BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out of manasquan inlet today about a half mile off of bay head fluking. Drift was very slow so we tried slow trolling. After about ten minutes, i saw a nice mark on the fishfinder on the bottom. Didn't think much of it, then one of the rods went over. I grabbed the rod and something started peeling off line. After a few seconds the line snapped off. About 5 seconds later a 5 foot thresher came shooting out of the water about 50 feet behind the boat. The fish jumped straight up into the air and its whole body was out of the water. It jumped a second time the same way. It was an amazing sight which made up for the awful fluke fishing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'd never heard of such a thing...until the same thing happened to us Sunday about 3 miles off WW. We were mostly catching small sand sharks and skate. I had my rod in the holder getting a skate off for a friend. When I went back to it the line was slack and rig was gone. No sooner did I tell the others when we saw a thresher (1 guy thought it was a mako) break clear out of the water 10 yards behind the boat. I saw it 2 times, others 3-4 times. Amazing.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
I was fishing about 5 miles off Barnegate light for fluke and was bucktailing squid/jumbo killie. I caught a 8.5 lb fluke. After rebaiting, as soon as it hit bottom it hit like a fluke and when I set the hook it then peeled about 200 yds of line and wasn't slowing down. I was going to get spooled so I started the boat to chase it down, but I was fishing by myself and the rod touch the gunnel and snap there goes the line. To this day I wonder what got away. I am thinking it was a shark or a bass, maybe a weakie?

·
Registered
914 Posts
A similar thing happened to me on Sat. I was fishing great egg harbor bay behind OC for flounder. I got a hit which felt like a fluke but when I set the hook whatever is was didnt like that too much. My 20# braided line just started peeling. It ran around the back of my boat to the other side and abruptly changed directions. I saw a fat brown body but then the leader was broken. Im thinking some kind of shark? About 45 minutes later the same type of thing happened. I went to set the hook and my line just started peeling. I think this may have been a skate but it was fighting alot more than one. The hook was thrown before I even got a peek of it. What could these have been?

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
JD:
Cow nosed ray. Doesn't sound at all like a weakie.

IGW:
Brown shark.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
I had the same experience last summer about 4 miles out. The 50 lb pp held as the shark jumped 30 or 40 times until the two flounder hooks straightened out while I was trying to tie a tail noose with a piece of rope.
Barrell

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
i think we had the same thing happen yesterday at the reef.......was live lining a ling for monster flounder and had a run off and then gone.....a few minutes later we saw and heard a loud splash...we thought it was a mako but it prob was a tresher about 4 feet or so....prob the highlight of the day cause fishing was slow

·
Banned
1,307 Posts
Yeah, them thresher's be fun on fluke gear until they jump away from ya and all the bowing down to them isn't gonna help !! Had a 9footer pick up my spin and glow in 50 feet off LBI last year around this time,hit like a fluke ,then peeled line and out comes Mr. Thresher 10 feet out of the water !! Dogged him for 10 minutes then he made another jump straight away from me and the game was over !! That's why I love fishing the deep, "It's like a box of chocolate's, you never know what your gonna get" (Forrest, Forrest Gump) !! ;) :D :D :D
:cool:

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
Had the same experience years ago at McCree Shoal. Set the hook and the fish jumped three times coming right at the boat. The last jump was about 6 feet off the stearn of the boat and it had the fluke rig hanging out of its mouth. On light spin rod we tightened the drag to break it off before we were spooled.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts