BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 summer flounder season. We know they are there and ready to go. Are we?

A little time and care now could pay off big next week. Fishing with old line then don't cry if you loose a nice fish. Rod and reel standing in the corner of the garage then don't cry if you loose a nice fish. The list could go on from motor to anchor and everything in between.

Spring flounder in the back are usually the largest fish of the year. Big weakies and blues will also be on the scene. This is the worst time to throw old tackle at them.

Check everything. Run a ball of cotton around the guides to make sure there aren't any cracks that will tear your line to pieces. Even if you don't know what you are doing there is a way to get some fresh oil into a reel. Just don't start taking all the screws out. Check the bail on a spinning reel. Sometimes you can get a ding that will also tear the line up or prevent the line from sliding all the way over into the rooler. Check your hooks. Even new hooks can be dull.

Everything you may use should be closely inspected. If it doesn't look right at home it will look down right ugly on the water.

This is the time for big fish. Make sure when it happens that your gear is ready for it. ;)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Well said Fred! I am ready to go! Its bucktail time! I used the shorter baits and cut the hair close to the bottom of the hook and improved my hook up ratio last spring. Thanks for that tip. I was scouting last weekend in some of the good creeks in NWW for fluke. Water temp at NWW causeway bridge was 52 when I got all the way up in the creek we had 59. Didnt get any nibbles. The drift was tough with wind against tide. We were bumping it in and out trying to get the drift right.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Thanks for that Post Fred,,,Very Good Points
and Suggestions...Best of Luck To You This Season.

If I had to pick one of the better Months in
NewJersey to Fish I think May Would Be Right Up
There as #1...I Love The Fall,But for a variety
of different and like Fred said BIG FISH,May
is the Real Deal...

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Fred, I can't wait. We fished bucktails behind NWW last week and didn't do anything, but I'm sure that'll change any day.

The key for us has always been to find the warm water. Last week we read 49 degrees at first light on the incoming, but by late afternoon, on the last of the ebb, we had 61 degrees in spots. A week later and they'd 'a been jumping in the boat.

See you at NO BONES.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Fred...

I've carried your wisdom to my tackle box on numerous occasions and this is no exception...!!!
:D

Thanks for the reminder and best wishes to all in the coming season...!!!

See you in NWW...

Muddy

·
Registered
127 Posts
im all ready to go new hooks 300 yards of fluro carbon leader for them flatties new bucktails same penn rod same old penn reel but new st croix and fairly new prion and wait to test that st croix on flounder, largemouths have been keeping me busy since february but its flounder time now!

·
Registered
16,324 Posts
I'm ready
My buddies slipped next to me gave me the keys to their 20 ft. Mako they just got and put in the slip right behind my boat :cool: Helluva nice bunch of guys! I'm pumped, been a while since I've plodded the backwaters for my favorite fish, the Fluke!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Also remember fluke want an easy meal in cool water and fresh herring is a great bait.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts