BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Let's Here About Those Yak Attacks !!!
This is your place to post fishing reports,talk about Kayaks and to plan your adventures....
Have Fun Guys,,,,
-----------------------------------------------

·
Registered
76 Posts
Out last night 6-10 behind NWW. Incoming tide water 69-66 and very clean. Picked up 26" bass, 18" Fluke, and a bunch of blues up to 18". Smaller bass assassins and 1/2 oz bucktail with white gulp minnow were the lures of choice. I was drifting next to a boat Salty Dog? that was doing real well with blues and bass up to 26" on a surface popper. I was going to get out the popper but the combination of darkness and multiple treble hooks scares me!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I actually put a hook through my wrist that way with Trebles. Hooked a small bass and it moved real sudden and the empty hooks went through the barb and out the other side. The amazing and terrible part was that the fish was still connected to the other set of trebles. Here I am with no wire cutters a hook through the wrist with a fish still connected to the lure and my wrist. Ended up having a guy pull the hook with pliers out the way it came in. Nearly passed out from the multiple times it took to pull it out. Little bactine and back to fishing that night.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
I always remove all but the back hook when using a plug in the yak.If the hooks are small i might up the size on the back one. You will still catch em, and simple plug grab, to land em.

[ 06-02-2006, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: barrell ]

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for the advice Barrell, I will give that a try.

Out last night for about an hour the wind was impossible, managed one short bass. Went out this morning 6-10, no wind, but the bugs were ridiculous. (I know stop complaining) 2 short fluke and handful of tiny blues. Seemed like perfect conditions less the bugs, just couldn't seem to find the fish. It is a real toss up for which is worse the bugs or 20+ winds!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Went out on Wed. 5:30am-1pm. Was out behind Ocean City. Managed a 22inch weakie, and two fluke. One fluke was a short. The other looked to be a keeper, but flipped out of the yak before I could get a handle on it. Im really getting comfortable with this yak fishing, and looking forward to my first night trip.
Weakie was caught on a pink zoom on a 3/8oz jig head.
The fluke were caught on 1oz white/chartruse bucktail, with gulp shrimp.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Tried my hobie turbo flippers again today during a demo but this time I backed off all the way on the adjusters to make them sloppy. Huge difference from the last time no leg or knee strain just pure performance.
Barrell

·
Registered
413 Posts
Having tried them both sloppy and tight, I prefer tight.

100,000 miles of bicycling gave me big thighs.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Out tonight 6-9 behind NWW not much going on the wind just kept getting stronger. Cut the trip short and had a tough paddle home into the wind and tide most of the way. Good thing I have a miriage drive! 1 short bass, 2 short fluke and a half dozen 3#blues.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
FINALLY got around to getting the yak out. This is scary, I had the choice of taking my 14' boat or the yak, and I chose the yak. I just love that fact that I can load it up in 15 minutes, and when I get home, all it needs is a quick washdown. Ramp lines........"I don't need no stinkin ramp".

Anyway, back to the report. Took Friday off from work 6/9. Launched from the OC causeway, from there I did alot of paddling to check out the area. I checked out the islands, the channels, the sod banks. Saw alot of structure that you don't notice from a boat.

I started off catching a fluke that was exactly 16 1/2". I let it go,, since I thought it might be borderline, and the day just started. Should have kept it. I caught 5 more but they were all dinks. Caught two stripers; one about 24" the other about 20".

Next trip, I think I'm going at night. I got to know the area, and won't have to worry about boat traffic. My shoulders and arms are sore today, I was out from 6-3. ouch

Al

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Fished Barnegat Bay today (June-12) 9am - 1:30pm.

Launched from the "Bay Beach" near the mainland-side Muni Dock. Paddled out to 42 Buoy and got a monster hit on a yellow/greenish mega bait. Got a few cranks on it and then it vanished. I'm fairly certain it was a world record striper or weakfish, but, not having seen it, I'll postpone alerting officials.

Anyway - got to 42 Buoy and dropped some spearing/Squid strips. No bite. Got a good hit on a pink gulp, but it just stole the tail - no hook-up.

Oh well, a better day than at the office.

Time - 9am to 1:30pm
Water - Warm (High 60s), Murky, Lots of drifting weed.
Weather - 70's with wind from South West to North East. Very Cloudy (Threatening Rain) No rain, but wind kicked up to a steady 10mph.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Fished Corson's inlet Sunday (6/11/06) 4 short flounder and lots of wind. At least I beat Librarian. By the way he was peddeling I think he should try sloppy.....Ha.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Out tonight behind NWW 6-11pm. Nice night for fishing slow night for catching. 2 short bass and a croaker all on the incoming.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'll be out tomorrow 6/18 behind OC. Early morning around 5:30-6:00am. I'll be in a blue ocean kayak. Anyone wants to meet up send me an email.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Did the Fathers day thing with the Son on a slow drift in some lazy creeks on the Western part of the Barnegat Bay in search of some SHADE and NO TRAFFIC.
It's usually not a good thing when a Jet Ski comes rip roaring right up to your yak to ask "did you catch anything?" :mad:

Had some good signs of life but only the Son was able to catch and release one
10" White Perch
:D

·
Registered
413 Posts
Got out with Kenwood and Ben on Saturday night 6/17. Lots of blues and a couple of fluke. Kenwood got a striper while casting for blues.

After dark we caught more blues in the shadow line of the bridge.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Is that DF mounted on the front hatch of the Hobie?

Is that Barrel's LED light on the rear rodholder?

[ 06-20-2006, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Eric G ]

1 - 20 of 46 Posts