BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Let's Here About Those Yak Attacks !!!
This is your place to post fishing reports,talk about Kayaks and to plan your adventures....
Have Fun Guys,,,,
-----------------------------------------------

Well we finally got a chance to launch our Ocean Ambush Kayak for the first time the other night and we couldn't of picked a better time to do it.
Just perfect conditions when we pulled up to the CISP Boat Ramp just after Midnight Memorial Day Morning...Myself,Ronny and Greg really havn't had the time to make our first Yak Attack with everything else going on the last month or so.
So little time and So Many Fish :D ,anyway me and Ron(BassCharger) had just a amazing night on the water.After running into Casting Disaster and hearing about a earlier bite around the area
we decided to head towards Corson's Inlet.As I mentioned the conditions could not of been more perfect for kayaking,No Wind,Half Moon rising over the Ocean,catching the very end of In-coming
water and the change over.We had a plan to use these tides to our favor to work a large section
of backbay water,in-coming to take us there and the out-going to bring us back drifting in front of the Hot Spots...Worked like a charm,it made for a easy paddle to and with our trolling motor
we were able to fastforward in stealth mode to any breaking fish that we heard...

After a few casts,right away I was hooked up with something Big,, Sleigh Ride Time.. :D
As my G.Loomis doubled over ,drag screaming and kayak turning thoughts of a Big Bass were on my mind.But it was a strange fight
no head shaking,fish staying deep and pulling with power,after about a 5 minute battle I was able to bring the fish on top - Huge Shark !!!
Between 3-4'er at least,the problem fighting it was the fact that I had him snagged in the left fin on its side which gave him all the advantage.
Disappointed we didn't break in the Yak with a Striper,none the less the thrill was still there
during that battle..We worked our way thru schools of breaking Herring and fished around them for awhile..We took the midnight cruise thru the ICW which was such a great experience in itself, a lit up sky,flood tide and no wind you were able to see and hear everything back there.Shooting Stars even streaked thru the sky..
It seem to take forever for the tide to swing and start moving but once it did the action started.A mixed bag of everyting we found.From busting Bluefish and Bass to even Fluke hitting
Surface Swimming Lures.Ron pulled in a nice Fluke
about 18-19" on his Blk/Pur Bomber.
I wound up catching our first Bass,a shorty with a ALS Tag in it...

Here we are sitting in the middle of the ICW,It was like a lake out there that night..
This picture was taken by our friend Dan who joined us later and also did battle with some nice size Blues also up to 8lbs..

Dan.

Great Night On The Water,Can't Wait To Do It Again...

[ 05-31-2005, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
I saw the Jeep & trailer in the parking lot. I left the beach and got to CISP around 3 and left at 5 - jeep was still there. From the sound of your report, I may need to get one of the yaks.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Send that tag in ,it might be one of mine ,I've tagged 146 so far this year in the general area

thanks in advance for sending the tag in

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by BUCKTAIL WILLIE:
Send that tag in ,it might be one of mine ,I've tagged 146 so far this year in the general area

Tell you the truth Willie, I did not record the
number for one thing I could not read it.And second I don't believe its one of your tags based
on once again the the condition of the tagged area.
Open Bleeding Wounds at both puncture spots.

Would you recommend cutting the tag off and sending it in ? If So, I was under the impression
that you should record the number and release the tagged fish back for future record keeping,tracking etc....

Thanks,,

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Originally posted by BUCKTAIL WILLIE:

I got my tagging package from Pat last week. Looking forward to it!!!

Any tips Willie??

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Best thing to do is CUT tag off and send it in with date.size and general location. ALS has a method of cleaning tags that will expose the number
I've caught 2 this past month with ALS tags that were originally tagged in New York last year

·
Registered
931 Posts
Nightstrikes, You had the kind of night that makes kayaking great. It's quiet so you can hear everything, you spend time looking at the sky and you can catch a $#!^load of fish!!! I am going to try to get one of those nights later this week.

·
Registered
49 Posts
fished beaslys last night till 1 am. Took a begginner out to try the hobie foot drive. He was amazed at how easy everything was to do. I think the lack of wind and tide had something to do with it. Anyway bass to 22 inches and about a dozen storms lost to razor mouths.
Barrell

·
Registered
614 Posts
I had two great days on the the water Mon. & Tues.! Barrell, thanks for the net, I put it to good use yesterday with a fat 24" Flattie, that put up a great fight in shallow, clear water! Watched him WACK the bucktail, he looked even bigger under water..I had schoolie striper action in broad daylight, got 4 in a row at slack. Flounder turned on this week, a pretty steady bite, even on Sunday in the inlet with the total Zoo on. Saw some nice Tog get taken also. The conditions yesterday were the best in recent memory, I had the whole inlet to my self Tuesday morning til about 7:30. Found some great structure close to home, I want to check out at night. I had one set back though. I was casting a heavy clouser 1st cast of the day yesterday,and the wind got my forward cast alittle, the fly hit my new 10 wt.Rod and shattered a section! I couldn't and still can't believe it!!!
When is the Barn Kayak Fishing get together? I say we start a monthly thing! WE could do Brig. for the first one!! What do you think Barrell??

·
Registered
40 Posts
N-strikes congratulations on your great night on the water. The fluke on a bomber!! Nice!! The conditions you described are truly part of what makes yak fishing so great.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Did the yak thing last night with Bucktailman and we launched out of CISP and hit some back waters. Water clarity was greatand bait fish are on the rise. We yakked it up and I got a 20" bass on the suspending mirror lure and nothing else. Hank took a skunk. We did hear fish busting around us but no more hook ups. Nice long paddle but little to show for it. To a walk after that with the same result and I hit the Chattin and lost a blue. Wind did not lay down as they said it would. Made for some trying conditions at some spots. Was great to get out. Fished the last of the outgoing and the beginning of theincoming. In bed by 2:30. Good luck everyone. Keith the bagman

·
Registered
614 Posts
thought I had this myfishpix.com thing figured out, guess not! What am I doing wrong? I put the full url in the image code space...

[ 06-02-2005, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
614 Posts
Thanks NIGHTSTRIKES, but could you tell me what I'm doin wrong? Sorry to highjack this thread with pic Q's, but it's driving me nuts.. I like to post pics with reports! Man that cheap camera shot looks so much better now! Did you do something to it? Barrel& Sic, I hear ya, post up...

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
JohnG,
Not sure exactly what was wrong with it,
I just went into your FishPix gallery and re-copied and pasted the [IMG & Prop.Addr, ???
But you have it right, just copy and paste that whole line...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thought you fellow yakers might be interested in this new plug I found. Made by yozuri under their live bait series. It is made of semi soft material which I think the fish may hold onto longer. Great action in the water too. Tried it for a short time last night in the back before sunset and pick up a short and a blue. The %#@& did not cooperate so I hope to give it another try soon.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.