BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,509 Posts
Good question. I've got a 150 gallon tank, and typically buy about 100 gallons or so. If they help me into the dock, I typically will tip $3 to $5. They seem to appreciate that. I look forward to see what others do.

·
Banned
12,837 Posts
My only response to this is, do you tip the person that fills your tank for the car you drive. If not are they doing anything more or less than the fill at the boat. They hand me the nozzle, I pull the trigger on the nozzle, I hand the nozzle back to them. They stand there and wait for me to fill the boat myself.

Now if I was dealing with a significant wind or current issues with a problem docking into a slip, I get it they helped alot. I'd offer them some style of tip.

Personally this is like tipping the jar at a coffee shop. This is what their paid to do in the job description at the time of hire. If they needed a greater income they should have negotiated better.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
If the girl is cute, then yes.:D
If they(man or female) take a long time, or if i have to find the pumper, then definitely not.
I have a 30 gallon tank and hardly ever get my gas from marinas.

Tip is usually 5 bucks, enough for couple beers

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Go to C-Jam in the summertime....

You WILL be tippin the pump house girls :D

·
Registered
289 Posts
Always fill up after an offshore trip and tip 5 bucks.Whats another 5 bucks for good luck!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
My only response to this is, do you tip the person that fills your tank for the car you drive. If not are they doing anything more or less than the fill at the boat. They hand me the nozzle, I pull the trigger on the nozzle, I hand the nozzle back to them. They stand there and wait for me to fill the boat myself.

Now if I was dealing with a significant wind or current issues with a problem docking into a slip, I get it they helped alot. I'd offer them some style of tip.

Personally this is like tipping the jar at a coffee shop. This is what their paid to do in the job description at the time of hire. If they needed a greater income they should have negotiated better.
I personally feel much better when I help someone out who is less fortunate or working for a low wage. Maybe it is their choice to work that specific job, but anyone in the service industry is eligible for a tip the way I see it. That doesn't mean you are obligated, but throw them a couple of dollars and guarantee you'll feel good about it when you leave :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
13,509 Posts
I personally feel much better when I help someone out who is less fortunate or working for a low wage. Maybe it is their choice to work that specific job, but anyone in the service industry is eligible for a tip the way I see it. That doesn't mean you are obligated, but throw them a couple of dollars and guarantee you'll feel good about it when you leave :thumbsup:
Well said, Striper13! :thumbsup:

·
Banned
12,837 Posts
I don't tip the person that fills my car each week, I don't tip the person at the register that rings up my groceries, I don't tip the person that is hired for a fixed income that is not based on a tip also being included. A waitress or waiter thats income is based on minimal base wage per hour plus tips, that's the person I tip. You work for a hourly wage like that pumping fuel into a vehicle, that's the amount of wages you get. You need to better negotiate your wages or look for a better paying job.

Me giving someone a buck does nothing for my feelings, and it makes the other person receiving it no better either. They now expect you to give them money just for being there and doing a job description they were hired to do once they agreed to work at that place for that income they accepted as fine for their time involved.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I agree with you. I even tip when they fill my car if they are nice. $2 goes a long way.

I used to pump gas on a dock when I was younger. Trust me for the guys that tipped when they were coming in hard and needed me to protect their boat from hitting the barnacles on the pilings I made sure I pushed off as hard as I can. For the cheap ones out there I wouldnt put myself at risk of getting hurt. The gas dock guys will remember you next time if you take care of them.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I do

Good question. I've got a 150 gallon tank, and typically buy about 100 gallons or so. If they help me into the dock, I typically will tip $3 to $5. They seem to appreciate that. I look forward to see what others do.
I usally give them $5 They help tie up and release the boat since i do this alone alot they look after me.Whats a few bucks when you are putting in 80 gallons or more ? its at my home marina I dont want them to think Ima cheapskate Lol

·
Registered
988 Posts
I tip the fuel dock guy $5 . He usually ties the boat off, will pump the fuel if I let him ( I prefer to pump it myself ) unties the boat and pushes me off the dock. IMO Worth $5 or more
I usually fuel up once I get down to a quarter tank or before I run offshore.
I am usually putting 200-225 gallons in the boat. Fuel bill is going to be $750 or more. Whats another $5

·
Registered
865 Posts
I tip 5 bucks each time.... And they know that lol so they hose off my boat while im pumping most times lol

·
Registered
495 Posts
I tip $10 each visit, and to me it is an "investment". But I'm typically buying a minimum of 150 gallons or more each visit after an offshore run. My attendant makes sure I'm taken care of. Most of the time I'm alone on a fuel run, and the fuel dock might be tough to get into depending on wind and tide. My "investment" insures that my yellow gel coat remains on the hullsides, and not the fuel dock. Every time I approach, the attendant comes running, often from working up in the boat yard. He knows how anal I am about my boat, so I usually get preferential positioning on the fuel dock, as he'll have others either wait until I'm completely done, or swing to the other side, which is much more difficult to manuever into. Nothing worse than being helplessly tied to the fuel dock, then having some amateur in a POS boat with no boating skills try to fuel up with you. My "investment" makes sure that doesn't happen, and it's money well spent for the 12-14 times I fuel up during the season.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't tip the person that fills my car each week, I don't tip the person at the register that rings up my groceries, I don't tip the person that is hired for a fixed income that is not based on a tip also being included. A waitress or waiter thats income is based on minimal base wage per hour plus tips, that's the person I tip. You work for a hourly wage like that pumping fuel into a vehicle, that's the amount of wages you get. You need to better negotiate your wages or look for a better paying job.

Me giving someone a buck does nothing for my feelings, and it makes the other person receiving it no better either. They now expect you to give them money just for being there and doing a job description they were hired to do once they agreed to work at that place for that income they accepted as fine for their time involved.
Easy there, Salty! You need to get laid!

·
Registered
177 Posts
C-JAM Fuel Girls

Go to C-Jam in the summertime....

You WILL be tippin the pump house girls :D

:thumbsup: Great advice Ed!

C-JAM is ALWAYS the cheapest around, pump out is free with fuel, ice, bait and the girls are on Friday thru Sunday 6am till 6pm during summer.

Very polite, kind and HELPFUL service... the girls always give you a hand docking.. you'd be surprised how much it helps especially if there's wind and a ripping current.

tipping.. is just a way to say thank you.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
They usually hand me the hose and I fill the two small tanks myself.
Often there are young people working, and I always give them a couple bucks. Great to see them building a work ethic.:)

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for the input

I always give them a few bucks it does make me feel good as far as that's the job they choose to do maybe that's all they can get thanks

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
We always tip!!

They do a lot more than hand a nozzell. Help dock, direct traffic, help tie up, watch for potential accidents, not to mention lugging 6-10 flats, chum, and whatever else we may need or fish to be weighed. Hoffmans always has coffee for us or will make a fresh pot if needed. $1000 fuel $400 bait per trip the dock mates get $10 to $20 and they are always very helpful. Not tipping 10-20% just enough for them to get lunch. TIP = To insure prompt service and they rememeber who takes care of them.

I tip the attendant who fills my trucks and car as well. Most of them are working for minumum wage and a few dollars makes a huge difference to them.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts