BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 8 fishermen to fish Socorro Island/San Benedicto/Roca Partida for 8 days on the 65' Maximus from April 14 to April 22.
All fishermen on the trip are aware of all possible issues to fish Socorro Island on the Maximus. So we need blessing this time. :)

This is not a normal trip. It is a kind of adventure to cross 300 miles with 65' boat. But weather is usually calm in April. Once we get there, you are going to have a life time experience fishing 5 full days very close to the Islands.

Everyone on the trip should have a individual permit to fish there and the processing takes about 2 weeks. I am going to ask Capt Keith what kind of personal information is needed for the permit and everyone should the personal info by the end of Feb to me.
Because of permit issue, we can not replace on a short notice even if guys on the list can not make the trip for unexpected things. So full payment by March 15 is required.

List
1.kilsong
2.Dong Shin from Korea
3.Alex from Colorado
4.Fred from NJ
5.Ryan from NJ
6-8 From West Coast
9 cameraman

---------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very excited to see the results! I am thinking something like this for next year.
There is no doubt Panama is a great destination for fishing and I fished 5 times there in two years, but I'd like explore new destinations which I've never been.
I am also very excited to fish Madagascar off Africa for GT and dogtooth tuna in Nov.

------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
Good luck on this trip Kil....if it is a winner then please keep me in mind for the next one.

Plans are to spend the last week of this year in PV, so will probably run a couple of day trips and maybe an overnight.....won't get quite that far west however ;)

Tight Lines,

Frank

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good luck on this trip Kil....if it is a winner then please keep me in mind for the next one.

Plans are to spend the last week of this year in PV, so will probably run a couple of day trips and maybe an overnight.....won't get quite that far west however ;)

Tight Lines,

Frank
Frank,
I forgot about Madagascar trip in Nov. I hope the tip is before Thanksgivings so that I can make a trip to Dry Tortugas. I'll find out in a few days.

If tuna are in Roca Corbetena or El Banco, you can do a day trips, but the best bet is to fish off Tres Maria Island where you need an overnight trip.
Currently the Maximus and the Marla offer an overnight trip to the Island.
We didn't have big cow when I fished on the Maximus in early Dec last year, but we had tons of popping opportunity for smaller yft upto 120 lb.
Big tuna moved into the area in late Dec last year and they continue to catch big cow upto 300 lb now.

--------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
Thanks Kil....like I said, if you can't make KW due to Africa...I completely understand ;). Hopefully you can fit it in....I told Yuri we want to take a day out of the 4 day trip day and do nothing but deep jigging on the wrecks b/w 200 - 300'. If you need to put your family up in KW hotwire.com has good deals on 2 bedroom condos for around $150 / nt.

Will be my first time to PV so I look forward to tangling with some yft whether they be mediums all the way up to the cows. Want to try flying a kite with a "salami" (mackeral similar to our speedos down here in Florida) and see what happens :fighting:

Keep me posted.

Tight Lines,

Frank

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Frank,
good news is Madagascar trip is in early Nov and I can join the Dry Tortugas trip. Tell Yuri that I don't mind jigging tile and snowy grouper in 800 plus ft. :)
I'll call Yuri to send a deposit today.

Fast trolling with kite is pretty new here, but it is very popular in PV. I saw it is very effective when you need to cover wide area.

---------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
Kil,

Just saw your post.....a few days late ;). Glad you can make the trip. There is nothing like the Florida Keys to get away from it all. We will be departing Thanksgiving day at 8:00PM, returning around 2:00PM on Sunday. Lots of fishing time.

Thanks for the follow through. I am looking forward to fishing with you. Josh/Pain Relief is committed, so we have three anglers as definites, with a handful of maybes.

Anyone interested in taking a "Turkey Break" this Thanksgiving drop me an email at [email protected] (pls title email "Tortugas Trip" so it doesn't slip through the cracks) and I will fill you in on boat (we are going on the best boat with the famous Captain Yuri), etc. Boat max is six anglers, all get private bunks, a/c, shower, very fast and stable boat with a 22' beam, etc.

Tight Lines,

Frank

PS Spoke to a fellow barner last night who is going on your 15 day jig-n-pop on the Excel. Is there still room on this trip? What are the dates?

Frank,
good news is Madagascar trip is in early Nov and I can join the Dry Tortugas trip. Tell Yuri that I don't mind jigging tile and snowy grouper in 800 plus ft. :)
I'll call Yuri to send a deposit today.

Fast trolling with kite is pretty new here, but it is very popular in PV. I saw it is very effective when you need to cover wide area.

---------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Frank,
I called Yuri several times and finally could talk with him on Sunday.
$250 deposit is on the way to him.

Here is the trip schedule of 9/15 days on the Excel in Jan 2013.
Most fishermen on the trip fly to/from Cabo San Lucas.

Jan 22, 2013: The Excel leaves San Diego
Jan 25, 2013: Arrives at Cabo San Lucas/leaves Cabos
Feb 03, 2013: Returns to Cabos/Leaves Cabos after 9 days fishing
Feb 06, 2013: Returns to San Diego

10 spots are assigned to overseas fishermen and 15 spots are assigned to the US fishermen. Currently all 15 spots assigned to the US fishermen are booked and 6 spots are taken by overseas fishermen.
As more fishermen from the US want to join the trip, I might switch the remaining spots from overseas for fishermen in the US.

------------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
Thanks again Kil. Keep me posted on headcount as things materialize for this trip. If I don't do PV during the last week of this year, I may be inclined to join you on this trip should there be room.

