BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry guys but I have to put this post in here and hope that it is read by a large portion of barners. I did have the pleasure of having my boat dunked last Friday which put me in a really good mood. That mood was short lived as I was approached by several people who have been fishing for the last few weeks and have told me about the large numbers of Drum taken. I did chastise a few of them as most of the Drum taken have been in the 15-25 lb range. Keeping puppy Drum by fisherman who claim to have fishing knowledge to me is wrong. Drum do not spawn at that size and all these fisherman are doing is ruining a fishery that has really come back in the last 15 years. For those who do not know the real facts about Drum fish, and what you actually get in table fare, let me clue you in. In the year of 2000 I boated a 97 lb. Drum, which when cleaned actually yielded 16 lbs of edible fillet. A Drum is like a large Croaker in that it has an exceptionally high rib cage and head, so that the actual yield of edible fish is about 12-15% of the total weight. So if you fillet an 18 lb Drum you will yield about 2.3-2.7 lbs of flesh. To kill a fish for that is really criminal. So please have the fun of catching the puppy Drums and let them live to spawn for your children, grandchildren, and so on. We have to be conservationists to insure the future of the fishery.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Edward,

Glad somebody had the cohonies to say it like it is. The same people killin' the juvenile fish will be P***ed off when the government steps in to regulate the fishery.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Originally posted by captstaab:
some people say to release the big ones to let them spawn.
damned if you do damned if you dont. Same with bass. People will be pissed if you keep the big ones while others get pissed if you keep the slot fish. I will personally keep my once in a lifetime bass or drum and keep the smaller fish for table fair for that night. Let all the others go. I dont like seeing people keep to many of a fish just because the regulations allow it.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
There's absolutely nothing wrong with keeping a small fish for table fare. Many of my clients prefer the smaller fish for the table. A 15lb. to 25lb. black drum has spawned a couple of times. They're sexually mature by the end of their second year, at a size of 11" to 14" - hence the 16" minimum size. It's also more 'conservation minded' to release the larger fish, as a mature female is capable of releasing nearly 30 million viable eggs.

I wouldn't keep 3 per person, but keeping a small fish or so per man to eat for dinner is certainly acceptable.

[ 05-03-2006, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: TheAdamBomb ]

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
I also think that if a client or rec. wants to keep a LEGAL fish for consumption so what. I would rather keep a thirty pounder than large one. A lot of guys criticize people who keep large stripers. Which way do you want it? Large or small cant have both!

·
Registered
31,134 Posts
Black Drum need better data and regs. I don't see a problem with keeping a smaller ones as long as you don't keep more then you can eat or more then the population can handle.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
as long as it's legal there's nothing wrong with keeping what you can eat. i don't freeze any fish. i only keep what i can consume that night/next day. pass some to friends who can't fish.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by TheAdamBomb:
There's absolutely nothing wrong with keeping a small fish for table fare. Many of my clients prefer the smaller fish for the table. A 15lb. to 25lb. black drum has spawned a couple of times. They're sexually mature by the end of their second year, at a size of 11" to 14" - hence the 16" minimum size. It's also more 'conservation minded' to release the larger fish, as a mature female is capable of releasing nearly 30 million viable eggs.

I wouldn't keep 3 per person, but keeping a small fish or so per man to eat for dinner is certainly acceptable.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I would rather have 1 30-40lb drum for the table table then a 70-80lb one. I do not like frozen fish and cannot eat 20lbs of drum meat before it goes bad. Also, I would like to add that I don't think any one individual needs to keep more the 2 small drum or 1 large one.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Originally posted by Edward Warren:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Bob ECT:
Black Drum need better data and regs. I don't see a problem with keeping a smaller ones as long as you don't keep more then you can eat or more then the population can handle.
Bob I do agree on keeping a few for eating, but not 25-30 pups. </font>[/QUOTE]Anyone that is keeping this many is clearly in violation unless it is a headboat. If it is a headboat the customer had a right to keep three and I do not think a captain would tell them they are not allowed. It may be advised not to but a paying customer is almost always right

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Originally posted by cc19:
as long as it's legal there's nothing wrong with keeping what you can eat. i don't freeze any fish. i only keep what i can consume that night/next day. pass some to friends who can't fish.
If its legal its legal - doesn't mean its good for the fishery or the "right" thing to do.

I would hate to see the black drum fishery die out because guys are keeping too many fish, or the best breeding ones.

The regs may be too soft - my gut tells me they are, but like Bob said we need data.

Deep sixin' Drum seems to happen more than with any fish.

Before you keep one watch someone clean one first - thats all it took for me - alot work for a little bit of meat screw it I dont think its worth killing an 80 lb fish for 12 lbs of meat or whatever.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
If its legal and you are going to eat it and put the effort into filleting it, then there is nothing wrong with it at all. Direct your energy towards the big guys who set the regs.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Im a land based guy and i've caught them before but never kept them. i kept one last week around 15lbs. i had a 1/2 mile walk so i'd rather keep the smaller ones. it was a 29" fish and the fillets i got were similar to that of a large slot bass(im good with a knife). i agree that you would think you would get more but oh well. It did taste great but im one of those guys that believes all fish are great when fresh. cleaning that fish was a chore. would i keep another....it depends on whether family wants a weekend meal or how far i am from my truck. i tend to not freeze fish too much....only fluke/seabass/tog/ and stripers. I agree that 3 large are excessive but than again i think 3 large yellowfin/ 8 weakfish/8 fluke/10 bluefish are all excessive. BUT im not a boat guy i have to walk my fish out. sorry if i got off subject.
Nick

·
Registered
28,819 Posts
when we go we might keep one fish per man or one really large one for the whole boat most of the time 2-4 guys... and yes bring the saw with you lol...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts