BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2009 G3 1448 jonboat and take it crabbing down in brigantine. Now, when I crab, I always have two ten lb. mushroom anchors, one up front. duh, and one from the stern to stop from spinning. Now, this works great for where I crab. Its pretty sheltered from traffic and tide. But I would like to take my boat out to little panama or out by the ac\brigantine bridge to fish. I figure my anchor wont hold me in place with wind and tide working together. Does anyone have any idea what style and weight anchor I need? I also need anchor line. Should I get one of those anchor line spools they sell at walmart? thanks

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
do not forget to put enough chain on your anchor line without chain it might not grab

·
Registered
20,270 Posts
Hate to say it but a 14' jonboat with virtually no freeboard is a little small to be out there where bozos with big boats throw big wakes without looking around to see if they are getting anyone in trouble....

I'm not sayin you can't do it, but you might be stretchin it... especially if you are anchored up.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I agree with Tuna.....
That inlet is hairy enough, but it's the ignorant boaters that'll cause you more problems.
I used to fish the inlets and back bays in a 17' Privateer, and have been thrown into sod banks, and knocked out of that boat due to the ignorance of larger boat owners who had the money to buy the vessel, but not the brains or courtesy to operate it with respect or regards to those in smaller vessels....

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
That 1448 is plenty of boat especially inside the bridge. You probably won't be anchoring in Littla Panaman unless you are on the bank for tog. You will probably power drift the bridge. A little motor won't bother the fish in 40'of water especially with the big boys running thru.

I mostly like to drift live baits along ALL the area sod banks, but there are lots of chunkin'spots around Little Panama and Mankiller and right on up and down the waterway.

A 5 pound danforth should do you good, and I have a fold up anchor in the store that works great for that type of baot and it desnt take up much room when you aren't using it.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
To add what the others said and do not anchor the front and back of the boat ever a few waves and you will swamp a little boat like that.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To add what the others said and do not anchor the front and back of the boat ever a few waves and you will swamp a little boat like that.
nah, i only throw the one in the back when im in the no wake areas crabbin. I pick my days out there.

Dave, you read my mind. I plan on power drifting the bridge and rockin the sods. Some mornings though, it seems like fluke will hang right at the mouth of panama. Plan on hitting that stretch a lot this summer. Maybe Ill take a ride to AC this monday, and stop by on the way.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
nah, i only throw the one in the back when im in the no wake areas crabbin. I pick my days out there.

Dave, you read my mind. I plan on power drifting the bridge and rockin the sods. Some mornings though, it seems like fluke will hang right at the mouth of panama. Plan on hitting that stretch a lot this summer. Maybe Ill take a ride to AC this monday, and stop by on the way.
Last year, at the Brigantine bridge, an angler caught a doormat fluke that Guatemala Dave weighed at his Absecon Bay Sportsman Center. It was 15 #.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have been boating there for years. At one point I ran a 12' Carolina skiff there. You always have to be careful near the inlet. Heck up until this year I ran a 23' CC and it got nasty a few times. It's a high traffic inlet. I can honestly say though being careful you will be ok. Just find out when that poker run is. Whenever all those speed boats come down the ICW to Trump Marina make sure you are crabbing. That traffic is just ridiculous. I bet it is fun running those boats down with your hot chicks and buddies flying all around. But, man I swear they are half crocked and not paying attention.

·
Registered
315 Posts
yeah i see potential for danger in that south end of panama, but the water is like 50' deep, and narrow. i wouldnt anchor there, ecxept maybe directly on the sod.

to the north, where its wider, i think your fine in the shallows. i never thought about 2 anchors, but i guess i would use my danforths, cause that's what i have.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have a 16' that I fish in Absecon all the time, you should be OK most of the time as long as you are an experianced boater. It gets so bad that I cannot stand up in the inlet area so I leave-plenty of other good spots for a small boat to fish in that area. And as already said fish early before the idiots wake up, I usually am on my way home by 10am.

·
Registered
71 Posts
;)Hey bud have fished tht area and never fished in a smaller boat like tht but there is plenty of good fishing with out anchoring...Early am or pm tides around the lights at night;) flats near channels and alot of good sod banks too fish from without getting in too trouble...You can pull your boat right up on some of them sods or get the tide and use it too position yourself were you want too b and you will see that there is fish all around there and when you get a chance Stop by n see Ray or Capt. Dave at absecon sportsman shop and they will clue you in pretty good with pretty acurate reports also...And someone told me you can get tiderunners in certain areas..lol..:D..I will e-mail you a lil more info..Good luck and B safe...Terry the pazman;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.