BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have paddled out maybe a couple of hundred yards from the beach, but was by myself so didn't want to go too far out. What is the farthest you have paddled out?
One time I noticed that, when fishing from the beach, I would catch fish only when I would sling my deadly dick as hard as I could past the breakers. I decided to take the yak out and troll just past the breakers with phenominal success. I landed about 10 shorts, with double headers on my dd and a teaser in no time. I dumped my sit-in riding the wave back in and decided I wouldn't try to land in waves less than a coupe of feet high.
A couple of times I wanted to paddle out about 1/2 mile to the working birds, but had no one to paddle with. It can get pretty scary out there by yourself...
Your thoughts and experiences.?.?.?

·
Registered
544 Posts
I really dont see a need to paddle past however far you can cast beyond the breakers, so you can work the plugs on the opposite side on which you usually do. With a full cast beyond, I see no need to go further unless you see birds crashing or baitfish jumping. The farther you go out also, the more dangerous it is and better chance of you getting hit by a boat.

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
I have gone as far out as a mile in good conditions. I see know reasonm why you cannot go as far as you want, provided safety factors and experience.

My yak is a sit-in with skegs and is no good for coming in through breakers. Weather and schedule has prevented me from trying some of the spots off the beach I want to try. I figure if I launch from OC or Longport right inside from the inlet I can get safely out and in.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking the same thing egghead. I have been paddling a tarpon 120 for 2 years, since I swamped my sik. I was thinking of paddling out and landing on the inlet side instead of the surf side to save myself the wet boat and possible wet/lost gear. Just want to hear some feedback.
I guess I just get scared especially when out by myself past 1/2 mile.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Ive been well into the EEZ (not fishing) - one day I paddled for 2 hours out, then back when I was a lifeguard.

I picked my day, went with an old friend - very light West. I am an excellent swimmer, but unconcious that wont help - wear your PFD, use your brain, dont go alone, you'll be fine!

Guys catch Thresers out west in Yaks - my boy JonO's brither has been on MSNBC before with 8 ft threser tied off to his yak.

NOW he is nuts!!!! :D

You need to figure out where the deep holes are and launch and come bak thru there - lsignificantly less wave action then a sandbar.

·
Registered
259 Posts
please take this advice from a well meanig old man
who has spent 40 yrs on the ocean.
get a sea worthy boat to fish the ocean even a 1/2 mile out THIS TIME OF THE YEAR.
believe me bad sh^% happens fast.

be safe, dnik ;) ;)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
with some of the west w*nds that we've been having lately, you can launch easily from the beach, but then the w*nd is trying to push you away from shore all day. if there are waves, launching right at the inlet jetty in longport is easy. you can then cruise right out of the inlet and along the beach front.

i agree with dnik, i wouldn't go out too far at this time of year. i think that unless you see birds working over a lot of action, i'd stay just outside of the breakers, since that is where you are going to be having your sandbar cuts and troughs.

·
Registered
12,888 Posts
Saw a yakker out once in Nov off condos in Sea Isle-between 1 & 2 miles. I thought he was nuts. Had his gal with him as well

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
I've gone about 50 to 100 yards past the jetties at the north end of OC, trolling with a swimming plug between the jetties, late summer/early fall, calm days, you know, blues, shorts and sometimes a slot.

Solo, Frenzy with rod holder in the back. I have not ventured out farther, but would definately be tempted, in the right conditions, to reach any bird play I could find.

Once the water gets cold, new story, better have at least a wet suit, eh?

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
All I can say is to be well outfitted and prepaired before your adventure offshore...
That means having the proper clothing (wet/dry suit)emergency gear (Life Vest,Whissel,Compass & Light)
A float plan (someone knows where you will be and when you will be back) Be very aware of the weather and tides ahead of time before you head out...

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by The Reckoning:
what about an epirb?
Yep, Excellent Advise There...

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
It can get bad fast. If tide and wind are against you it can be very tough to make headway. Back in August I was cleaning the cockpit while running back in through GE after a canyon trip. Just inside the bell we passed a two person kayak. It was rough in there that day. We were all concerned for their safety but before we could turn around the coasties came blasting through our wake on the way to rescue them.

Be careful out there, especially this time of year. You won't last long if you you have to float in 50 degree water. Have the proper attire and pick your days. Have the VHF as well (cell phones are useless when wet).

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have yet to take my yak out front. I dont have wheels yet for my yak so lugging my 15ft prowler would be a chore and a half. I have an old wetsuit that is going to service me well. I would like to hit the absecon inlet. Good launch points on the brigantine side. On the AC side there are jetties with calm and deep water between them. GE Bay looks like an ideal spot too.If anyone is interested in a group yak outing I would be down. It would be beneficial to learn from more experienced fisheryakkers. Give me a shout if interested. [email protected]

·
Registered
772 Posts
I only went far off once (off stone harbor) I was lashed to the boat by a long line. That way if I went over I would have a leash to the yak. I didn't have a epirb, but thought I should once I was out there. Obviously bring and WEAR a lifejacket. (again, I didn't wear it but once out there I was thinking about how much of a dope I was). Just treat it like you are going offshore in a small boat and bring the stuff you would normally.

Life jacket
sunscreen
water
waterproof emergency radio
epirb

that should do it for you, but you'd be very well served giving someone your plan.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I dont have a 'yak..but I think it would be fun...at least from what I have seen posted. I dont think I would even attempt like a 1/2 mile offshore with a 'yak.

If I were to get a kayak, what would be the ideal place to try?

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Ken,
You should be able to try a yak before you buy. Any calm, creek, or river will do.

Yaks designed for fishing tend to be very stable.

[ 11-10-2005, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: egghead ]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.