BASS BARN banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to go perch fishing today...

so I loaded up a yak (not mine but a friend's) and headed down to the launch. I didn't bother to bring bait because I had some small twister tails and some darts, figured that would be enough. When I got to the launch, I saw oodles and oodles of minnows swimming in inches of water. I was licking my chops at the thought of some tasty perch chomping on these micro minnows. I ran to a nearby B&T and grabbed a drop net and a single frozen bunker. Captured some minnies while I setup the yak.

Within minutes I had around 40 small to medium minnows. I put the yak in the water and hopped on. The creek where I launched was very shallow and I was glad that I didn't bottom out. Everything was going smoothly and here is where the fun began. Rounding a bend, I saw what looked like a sheet lying on the water ahead of me...ice. The ice was thick enough to keep me from getting through to the lagoons I was headed for so I turned around. Didn't think for a second that the last few day's cold would freeze over the creek but guess again :huh: Bummer, as now I would have to paddle back, load the truck, and launch about a 1/2 mile away with a half hour paddle to the area I intended to fish.

I get back to the launch and take the flow-troll with all my bait in it and set it on the bank. I load the yak in the truck and take off to launch site #2. The next launch sees me off without a hitch...until I round a bend in the bay and the wind is whipping right in my face accompanied by an outgoing tide. Good thing I wore a rain coat. It takes me twice as long to get back to the lagoons as I expected and I'm actually tired from the 1/2 mile paddle (it was that bad) but no big deal because soon I am where I need to be. Grabbing my pole, I reach down for the minnow bucket and grab a....wait...where's the minnow bucket?

Oh that's right. The minnow bucket with all the minnows in it is sitting on the bank at the last launch spot. :thumbsdown: At this point I contemplated throwing in the towel and that is exactly what I did. Best to quit while I was ahead plus angry fishing usually is never good fishing. To throw a little salt on the wound, the wind completely died on the ride in, almost as if Neptune himself was screwing with me on the wet, cold, wind-and-tide in my face paddle out. Good grief.

Back at it tomorrow...this time I remember the minnows.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Even a skunk beats going to work. I tried again yesterday with no luck. Marked some fish in 10-12' of water but they wanted nothing to do with my minnows. Going to try elsewhere soon in some deeper water.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.