BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are all set with four fishermen.

This trip is unique because we do one or two overnight trip which is very rare in Bermuda.
The boat is the Playmate which is one of the most popular boats and they are one of very few specializing in bottom fishing in Bermuda.

Here is our fishing schedule:

-Arriving in Bermuda on May 22
-1st overnight leaving 6 pm on May 22 and returning in early afternoon on May 23
-resting/sightseeing on May 24
-2nd overnight trip leaving 6 pm on May 25 and returning in early afternoon on May 26
-Leaving Bermuda on May 27

The boat is big enough for 6 fishermen, but 4 are good number for
transportation and sleeping in two bed room condo.

I'll discuss with other fishermen whether we stick to two overnight trips or one overnight trip/one day trip. April and May are peak season for wahoo in Bermuda and I'd like to have one full day for wahoo
and tuna. I regard Bermuda trip as a kind of vacation trip rather than fishing trip though we catch tons of fish.

I hope we can land 140 - 150 lb AJ and 50 - 100 lb black grouper which were elusive on previous trips.
We have a good chance to land a world record yellowtail snapper on an overnight trip as the average sizes are 8 - 10 lb.

-------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com
www.blackholeUSA.com

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is this an invite or just rubbing it in? lol :razz:
This is prelude for upcoming fishing report. :)
I found great fishing opportunities in Bermuda only recently and I hope my post will help other fishermen when they want to fish in Bermuda.
It is only two hours flight from NJ/NY.
We arrive at Bermuda at 2:30 pm after two hours fight and we go to the boat directly to go on overnight trip. If anyone needs info of charter boat, rental condo, fishing season, ect, let me know.

---------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com
www.blackholeUSA.com

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking about one overnight trip and one regular trip to concentrate on wahoo fishing on regular day trip. But after discussing with Danny, I decided to stick to two overnight trips as originally planned. Wahoo fishing just started and the end of May can be the prime time for wahoo.

I booked two bed room condo in Bermuda. The condo is very nice overlooking the ocean and has private beach walking down the cliff.

All purchased air ticket already and everything is set now.

---------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com
www.blackholeUSA.com

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There was a confusion about the lodge. I booked a lodge overlooking the ocean after checking availability of dates. but I was told the condo is booked already.
Fortunately I could book the same two-bed room condo where we stayed last year. It is $245 per night including taxes. It is really bargain considering May 24 is a holiday in Bermuda and I had a hard time to find a condo.

we also have special rates of an overnight trip on the Playmate. They just add only $600 to the regular day rate of $1,350 per overnight trip.
So the total cost of two overnight charters and lodging (4 nights) is $4,880. It is $1,220 per person based on four fishermen.
You can not beat the price when fishing in Bermuda.
How much we spend additionally depends on how we eat as eating cost at restaurants is not cheap at all.

We plan to bring lots of food to cook ourselves at the condo to save time and money.

-----------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com
www.blackholeUSA.com

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The trip is only one week away.
Sam from NY arrive at 10:30 am and Gilbert from Canada arrives at 11:30 am.
Both said they would wait at airport for our arrival at 2:30 pm on May 22.

We are going to the boat from the airport directly and the Playmate will leave the dock as soon as we come to the boat.
We are bring all food from NJ and Kalvin who lives in Bermuda will pick up drinks for us.
We have two overnight trips: May 22 - 23 and May 25 - 26.
May 24 is a holiday in Bermuda. But we might go fishing for wahoo as Ricky in Bermuda invites us
for wahoo fishing on his 45' Cabo on May 24.

Everything is set now.

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like an awesome trip. Make sure to take plenty of pictures and good luck!
I expect to take lots of pictures and video for 5 days fishing.

We have a chance to catch record yellowtail snappers as we fish for them for two nights.
Another main target is wahoo. It seems wahoo are thick now. 20 - 30 wahoo catches on troll is norm. Some nice wahoo upto 95 lb were caught with bait recently. I hope I can break my old record of 88 lb wahoo which was caught on a jig on Mid Night Lump out of Venice 10 years ago.

----------------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com
www.blackholeUSA.com

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Only two days away.
The weather is unstable on the first overnight trip on May 22 - 23. I hope it get better.

I am going to use three different Black Hole rods for yellowtail snapper.

BH Magic Eye 571XXH/JM PE2 reel
BH Magie Eye 732 popping rod/Steall 5000SW
BH Hurrincane slow pitch jigging rod light/JM PE2 reel
BH Pioneer slow pitich jigging rod light/JM PE2 reel

For wahoo/tuna

Black Hole Cape Cod Special 80g, 150g and 250g/JM PE2, PE3 and PE6

For AJ or Grouper

Black Hole Cape Cod Special 250g and 450g/PE6, PE8 and PE10

--------------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jiognpopforum.com
www.blackholeUSA.com

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We cancelled the first overnight trip on May 22 because of wind.
We left the dock at 5:30 am on May 23. It was still blowing. We didn't see a single boat except us.
We anchored and chummed heavily, but there was no bites for a hour. Capt Kevin said current is in wrong direction.
They pulled anchor started to troll to locate fish. We trolled with a few light lures. The Black Hole Monster Pencil got a wahoo.
I used the pencil popper to catch tuna and wahoo by casting, but I didn't know the lure is good for wahoo trolling.

When we anchored, we had steady bites. I had two tuna hookups and 5 wahoo hookups on my silver Super Sardine jigs.
In fact, this was the first time I could hook up tuna on jigs in Bermuda.

We landed about 8 tuna and 5 - 6 wahoo, but we lost many tuna and wahoo because we used light 40 lb line on light tackle for them. Black Hole Cape Cod Special 80g, 150g and BH Magic Eye 571XXH rods got lots of action. Those rods are perfect for small tuna or wahoo here.

Surprisingly, we had a couple of yellowtail snapper in 8 lb range.

It is windy today ( May 24) and we are going to go to the downtown for sightseeing.
We are leaving at noon tomorrow for the second overnight trip.

-------------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com
www.blackholeUSA.com

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
caught on Black Hole Monster Pencil Popper

Black Hole Cape Cod Special 80g rod/JM PE2 in action for wahoo

I hooked up 2 tuna and 5 wahoo on the silver Super Sardine jigs

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
May 25/26 overnight trip

Calvin and Mu couldn't join the trip. Three of us arrived at the dock around 1:00 am to make bait. I cast lures for a while at the dock as Capt Keving said there are big tarpon in the harbor.
We left dock at noon and headed for Challenger Bank after stopping to catch bait and try black grouper for an hour.
Tuna bites were pretty good, but we didn't see many wahoo.

I used Black Hole Magic Eye 753S/Stella 5000SW and caught 4 tuna upto 40 lb with it.
The light inshore rod is not for tuna, but I got confidence with the rod after I caught 100 lb tarpon with the rod in Costa Rica recently.

I let Sam use the Magic Eye 753S/Stella 5000SW to see the action of the rod.

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Before getting dark, Capt Kevin moved the boat to yellowtail spot nearby.
I don't think anyone had better yellowtail fishing than we had. It will be hard to repeat.

Before dark, Capt Kevin anchored for yellowtail snapper.
They started biting after dark. Bites were getting better and continued until dawn next day.
Guys who fish yellowtail snapper in Florida know 4 - 5 lb yellowtail snappers are huge.
But we rarely saw yellowtail snapper under 5 lb and most snappers were in 6 - 9 lb ranges.
Every fisherman we met in Bermuda said our trip is the best ever yellowtail snapper trip in Bermuda in terms of sizes and numbers caught.
We didn't catch world record yellowtail snappper, but a few were in 9 lb range.

We used light tackle. Gilbert used Black Hole Magic Eye light jigging rod and Sam used 76" BH Magic Eye conventional rod while I used 7'5" BH Magic Eye 753 spinning rod which I used for tuna also.

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Holy crap!!! Those yellowtails are gigantic!
The yellowtail snapper trip was one of a kind of trip and it will be very hard to duplicate Everything has to be right.
I am extremely happy that I witnessed such a fabulous fishing though we didn't catch a world record yellowtail snapper.

Wahoo fishing is hot there now. We were going to fish tuna/wahoo in the morning after yellowtail snapper fishing, but we went to the dock because all boxes were full of yellowtail.
b
10 - 30 wahoo catches on troll in single day is norm and some are big.

---------------------

www.jignpop.com
www.jignpopforum.com
www.blackholeUSA.com

1 - 20 of 21 Posts