BASS BARN banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the shop this morning, had a customer come in to stock up on these small spoons and it made me think its a good "cabin fever" topic.

I have said many times, that I jig small spoons. My 2 favorite are Skip's Spoons and Maja's smallest spoon. I took a quick picture of Skips next to a Kroc. Shows the size comparison and helps make more sense for those of you who never tried it, or think its nonsense.

Several years ago, a customer who caught 40-50# bass almost every trip out let me in on his secret. Since then, I don't leave home without the 2 spoons I mentioned above. They really do make a great jig when bunker are around! Weighing 6 - 8ozs, they are the right weight too!

Anybody else use them? Or maybe you have another brand that would work? I know it works..... would like to hear what else is used. :)

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never have. . . how do you rig them/what weight?
However you would jig a regular jig, just do the same. The spoons are around 6ozs or 8ozs and often give off a unique action. No special tackle needed. If you were going to use AVA jigs, you would have your own way of connecting them. Just use that same method. The wider profiles do work pretty well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
new to boating

this may be a dumb question as I just bought a boat that I can finally get out of the back bay with. would I just be looking for structure and the hopefully marking some stripers , then jig down through the markings . I also picked up some umbrella rigs at the last show and will be trolling also . any techinques would be greatly appreciated .....

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
hey jettypounder, where are you fishing out of?

the general idea with jigging is you want to see some action on top, or some marks down below. while we have picked up fish jigging what seemed like dead water, its not really what you want to look for.

·
Registered
602 Posts
got a nice bass out of shark river last year, screwing around, reeling in a small maja spoon.
buddy was hooked up on a blue, and i was clearing a line...and while doing it, i thought i'd have some fun with it.

bass smashed the spoon 15ft down, straight under the boat.

·
Registered
40 Posts
jigging

Thanks for the reply Farrellx , I have a slip in Sea Isle this year . i,m looking foreward to getting out front and learning the tactics. I just move around these forums and see what info I can pick up .

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
ah i was going to say if you were up here i have tons of gear and would show you around a bit...but that's foreign land to me down there

1 - 8 of 8 Posts