BASS BARN banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
main line to barrel swivel to leader (at least 36") to dropper loop then at the end tie a coast lock/uni knot to plug. you can also tie a different shorter piece of leader to your swivel and attach your teaser to that thus eliminating the dropper loop. you want a lot of space between your teaser and plug. i know more will chime in here about what teaser when and why so that's my take. i personally tie my own clousers, sandeels, and deceiver style. a clouser fished at night ahead of a small bomber kept me in bass pretty much all summer last year. 99% of fish were on the teaser.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
I use a shorter leader tied to the swivel for the teaser. All kinds of things can be used as teasers - in the fall redgill are nice teaser when sand eels are around. I've also use different gulp baits as teasers and done well. Used a gulp sand eel to land a few specks.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I use a blood knot to tie two lengths of 30lb Flourocarbo together and leave the leader that is attached to my main line extra long and tie the teaser to that. It keeps it sticking straight out from the leader preventing it from tangling/spinning around the leader. The overall length of this leader is about 30".

Here's the result. Sorry the knot isn't shown in this pic.

·
Registered
330 Posts
PAWayne said:
Obviously by the picture above a teaser will catch with a popper. Question...were you actually popping the plug or fishing it like a swimmer? I would think fishing a teaser when actually popping the lure would be hard with the teaser flying all over the place.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Teaser Rig

You could also try taking a long piece of mono and fold it about a third of the way down and then tie it to a swivel there using a polamer knot. Doing it this way gives you a long line for the plug to be attached and a shorter tag end that you could hook on a teaser, all using one line and one knot. If the teaser ever gets in your way you can just cut it off and still fish the plug end without worrying about the knot breaking.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Why mono? Do you feel you get better action from your plug/teaser with a lighter mono? I traditionally use fluoro for it's better non-abrasive properties, never thought about using mono for my leader but I suppose the action is better/more fluid? Anyone else have preference of mono over fluoro, just curious?

I do like the idea of ONE line with a Palomar at the swivel and the tag end used for the teaser. I have been doing the dropper loop method but seems like I have been getting alot of tangles and limited action with the teaser.

Any preference on which size test you use? I always use 40# fluoro for almost all of my leader/rig tying and just trying to expand and learn other methods/techniques this year. Thanks.

·
Banned
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. What if you use Braided? I have read that it is better not to use a leader. In that case how would you tie the Teaser on?

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I've used fluoro leader with braid + a teaser and have had plenty of success. I wouldn't use braid for your leader material though.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Even Steven said:
Why mono? Do you feel you get better action from your plug/teaser with a lighter mono? I traditionally use fluoro for it's better non-abrasive properties, never thought about using mono for my leader but I suppose the action is better/more fluid? Anyone else have preference of mono over fluoro, just curious?

I do like the idea of ONE line with a Palomar at the swivel and the tag end used for the teaser. I have been doing the dropper loop method but seems like I have been getting alot of tangles and limited action with the teaser.

Any preference on which size test you use? I always use 40# fluoro for almost all of my leader/rig tying and just trying to expand and learn other methods/techniques this year. Thanks.
I use 30# floro most of the time but I will switch to 60# Penn leader material when the yellow eyes are thick. Some say there'a an advantage and some say there's not. I need all the help I can get:rolleyes:.

Do not use braid as a leader. If you need to leader the fish (on a jetty for instance) the braid will slice you to the bone.
Click on this thread: to see the best ways to set up a teaser rig.
http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90890&highlight=teaser

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
I use heavier floro for the plug leader, but the teaser gets better action on a lighter leader. I will use #60 for the plug leader and #30 for the teaser off the beach and near rocks. Fishing bays at night, I'll use #30 floro for the plug and #15 mono for small teasers (not as stiff).

·
Banned
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fishypete said:
I use 30# floro most of the time but I will switch to 60# Penn leader material when the yellow eyes are thick. Some say there'a an advantage and some say there's not. I need all the help I can get:rolleyes:.

Do not use braid as a leader. If you need to leader the fish (on a jetty for instance) the braid will slice you to the bone.
Click on this thread: to see the best ways to set up a teaser rig.
http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90890&highlight=teaser

·
Registered
391 Posts
This is what works for me-
I fish 30# sufix braid mainline with a 90# spro power swivel. Then I have a 3-1/2 to 4 foot 30# fluro leader tied. On the leader about a foot down from the swivel I have a dropper loop tied into my leader. I have teasers pre-tied with a 1 foot pc. of fluro with dropper loops on each end. I slip the teaser on & off the dropper loop on my teaser as I want- no extra hardware.

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Kermic....I gotta ask you if you are a Mike ?

Jersey Mike

·
Registered
46 Posts
Even Steven said:

I do think you do get more action from mono and in the spring I'll use around 30# test, 40-50# later on. In the fall, in hopes of landing "stripezilla", I'll switch to fluoro of about 40-50# test. The line is thicker and helps in landing the fish, also better for use around rocks and bridges. If blues are aound, you can up it to a 60# line. Only problem is trying to get those knots just right- thick line is hard to tie...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts