BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, lately there have been many posts about jigging rods for tuna fishing on here. I like the idea behind the shimano trevala rods, but the line burning into the grip worries me (especially if my hands are anywhere near). What would some of you guys who are experienced jiggers suggest as an alternative rod that would be somewhat similar in weight and style. Perhaps the top three to five blanks to be used. I already have a set of calstar graphiters (XH) and i would like something lighter and more sporty. The reel used would be putting anywhere from 12 to 18 lbs of drag out at strike (be using 40 to 60 lb line). Maybe paul or Ksong would be kind enough to comment and anyone else who has some input? I have read the previous posts already and would like to get into this subject with a little more depth. thanks

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
check the JIGGING MASTER or OTI blanks would be worth a look for a hardcore jigging rod, if you are up for working something "special" i have a few blanks that i am working with;) ..if you are thinking about a serious JIGGING rod give me a call..i also have the depthfinder line..another very important part of jigging

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
JWMESQ said:
Hey Guys, lately there have been many posts about jigging rods for tuna fishing on here. I like the idea behind the shimano trevala rods, but the line burning into the grip worries me (especially if my hands are anywhere near). What would some of you guys who are experienced jiggers suggest as an alternative rod that would be somewhat similar in weight and style. Perhaps the top three to five blanks to be used. I already have a set of calstar graphiters (XH) and i would like something lighter and more sporty. The reel used would be putting anywhere from 12 to 18 lbs of drag out at strike (be using 40 to 60 lb line). Maybe paul or Ksong would be kind enough to comment and anyone else who has some input? I have read the previous posts already and would like to get into this subject with a little more depth. thanks
If you use only 40 -60 lbs line, Shimano Trevala rod, especially TFC58XXH is fine. Even with TFC58XXH, line touches your hand. It is not comfortable feeling, but it doesn't hurt. :)
Once you decide to use heavier line, there are many jigging rods are available.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
KSONG said:
If you use only 40 -60 lbs line, Shimano Trevala rod, especially TFC58XXH is fine. Even with TFC58XXH, line touches your hand. It is not comfortable feeling, but it doesn't hurt. :)
Once you decide to use heavier line, there are many jigging rods are available.[/quote

If i decided to pump up the line to where i was using 20-30 lbs of drag (basically 80 lb line) what would you recommend?

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
JWMESQ said:
If i decided to pump up the line to where i was using 20-30 lbs of drag (basically 80 lb line) what would you recommend?
First of all, you got to decide whether you jig with traditional East Coast style or new Japanese style.
If you fish with Japanese style, you can buy top of the line jigging rods from Angleres Proshop which import jigging rods directly from Japan.
There are many Japanese style rods are available in the US too.
I tested Hopper rod and OTI rods and I don't see any problem to use those rods for tuna jigging.

When you choose a tuna rods, I recommend to see line ratings and lure weight ratings together.
Shimano made a sin by misleading customers by claiming upto 200 line rating for Tevala rods. :) The heavist Tevala model TFC58XXH's line rating is 80 - 200 lbs and jig weight is 120 -270 gram.
The jig weight is right compared with other jigging rods, but line rating should be PE 4 - PE6 ( 40 - 60 lbs).

In my subjective opinion, I choose Japanese tuna jigging rods with line rating of PE 6 - PE8 and jig weight of 400 g - 500 g though we use lighter jigs for tuna.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
i second jpr he makes sick rods! got 2 from him still waitin to use the toggin stick:D tuna jigger he made me is also sick!!:D def gotta check him out hes got pretty much anything ull need for jigging!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I have pleanty of box store rods and they serve their purpose, but when it comes time for tuna fishing and jigging for them, I would suggest a custom rod built by some one who fishes this style and in this area (NE Canyons ).

JPR has some great rods, check him out and you won't be unhappy.:D

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
hattrickll said:
I have pleanty of box store rods and they serve their purpose, but when it comes time for tuna fishing and jigging for them, I would suggest a custom rod built by some one who fishes this style and in this area (NE Canyons ).

JPR has some great rods, check him out and you won't be unhappy.:D
Thanks. you wont be sorry with a JPR JIGGING ROD ....now we also have the OTI JIGGING LINE and Jigs and poppers;) ..along with their blanks, i am now looking to get in some local tackle stores (stores feel free to call me, before i call you;) ) for you guys for the upcoming tuna season..it will be a good one:D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
paul708 said:
did you check the OTI stuff..or this sweet spin rod
paul,

im gonna try to give you a call tomorrow to chat about some rods, but while im waiting how would you differentiate these three rods in comparable blanks (best idea is probably just coming down to check them out)

the gusa wahoo jr
OTI that is similar
similar Jigging Master

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
JWMESQ said:
paul,

im gonna try to give you a call tomorrow to chat about some rods, but while im waiting how would you differentiate these three rods in comparable blanks (best idea is probably just coming down to check them out)

the gusa wahoo jr
OTI that is similar
similar Jigging Master
wow, those three. all serious rods/ blanks,....OK..the JIGGING MASTER, if you are a SERIOUS jigging guy, this IS THE BLANK. these are short 5'6" or have been custom cut shorter. used for the rapid jig motion. spin or conventional, i find it hard to describe. but WOW or WTF is the usual sounds you get when testing, not much can compare to these. The OTI are new kids on the block..great product, 5'6" to 6' blanks. also can be made shorter,,they are composite. they have been successfully tested by some of the best jiggers in the world. again typically used for the short rapid style of jigging, great new product....the WAHOO JR. this is a shorter 7' version of the WAHOO 8' which kil uses for jigging..it is GRAPHITE ..it need a little care..if used as a fishing tool it is a monster, very light. tons of power. parabolic action same as the 8' but shorter, i worked with GUSA to design a blank that matches ..and we came up with a winner..this rod is used more for the drop and jig style, like any longer would be. the guys that "played" with this rod at the somerset show were amazed at the lightness, and Power

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
FISHNFOOL said:
Better put those orders in with Paul (JPR)Im hearing great things from OTI rods he also has all the blanks in stock and you can pull on them to see which you like, makes life so much better seeing and holding a rod blank first.
Joe... the OTI blanks are SWEET. did i find them for you at the somerset show:p :D .and the jigs and line are first class

·
Registered
385 Posts
I know, but after doing research I think I want to go a little heavier just in case thats why I think the 400 would be perfect!! I appreciate your assistance and it has been a pleasure working with you. I am already thinking about a popping rod to match? I want to see how this one comes out!! I know i won't be disappointed!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts