BASS BARN banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kayak fishing report thread 2012

35K views 215 replies 45 participants last post by  akozols 
#1 · (Edited)
The season is upon us. We haven't had a dedicated report thread in a few years. Post them here, with as much info as you'd like. Tides, conditions, baits, techniques, time of day, depth......but please no posting of specific spots.

And please keep it to reports.

#3 ·
Im heading out with a group opening day lower mullica river, about 5 of us we do every spring. Ill post every trip for all you kayakers. I signed on about 3 yrs ago n have learned alot plus researched, read n talked to a few. C alot more people these days not bragging but most my spare time kayak n fish. Wanna learn more n our group allways welcomes people. Im the only girl so dont think its chicks.. Its all about kayak fishing.......

#9 ·
Ill b on a baby blu ocean yak. I think ive seen u out there maybe. Im a tall blonde used to have red explorer. If yur the one im thinking about u were allways catching.. I snagged one right after that n capt howard put me in the press. It was nice of him mentioned catching it off the yak.. Made me proud booyah.. Will look for u we will b out sat. Hope winds wont b too bad good luck.

This post has been deleted
#7 · (Edited)
Stuck a NICE Fish on the Troll out front yesterday afternoon.....came unbuttoned during the Battle.....NO JOY!!!

Felt like one for the Box....I'd guess 30-32 Inch'ish

Next time!!!:thumbsup:

You and I will hve to disagree on the no joy part, bro.
I got the report, the west winds had died down but so did the surf. It was like a lake up there. We never do well when it's like that, at least from the surf.....My girlfriend and I were a few miles north of you enjoying a day without fishin :nuts: We saw scattered birds on the water over some deep bait, but no activity along a 10 mile stretch....it was just one of those days, is all....:huh:

But you DID stick a fish. :thumbsup: And were only 1 of 2 who did....to me that's significant.... South Jersey came up North, and represented! :cool: :thumbsup:
You'll gettum next time, thanks for the report...:wave:

Yak2fishChick, welcome!

#10 ·
Scouting and bassing

Went out today to scout out a new area. I Was with SPINFISHERBOB AND GWFSJ We all started to get into the bass about 10am and stayed to about noon. All the bass were in the 18 in to low 20's . I caught 2 double headers 1 on the bottom and the other on the teaser for a total of 5 for the day. I think Bob and Jim caught around the same. Hope this is a sign for the season ahead.

P.S. I have some video from my new toy Ill post it when I get the chance

#60 ·
Fished the Mullica today with a variety of artificials with no fish to show for it. Was nice when the sun finally came out but the wind kicked up and made fishing a PITA.

Moosegate, the winds have been a problem for me as well this season. There are places I really want to get to because I know they hold trophy fish, right now....but the wind each and every time has prevented me from the launch....

My thing is, if Plan A doesn't work out for the night, I try to have plan B,C, and D lined up.....looking for a place that has a lee from the wind is a big part of my plans. I remember being in the mouth of Jamaica Bay last year when the winds came up on us quick and swell was 3-4'.....:eek:...completely ruined what until then had been some good action,

IMO you can catch fish in windy conditions, but if you think about it, and are willing to drive a bit there is usually at least one better alternative that will allow you to present better to the fish......just some thoughts, you'll gettum next time...:thumbsup:

#13 ·
Weakie

Hit a river on the yaks with my buddy Greg. Fished a couple of hours and had a big hit trolling a yellow bomber but never came tight. Right as I was ready to head in had a hit and landed a nice weakfish. Tried to let her go but wasn't working. Weighed her in and tipped the scales at 2.91lbs. Hit a orange/yellow Yo-Zuri Crystal Minnow.

#18 ·
Hey it's been awhile since I lasted posted. I didn't know that there was a kayak thread on here. I just got into it myself 2yrs ago, but still learning. Been fishing since i was a kid but mostly off of bridges and banks mostly stay in small creeks for now,but plan on getting further out. Being female myself I felt a little intimidated but reading everything you all have to say has given me guts to get out there.

#19 ·
I fished a small bridge Saturday night started out in the fog and a strong 15mph east wind kicking up a 1.5ft chop. After working the bridge for a couple of hours without a bite the fog lifts to a clear dark sky.
Now the bridge lights could do their job. After about 20min it started, I got a little rat to start. Then they just got bigger and I had all the fish to myself:D:D. A lot of 25" fish.
I managed to grab a 29" and lost 1 that broke a trebble hook to get free:mad:. All the fished seemed to be in the roughest water off the pilings.
With the wind going against the tide all night I felt like a cork in a wash tub and my legs were beat from fighting the current. When I got home even the bed was still rockin.

