BASS BARN banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an OTI 60-100lb jigging rod for Christmas and now its time to find it a reel. I have an Avet HX 2 speed set up as my pitch rod. Is that reel ok for jigging? Can I get away with a single speed HX? Or should I put the HX I have on the jigging reel and get a new reel for the pitch rod? Any input would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
we used the HX raptor for tuna to 300# last year.
the AR is not the best for a jigging reel, its a little sloppy.
some jig guys find that anoying.
the guys using it loved it.

we also use the 500 and 600 series accurates with good success.
they would be a better choice for a solid feel.

and there are alot of other choices..as you will soon see:D

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Cap, that reel will work fine. I had someone next to me fight a tuna for 30min before the hook pulled. No issues. Is it the best option, no. But it will work. If your dead set on a second reel then I would consider a jigging
Master pe10 or pe8 . If you have any questions please give us a call.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you have the reel already, it will work just fine. As said above, it's not the ideal jigging reel because of the slop in the antireverse. I wouldn't go and buy it for jigging.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Lately I've been on a buy American kick and I'm sort of a Penn (Int'l) and Avet type of guy already. Has anyone had luck with Penn Torque LD's?

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. Lately I've been on a buy American kick and I'm sort of a Penn (Int'l) and Avet type of guy already. Has anyone had luck with Penn Torque LD's?
Ask Mark on the Canyon runner about the Torque's. I believe thats what they use for their jigging set ups..

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Capt. Joe. That's one heck of a reference. I wish I was even close their fishing standards!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just picked up a Penn 12 VSX. I didn't get it for jigging (got it for chunking) but, it could be used that way. A bit heavy but could work. My jigging reel is a Daiwa Saltiga LD 35, IMO a great jigging reel, not american made though. I think the Canyon Runner will approve of the 12 VSX also.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Jigging Master or Accurate

I agree with Joe. The pe10 0r pe8 would be the reel of choice. The HX will work but the slop could affect the hook set. The Penn Torque in my opinion is a POS!!! I have one and a few of my friends do as well. They are garbage and I have since sold mine...thank god!!! If you go Penn try the small VSX's as recommended above!! The Saltiga is a nice reel as well from what I've heard.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
The 12VSX is outstanding but hasn't past the test of time yet.

In all our opinons on the Canyon Runner (Mark, Phil, Me Deane Kobey et al) the Penn 16VSX might be the best reel ever made for many applications including jigging.

We watch reel after reel being brought on our boat in North Carolina to go after these 200-600 pound bluefin and we watch almost everyone get wiped out after a couple fish - sometimes just one fish. But our 16VSX fish all of March and April without ever missing a beat or needing to be worked on.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
The 12VSX is outstanding but hasn't past the test of time yet.

In all our opinons on the Canyon Runner (Mark, Phil, Me Deane Kobey et al) the Penn 16VSX might be the best reel ever made for many applications including jigging.

We watch reel after reel being brought on our boat in North Carolina to go after these 200-600 pound bluefin and we watch almost everyone get wiped out after a couple fish - sometimes just one fish. But our 16VSX fish all of March and April without ever missing a beat or needing to be worked on.
Thats what I heard about the reels..
I might build 2 silver VSX's and try them out down there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts