BASS BARN banner

Kayak Fishing Reports -October 2005

4K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  doyle007 
#1 ·
Ok Let's Here About Those Yak Attacks !!!
This is your place to post fishing reports,talk about Kayaks and to plan your adventures....
Have Fun Guys,,,,
-----------------------------------------------

This has got to be about the hottest thread going these days on the barn. Excellent kayak
fishing information... Thanks Guys....

We will be getting out in our Ocean Ambush's
this month.I like to see the water temps drop some more so we can start drifting the ICW with
eels...

See less See more
#3 ·
Got out briefly the other night. Had to cut the trip short but it is just as well.

Incoming tidee and the bait was scattered. Did not hear any bass but there was small blues everywhere.

I'm betting the farm that Monday night is going to be very good.

#4 ·
Managed to get out for a little while on Monday night at CISP.

Weed was not too bad on the last of the outgoing. Found a fish popping but could not get 'em.

Wind picked up, tide turned, and the weed got bad. Called it a night.

I wish the water would drop to 65 degrees. It that too much too ask?

#6 ·
Was thinking about it,but decided to maybe wait another week to launch the Ambushes for some late night out-going action....Conditions should be much more favorable and hopefully some more consistent action awaits...

#7 ·
Steve you got that right, Sunday or Monday night on for the rest of the fall is going to be good. Look out for us surfers tomorrow. It's going to be honkin' I can't wait, Holgate here I come. Look out for some nut on a kneeboard killing it tomorrow afternoon. Incoming tide with off-shore winds. What state am I in Hawaii? Come on baby. Keith the bagman

#8 ·
Keith, Yep You Will Be In Your Glory Over The Weekend,Have Fun & Stay Safe.. We have some fish to catch over the up-coming weeks.. I was talking to my partner last night and I think we will be hitting the North end of town next weekend...

See You Around I Hope....

#9 ·
barrel, i hope you read this. do you service tica reels? i have a libra sa3000 that i've used only a couple of times, and the anti-reverse is not working. the reel will wind forwards and backwards no matter what i do. i've tried rinsing it, flipping the little switch, etc., but it's still broken. i know that i can send the reel to Washington state for repair, but that will probably be a two or three week ordeal. thanks.

#10 ·
Originally posted by doyle007:
barrel, i hope you read this. do you service tica reels? i have a libra sa3000 that i've used only a couple of times, and the anti-reverse is not working. the reel will wind forwards and backwards no matter what i do. i've tried rinsing it, flipping the little switch, etc., but it's still broken. i know that i can send the reel to Washington state for repair, but that will probably be a two or three week ordeal. thanks.
They'll probaly send you a new one...if you need an extra reel or two till you get that one back just let me know...come to the "cave" and pick ;)
I'll call ya tonight, Im gonna try to head out if I can shake this stinking head cold...

#12 ·
Got out last night at CISP. Water clarity ranged from bad to OK. Weed was bad when slinging bio-plugs but was not bad at all using plugs.

Wish I had the time to hang around for last 2/3rds of outgoing. Bait was mostly up in the sod from 7pm-12:30am.

Occasional, scattered pops. Some sounded pretty good.

Landed one schoolie.

Can't wait for the weekend when I do not have to worry about what time I get up the next day. I think night time will be the right time Fri. and Sat.

#16 ·
Fishhead,
I'm still in the process of rigging myself. I want to keep it relatively light and simple.
I can list a whole bunch of goodies but can start with what I consider the basics.
PFD, of course.
I wear my waders and a aquaskinz drytop.
I have mounted one scotty rod holder and will eventually add a second.
I keep eels in an inexpensive mesh bag.
There are waterproof lights that you can mount for safety. I have a headlamp and pelican lamps. 99% of the time there are no boats around but if there is, I get over to the side and turn on my lights. They see me.
Paddle leash and rod leash are a good idea.
Safety whistle.
Small hand gaff.
A couple of waterproof containers. I have small ones a little bigger than cigarette packs for cell phone, etc, and one the size of a lunch can for food.

No special fishing accessories. I carry or 2 plug bags and use my usual array of plugs and plastics.

#17 ·
Got out Sunday night at CISP.
Managed a lil' guy right before sundown (too small to rank as a schoolie) on a popper.

Worked the usual haunts pretty good. Weed was not bad to atrocious. This was mostly due to low water and eels. Plugs stayed pretty clean.

Water temp is down but not dramatic. I guess about 63-65. Fish are definitely more active.

I wish there had been more water to sling eels properly. Bass were pinning small bait on the flats and all I had was plugs and eels. The fish were tailing in shallow water. Can't believe I forgot to bring any plastics.

The Violent World of Hermit Crabs
I pulled up on a sand/mud bank to work a point. I left my mesh bag with the eels hanging off the yak to keep 'em in the water. I came back and found a few green crabs on the bag (which I thought weird since the eels were alive) and many hermit crabs.

I put my light on the water and realized there were hundreds of hermit crabs hanging around. Looking closer, I realized I must of stepped on a razor clam and the hermits were feasting on it.

But was stranger was that there were alot of hermits not near the clam but were none the less fighting like all hell with each other. I mean they were really going at it. You think of these harmless little crabs and realize down on their level, this is a violent place. Really cool.

Anywho, wrapped it up at 1am with no more fish. Will try again tomorrow night. All I need is another two feet of water to do it right and I should have it with the tided beig later.

Oh yeh. If you are fishing between 51st and CISP, watch out for the line of crab pots running back there. You don't want to lose a plug on them.

Pots

Still sort of a summer pattern.

#20 ·
Hey Guys,
I'll be out tomorrow night. After that, it will be the weekend of the 6th.

It will be great to hook-up with some other barners. Shoot me an email.

Seeker, do you have a yak?

#22 ·
egghead,
How did you make out Wednesday night? I am planning on hitting it Thursday night for the outgoing. Has the water cleared up at all after all this bad weather? Plan on using my usual assortment of black and purple plugs. Thanks for any info of your yak trip you can provide.

#25 ·
MadPlugger,

I posted this awhile ago on an other board:

I live at the NJ shore and was a windsurfer for more than 20 years. My season was Feb. to mid Dec. Here are some tips that may help you keep warm kayaking:

If the water temperature added to the air temperature doesn?t equal 100, you?re going to be cold. Better to stay home. Even in Feb. you may get up to 6 days where these two temperatures will exceed 100.

In the coldest weather, don?t dilly dally on the beach. Get your kayak on the water where paddling will help keep you warm. When you return, load up and get in your warm vehicle ASAP.

During the months of Feb., Mar., the last half of Nov, and the first half of Dec., I wore a full dry suit with 5mm windsurfing boots. The dry suit allows you to stay completely dry, even when fully immersed in water. From Apr. 1 to Jun. 1, I started with a full 3 mm wetsuit and ended with a 3 mm shorty (no sleeves or legs). About mid Sept., I started wearing the shorty again.

In the coldest weather, you need to wear a hat. A fleece lined neoprene cap or hood is best for keeping warm.

Gloves were always a problem for windsurfers. The best made neoprene gloves always gathered where your palms gripped the boom (this causes cramps in your forearm muscles). I used cheap yellow dish washing gloves bought at the supermarket. I found that if you protect your hands from the wind, they stayed warm. I bought them overly large. Even when I was dumped in the water and the gloves were wet inside, my hands stayed reasonably warm. Kayakers may prefer to use Northwest River Supplies?s pogies. They block wind and spray to prevent wind chill and evaporative cooling. A hook and loop strap lets you store pogies on the paddle shaft when not in use.

Buy a carbon fiber or wooden paddle. Metal paddles conduct cold to your hands. All my booms were carbon fiber.

The other posters have some excellent proven solutions for keeping warm. However, my recommendation for the best protection for really cold weather paddling or when immersed in the water after a capsize, would be a premium Gore-Tex dry suit, roomy cut that accommodates under layers of warm clothing and allows full mobility. 5mm neoprene paddling booties and a neoprene fleece lined cap. The Kokatat dry suit has a good reputation with paddlers and windsurfers and meets my requirements but, an outfit like this will probably cost as much as your kayak.

#26 ·
Great Advise Here Guys On Everything Being Asked.

I plan to go full neoprene this season.. I just picked up the Aquaskinz Hurrincane Top and I wear my 3mm or 5mm neoprene stocking foot waders with a tight wader belt... Aquaskinz also makes some nice gloves and head gear,you might want to check them out as well....

[ 10-28-2005, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.