BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Let's Here About Those Yak Attacks !!!
This is your place to post fishing reports,talk about Kayaks and to plan your adventures....
Have Fun Guys,,,,
-----------------------------------------------

September is here guys,anyone still interested
in getting together for a little YakFest-Backbay
Adventure? Lets start throwing out some possible dates and locations to do this.. Thx...

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I vote for the weekend of Sept 9 only because I have to work every other weekend. The only places I'm familiar with is the OC area. How about late afternoon untill evening?

Al

·
Registered
64 Posts
A few important things to remember if we have this get together. Weekends are still very crowded during light hours in all of our back waters. It might be a bit hazardous with a large fleet of kayaks during the day time in september. Fishing right now is slow but from my experience much better at night compared to the day time bite. And finally we will have to consider tide. I personally light the high tide going out. But if we do this during a low tide period we will lose alot of good fishing area due to low water conditions. I would love to have this happen and am sure we can make it work somehow.

CISP has plenty of parking and numerous tidal creeks, sounds and flats in realitively short paddling distances. But again I think a dayligh assault on this area in Early September would be an accident waiting to happen.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My vote would be for like a late Saturday Evening
with a out-going tide during the night at CISP...
Put in around sunset and fish for about 6 hours or so...

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
I say Delores cooper. Put in there and work the skull bay are. You MAY see a couple boats during the day. I guarantee you won't see any at night. It's my fav place in the fall. Although I usually don't hit it hard in the yak till mid OCT. lot of bass back there

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
eelball, i can see it now. a saturday evening in late september, just before sunset. a bunch of men descend on the delores cooper parking lot for a night of man on man relationships, and then a dozen or more guys with kayaks and fishing rods show up at the same place. bring a camera, because it will be interesting.

i do agree though. skull and steelman's bay, along with the other channels and creeks are usually not too crowded, and should have okay action on a dropping tide.

·
Registered
12,888 Posts
How much paddling? Is this open for novices? List of what to bring for the novice. I have an Ocean kayak scrambler sit on top with the backrest with rodhoders. Also have scupper stuffers.

With fuel prices might have to get my fix this way(and exercise)

[ 09-01-2005, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: Spooled ]

·
Registered
370 Posts
Im in for the Kayak trip. I just purchased one two weeks ago, and this would be a good experience. Just let me know the time and place.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
i got out this morning before dawn, and was able to sit in an eddy that kept me moving around in circles, but also allowed me to fish some nice looking water over and over. unfortunately the bugs had other ideas, and i bailed after about 45 minutes. no fish, but i did lose the paddle tail part of my storm wild-eye.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Last night behind OC plenty of fish all small but lots of species. Small stripers up to 20 inches, Tons of weakfish all just over or just under 13 inches, bluefish, and realy suprising the fluke mostly about 14 inches were thick on the bottom under the bridge lights. Everything was hitting rubber the weaks realy wanted the scented shrimp.
barrell

·
Registered
64 Posts
It is getting closer to that time of year when you need to consider what you wear during your yaking outtings. For those of you that believe using Chest Waders with a dry or semi dry top is dangerous I hope this will help dismiss those concerns. The setup I use are breathable Chest Waders along with a semi dry top. Here is a picture of the Chest Waders I use.

I then use a semi dry top over top of the chest waders. Notice the neopreme seals around the waist, wrists and neck.

I jumped into the pool to show that you do not sink but as you can see you actually float. I stayed in the water for approximately 5 minutes and then got out. There was some leakage most likely around the neck. But not that much water at all.

Hope this helps some of you with cold water concerns. I would suggest you try out your cold water clothing now while you can do so safely.
It wont be long before the water temperature is an issue so do it now while you can.

[ 09-03-2005, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: jettiejock ]

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Excellent Post JettieJock, Thanks.......

Yep,colder conditions are right around the corner.
Staying Dry and Safe is very important to have fun fishing into the Fall..

This weekend will most likley be my last trips in shorts and water shoes....

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
O.k., I've been running this get togeter thru my head. Depending on the amount of people, a good staging area will be important. I also don't think that everyone has to fish the same area. We could break into groups. Then return to the staging area. Drag island, delores cooper bridge, corsons. One of these could be a good staging area. I could bring my gas grill for some grillin before and after. Start around 4ish in the afternoon and run into the night, OR start 3ish in the am and run into the day?
Date: fri night?? or Sat morn?
Let's get some input. I'm semi- flexable, but if were gonna do it, someone needs to take the bull by the horns here.
I vote for Sat, Sept 24 @ 3am. into the morn. No boat traffic in the morn. Can go anyplace yo want. I'd say O.C causeway. lotsa action under the lights, as well as good surounding sod for early mornin popper action. Then a big ol breakfast get together someplace.
sound good?

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Well the ramp at Tuckahoe Inn would be a great staging area. There is a hell of alot of terratory all around to fish. Starting at 3 am is kinda neat maybe the Tuckahoe Inn would sponsor it and open early for breakfast if they could get some publicity out of it in the press. I can work on trophies. I sold a Hobie to the manager of Scohphy trophy in Northfield.
Trump marina may also sponsor and allow us to stage and launch from the gas docks. Gilchrest is 200 yards away for breakfast.
Barrell

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by cvs:
Where is CISP??
Corson's Inlet State Park, Southend of Ocean City...

I am out for 9/24,, can't make it that weekend :(

[ 09-07-2005, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.