The Tortugas trip will be a great time. Should you know another angler or two that may have interest, please feel free to share details. We will catch a lot of fresh dead and live bait prior to departure (goggle eye, pilchards, pinfish, cigar minnows, etc) out of Miami and Key Largo. Also plan on using the electrics in 1200 plus feet of water for the jumbo sized golden tiles and snowies...look forward to seeing you deep jig in 800'....I tried last time and got tired after two fish :). Make sure you have enough cooler space to take back lots of fillets to N.J.....

Tight Lines,

Frank

Frank,
I called Yuri several times and finally could talk with him on Sunday.
$250 deposit is on the way to him.

Here is the trip schedule of 9/15 days on the Excel in Jan 2013.
Most fishermen on the trip fly to/from Cabo San Lucas.

Jan 22, 2013: The Excel leaves San Diego
Jan 25, 2013: Arrives at Cabo San Lucas/leaves Cabos
Feb 03, 2013: Returns to Cabos/Leaves Cabos after 9 days fishing
Feb 06, 2013: Returns to San Diego

10 spots are assigned to overseas fishermen and 15 spots are assigned to the US fishermen. Currently all 15 spots assigned to the US fishermen are booked and 6 spots are taken by overseas fishermen.
As more fishermen from the US want to join the trip, I might switch the remaining spots from overseas for fishermen in the US.

------------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also plan on using the electrics in 1200 plus feet of water for the jumbo sized golden tiles and snowies...look forward to seeing you deep jig in 800'....I tried last time and got tired after two fish :). Make sure you have enough cooler space to take back lots of fillets to N.J.....

Tight Lines,

Frank
Frank, I am looking forward to the trip. It's been long time since I fished out of Key West.
It is funny that I am discussing about daytime jigging swordfish in 1500' - 1700' out of Miami day with manual reels. :)
I am not going to use electric reels for golden tile.
I usually don't bring fish home. I might bring a few small groupers to give my fishing friends who love grouper sashimi this time.

We are going to catch tons of big groupers in shallow water on the Socorro Island trip. One group who fished Socorro Island last year couldn't jig on the last day because they lost all jigs to huge groupers. :eek:

------------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The spot is taken today. We have full 8 fishermen now.

It is almost impossible to get a replacement on a short notice because it takes time to get Mexican permit if someone the trip can not make the trip due to unexpected things. So I like to have 9 fishermen instead of 8 fishermen just in case.

If anyone is interested in the trip, let me know.

Weather can be an issue for any trip. But April is usually calm there.

If we have good enough weather for the trip, I am positive it will be an life time trip for anyone. I'll do my best to make this trip memorable to everybody and minimize any issue on the trip.
As long as I am in charge, we don't come early and we fish 5 full days.
I expressed what I want to Capt Keith strongly and he agreed to all I said.
The boat has water making facility and two showers.
The food on the boat is not bad at all, but we plan to shop groceries and drinks before the trip to enjoy upgraded foods on the trip.
We even bring Sake or Korean Soju to drink with fresh sashimi every night.

-----------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had dinner with Capt Keith and mate Carlos of the Maximus after Fred Hall show.
Keith said he got a notice of Mexican Government recently that Socorro Island is closed for any vessel including diving boats except April 1 to April 20 due to navy exercise this year. It means our charter is the only boat who actually fish Socorro Island this year as our trip is on April 14 -22. You never know next year.

You still can fish San Benedicto or Roca Partida. The regulation applies to only Socorro Island.

I think our trip is set. All we need is a good weather.

------------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The 8 days trip to Benedicto/Socorro trip is only within a month.
It is time to talk about tackle.

Here are my tackle list:

rods:
8' Black Hole Cape Cod Special Nano
8' Black HOle Cape Cod Special Graphite
7' Black Hole Cow Special 2nd generation
7'9" Carpenter Monster Hunter 79H
8'2" Ripple Fisher prototype Tuna 82

5' Black Hole Cape Cod Special jigging rod
5' prototype two-piece 450g Black Hole Cape Cod Special spinning
5'2" prototype two-piece 350g BH Cape Cod Special conventional
5'2" prototype two-piece 250g BH Cape Cod Special conventional

Spinning reels: Shimano Stella 20000SW, 18000SW, 10000SW, Daiwa Saltiga 6500H. Penn Torque 9S and Chinese spinning reel for testing

conventional reels: PE3 for bait, PE5, PE6, PE8 and two PE10.

Lures: about 30 - 40 assorted lures

Jigs: 40 - 50 jigs for tuna, wahoo and grouper

Braaided lines: 60 lb, 80 lbs, 100 lb and 130 lb

Leader line: 60 lb, 80 lbs, 100 lb, 130 lb, 170 lb and 200 lb.

terminal tackle: split ring, solid ring, barrel swivel, split ring pliers, cutter, scissor,
Zap glue, hooks, assist lines, ect

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
JIGNPOP becomes a new dealer of Tady irons(jigs).

Surface irons are very popular on long range boats, but they are seldom used outside of California/Mexico though they have many applications.

Tady will provide some jigs for our Socorro trip and we will test the jigs for yellowfin, wahoo and grouper.

------------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ron Z sponsors the trip

Ron Z promised to send Ron Z lures for the trip for testing.
I think I was the first fisherman who caught nice yellowfin with 3 oz Ron Z lures on the 16 days Excel Trip in Dec, 2010.
I don't think any other lure caught more bluefin than Ron Z lures in Cape Cod last a few years.
Thanks Ron Z for the generous offer. I hope we can land a 200 plus lb yellowfin with a Ron Z lure on the trip.
Many West Coast fishermen are very skeptical of landing 200 plus lbs yellowfin tuna on spinning gear and we have an excellent chance to prove it as there are some monster yft there.

----------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.