BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to kayak fishing and I wanted to know what i can catch from fishing rite off the beach. Like jus taking my kayak off the beach i will be doing this in wildwood.
Thanks all help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
112 Posts
Many tricks -- and even some significant hazards (especially west wind factors) -- to kayak fishing the NJ ocean.
Great fun to paddle "troll" a Storm Wildeye -- with rod either resting on shoulder and sured between legs or from a specially made trolling rod holder. Bass love that slow moving plastic.
As you know, we had a young kayak angler take a 55-pound bass last year.
Fluking is great from a kayak, even when winds are calm -- All the bigger craft are stalled but a yak moves nicely in the current or can be paddled to bump a squided bucktail off the bottom.
By the by, those slimy bottom feeding fish common to kayak fishermen (near the beach) are red hake and delicious. They go for small squid or clam pieces.
No, I don't know what to do if that clam bit gets picked up by one of the 100-pound-class black drum out there right about now. I'd like to find out, though.
If you want some more kayak angling insights, drop me an email at [email protected]. I also put kayak-catch reports on my website at www.webspawner.com/users/jmann2002.

·
Registered
14,033 Posts
Rule in the kayak is to have everything connected/lashed down, assume you will dump over and at the worst possible time and plan for that, but practice and fish in such a way to minimize the possibility.

Also for early or late, dress for the water temp, not the air temp.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rule in the kayak is to have everything connected/lashed down, assume you will dump over and at the worst possible time and plan for that, but practice and fish in such a way to minimize the possibility.

Also for early or late, dress for the water temp, not the air temp.
Would you reccon I'd need a pretty warm fishing pants for sept-oct? Always did midsummer fishing, but wanted to try something new this year. Didn't really need any special clothes for summer since water is mostly decent temp, but trying it out in fall kinda makes me worried.

·
Registered
14,033 Posts
Sept Oct is still pretty warm depending on whether you fish North of Montauk or South of it (e.g. New York bight on south)... Once the water temps dip in the mid-60s you should be careful. Wetsuits are in order, then November or later brings on the need for drysuits. If you are fishing backbays, rivers or very near to shore then you have some more flexibility about what you wear but think through what the worst could happen, assume it could and how you would do being in the water for some time if the worst happens. Use the buddy system when it gets colder, if not then definitely practice creating a float plan and leaving that with someone you trust when you go out.

Back to the temp: down in South Jersey, September/October is not much different than late spring or early summer. So you can still be a bit more laid back with respect to dressing for temps. In this case, it'd be as much about comfort as safety. But again, for later, once those water temps dip down then be more careful and dress appropriately.

If you have questions you should reach out to more experienced kayak anglers. Been a while since I did this in earnest

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Would you reccon I'd need a pretty warm fishing pants for sept-oct? Always did midsummer fishing, but wanted to try something new this year. Didn't really need any special clothes for summer since water is mostly decent temp, but trying it out in fall kinda makes me worried.
You always dress to wind up in the water. Can you swim and will you get hypothermia being the main concerns. I wear my surfing wetsuits to fish the kayak as things cool off into December.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts