BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Banned
7,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Let's Here About Those Yak Attacks !!!
This is your place to post fishing reports,talk about Kayaks and to plan your adventures....
Have Fun Guys,,,,
-----------------------------------------------

· Registered
939 Posts
I got out with Fly Fish and Jettyjock this evening for some kayak fishing. I managed to catch one short on a popper just before dark. i have been in SIC on vacation but have had very little luck due to weather and late, late high tides. That shortie on a popper made my whole week! Thanks Fly Fish! We will be getting out more often this summer and fall.

· Registered
1,086 Posts
Originally posted by barrell:
keys kid, What key. I own a waterfront lot on Lower Matecumbe. Whenever Im down there I cant seem to find anyone who kayak fishes.
Barrell
I hop back and forth between Key Largo and the Islamorada/Tavernier area. All my trips have been solo too, everyone wants to hit the throttle down here to fish...thats ok though...I like hideing the fact that ive got a big tarpon hooked up as the flats skiffs and Center Consoles go cruisin by :D "Nothin' to see here" ;) Are you in the area now Barrel?

· Registered
4,909 Posts
My apology to the kayaker I came up on in Whale Creek this morning in the fog,I came around the bend at slow speed but did not see you there fishing until you turned a light on
I apologize and hope I didn't screw your fishing up too much
A dim light on kayak would have avoided the problem as I'm always on the look out for you guys when I leave in early morning hours

· Registered
1,086 Posts
Willy, good point there! I cant believe all the guys I see out there with nothing but a head light on :eek: ...Guys, if youve spent ANY amount of time on a boat, you know a head light is NOT ENOUGH. We'd all hate to see a major accident happen here that can be easily avoided.

You can get a GREAT stern light(360 degree white light) for about 30 bucks!!! It runs on 3 AA batteries, takes all of 20 mins. to install.
If you set this up you will be seen and you wont have to reach for your head lamp "in time".
I'd advise against the red and greens up front though...you could be mistaken for a vessel "under power" which would have the ability to get out of the way easily. Gotta get a stern light though fellas.

· Registered
3,004 Posts
Took the yak out on Sunday for my first ever saltwater trip. I chose the 9th st causeway into OC. Kept the fishing simple to get used to the water. I used a jighead/white worm tipped with some Procut. Got a few hits but no catches. Very windy, wind was blowing from the north so I stuck to the south side of the causeway. At one point I hit the deep end of one of the channels and the waves were huge. Yak handled it well, just rolled over the tops.

Had two close calls. One was a boat that flew right by me hitting me with it's wake. The other was a smaller boat that was tiller driven. The bow was riding high and I don't think the driver ever saw me. He was heading right into me until one of the passengers in the front pointed to me.

All in all, it was a great day. I was getting a ton of car horns and cheering from the cars going into OC. Soon I'll be confident enough to take it out at night.

Al

· Registered
637 Posts
guys, here is a really good light for the kayak. it's the c-light pfd light, and it runs between $10 and $15. it runs on two AA batteries, that will last for about 8 hours. it has a narrow ring of light that is focused horizontally when the light is mounted vertically, and it gives off a 360 degree visibility. it complies with USCG requirements, and is visible for two miles. i suggest that you guys get this one, or something like this, and USE it.

i mount mine in a three foot lenght or so of PVC, so that the light is above my head when viewed from the front. i cut a "X" slit in the top of the pvc (1/2" i believe), which lets the light slide in pretty snuggly. the lanyard is around the pvc, so that if it falls out, it will slide down the pipe.

in addition to that, i have a very bright dive light that i use when scuba diving. it's obviously waterproof, and gives off a very bright beam of light. it sits in my footwell, ready for use at any time.

be safe.

· Registered
8,884 Posts
We have the lights in stock on a 24 inch mast with an easy to install scottys mount which will also hold a scottys rod holder. Ron did you ever get your three I shpped you?
Keys kid...No I have a yakfihin shop up here in jersey and Im very busy right now. I will be in Islamorada for two weeks in January and would love to hook into a tarpon. I fly down there though and would have to rent a yak.
barrell
cell609-513-1680

· Registered
1,086 Posts
Doyle, cool idea there! Safety first, too many people just assume that other boaters are paying attention and "he'll see me"...dangerous.

Barrell, Good stuff there! Will be in touch. There has been so much boat traffic down here that I havent fished this whole weekend, just not worth it. Tues, im heading offshore, plan is to bring the yak and launch it out of the "mothership" when where into the "fishy' stuff. I'll let ya know how we make out.

· Registered
1,189 Posts
Got out on the 4th for a few hours of fluking behind Avalon. Drifted the outgoing tide till dead low from 30th street bridge to the yacht club. 5 shorts up to 16 inches (four of them on little plastics) and two large skates that towed me past the fleet. Fun day with a slow drift that was quite relaxing in spite of heavy boat and jet ski traffic.

· Banned
2,284 Posts
Got my first trips in near SP without a tug. The bass just don't seem to be in the haunts I found them last year. I think I need to move around a little.

· Registered
1,086 Posts
Damn, somebody threw on the WIND switch down here!! Been blowing hard since Tues...couldnt make it offshore to what I planned and the inshore fishin' has took a crap too. :(
Leaving tommorow to head back north, time for some fluke and bass :D

· Registered
939 Posts
I wanted to hit a spot friday night to kayak fish. High tide is about 10:00 pm and would be great but with my dad having been in the hospital all week and this Tropical Storm Cindy coming I don't think I will be getting down. Good luck to those that get out but be careful and safe. It won't bother me because my dad is doing great now!

· Registered
1,189 Posts
Was out around high tide today in the channel between Avalon Point and the Yacht Club. 4 shorts and 2 keepers in the 18" range (both released). Wind was whipping with the outgoing tide so had to call it an early day.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.