looking till I find them. Gotta get some.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Ya well, it was a really nice crab trap and it put up a heck of a fight in that current ;) Much bigger then your 3 inch Bergall! LOL! Thinking the cold snap put the tog on the move. Heard one other report from someone here who said he had some Tog there over the weekend?

·
Registered
791 Posts
i had 4 nice tog monday on the rocks under the lighthouse. Maybe i caught them all. :D There was quite a few small ones mixed in. I also tried again wednessday with not even a bite. But the wind was honkin on something fierce and colder than all get out. I'm gonna try again sunday.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.