#67 · (Edited)
Thanks waterbug, you haven't been doing too bad yourself.
If it was after the spawn, I might have kept it....'

Got a smaller one, maybe mid teens, this morning that will be dinner tonight....

I give ya a lot of respect for being out in that 15mph E wind in your last report....

I fished a small bridge Saturday night started out in the fog and a strong 15mph east wind kicking up a 1.5ft chop. .
I managed to grab a 29" and lost 1 that broke a trebble hook to get free:mad:. .
With the wind going against the tide all night I felt like a cork in a wash tub and my legs were beat from fighting the current. When I got home even the bed was still rockin.

I'm surprised no one else commented on the part I highlighted yet. Maybe a lot of guys really don't fish at night, that they would know the difficulty of this. I remember being out fishing that night. I had the yak with me.Up North where I wanted to fish there wasn't a lee from the wind, and I bagged the yak launch to fish the back bay from land.

Gotta give it to you waterbug, you earned each and every one of those fish,
WTG! :thumbsup: :cool:

#22 ·
decisions

planning on fishing friday during the day. Almost always fish the bridges for bass on artificials but thinking about trying a river for perch. Waterbug any idea what the water temp is in the back? I was encouraged to see your post. I've never started fishing this early in the season.

#25 ·
planning on fishing friday during the day. Almost always fish the bridges for bass on artificials but thinking about trying a river for perch. Waterbug any idea what the water temp is in the back? I was encouraged to see your post. I've never started fishing this early in the season.
i was reading 50* during the outgoing tide

#62 · (Edited)
Fished locally for 3 hours today. Nada. This makes my 10th trip so far this month (not all in the yak) with no fish caught :huh::thumbsdown: I swear Pepe is lurking near me whenever I fish...

Moosegate, any fish on the yak yet? You're a good fisherman. I hope you don't mind my words here, but if you were out 10 times in your neighborhood without fish, maybe there's something you can look at to change up?....

You have a lot of hard structure by you. Friends have caught yak fish in places at night that wouldn't be too far for you to hit ..the problem that appears to be the most challenging about your area is that a piece of structure will be hot for 2 nights, and then dead for a week. There is a lot of inconsistency....

I've made 3 yak trips so far....a lot of work and not totally killing them, but did get some very nice fish.,.....

If you don't mind my words here, maybe you want to think about some of these points....
1. There usually is a certain feeding time for different pieces of structure.
2. Is it the ebb, flood, or mid tide, or slack, for your favorite piece, I can't answer that.
3. But I will tell ya if you miss that window, you may think there are no fish there.
4. Depending on the water you fish, north or south jersey, the structure in South Jersey (generally) starts to hold bait and predators a little earlier, another thing to think about.
5. Boat traffic can kill a bite real quick. If you can, try to find some time during weeknights to get out.....you may find a significant difference.
6. Be ready to take your yak out and make a move if you know the water you are fishing, and it just ain't happening there....I know it's a PITA to do that more than once with a yak, but sometimes it can make a big difference.

good luck, I want to see you stick some fish and post up a report....I know it's gonna happen for ya soon...:wave:

#26 ·
Clamboni Where are your post??? You started this thread;););) I can't believe it's 3 weeks into the season and you haven't caught anything yet??? It's so not like you:razz::razz:

#32 ·
Opening day winter flounder

The flatties were stacked up today in a north jersey river. Found a couple of holes with nonstop action. Holes were about 9-12 feet deep. Blood worms were the ticket. I had my meesely two fish limit ( just enough for a sandwich) in the first 45 minutes and the rest of the day just fished for fun. Forgot my thermometer so I'm not sure what the temperature was. Largest fish I caught was just under 15 inches but already had my two keepers so that one got a stay of execution for me to catch another day. :thumbsup:

#37 ·
3/25/12

Went out tonite hook three one broke the line one spit the hook the third came aboard took a pic and went home . He was a 25 inch short spitting up minnows.
Just a side note there were bass all over the place eating shrimp never seen so many shrimp (could it be the warm winter) But it seemed the bass were happy with the shrimp rather then my lures.

#39 ·
Went out tonite hook three one broke the line one spit the hook the third came aboard took a pic and went home . He was a 25 inch short spitting up minnows.
Just a side note there were bass all over the place eating shrimp never seen so many shrimp (could it be the warm winter) But it seemed the bass were happy with the shrimp rather then my lures.
Nice job Jim. I let the weather forcast keep me in. It's just too far to drive to sit in the car and wait for the rain to pass.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.