BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was thinking of getting into some of this kayak fishing. Where do you buy these boats. Also when you are fishing do you typically paddle up on some popping fish and achor? What about the current in certain areas? Just curious on how difficult it might be? Thanks

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Harry's Army Navy in Robbinsville, NJ has several types of fishing kayaks www.harrys.com

Down the Cape May shore, TI Kayaks, with several locations www.tikayaks.com

Gibson's Bait & Tackle a BassBArn sponsor, has Old Town kayaks.

Several types, Sit on top and cockpit boats (Sit inside (SIK). That's the first decision to make.

Several brands, Corbra, Wilderness Systems, Perception, Old Town, Ocean Kayak, Hobie (even makes one you can pedal).

Type "kayak fishing" into a search engine, you find lots of info.

My best advice is to try several before you buy - each hull is very different from another.

My personal favorite is the Wilderness System Pungo. I have mine rigged with Hummingbird Pirahana Fish finder with shoot thru hull transducer, locking milkcrate with rod holders attached for trolling, Berkley Quick Set rod holder mounted forward of the cockpit, Pulley anchoring system, swap in/out livewell system, and tackle boxes rigged on an internal pulley system. I also have the option sprayskirt that keeps the cockpit completely for those colder days.

I also have the Yakima Brand yak racks on the truck. Land shark saddles with the rear Hulley Rollers. Literally slide up the yak up on the racks, strap it down, off to fishing...

It is truly amazing how much "wildlife" you can see just silently paddling around.

·
Registered
820 Posts
jc,
Where do you fish? I have a Wilderness Systems Cape Outlook 145 that I am selling. I have been saying for a while that I am going to post pics, but have not had the time to take pics. I bought it in September of 2002, and used it about 10 times. Look on the Barn Sale, I'll bump it back to the top. I SHOULD have pictures after this weekend. Great boat, with lots of fish boated. It's sitting in storage right now waiting for the right person. I'm in Stone Harbor if your interested in seeing it.
Take care, and email me if you have questions- there is a lot that you learn from people who yak fish, but a lot more is learned while your out there. AWESOME sport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Check out Barrel Surf & Sport in Brigatine! That's the link in the post above!

Pungo is nice if you want a sit in.

Cobra Fish N Dive sit on top is very stable and great to fish out of. Try the Cobra Explorer if you want a little smaller. The FND is a little heavy to load & unload.

I have a 2 man Ocean Ambush sit on top. I never paddled it as it has a electric trolling motor. It's so stable I can stand in it! It's heavy and really needs a trailer but it's great to fish out of!

[ 06-16-2004, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: Bgsdad ]

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Kayaks are like other boats; you can spend as much or as little as you like. It's only a means of transportation to get you to out-of-reach fishing spots. I've got a small "cheap" sit-in yak that lets me get just about anywhere in the bay on a nice day (I won't do inlets or high-traffic areas, though, because that's stupid). It doesn't have the bells and whistles some other yaks have, but it does the job for me. I like it because it's small, light, and quick, and I have no problem fishing from it or throwing it in the back of my pick-up when I need to. Sometimes I'd like a sit-on-top, but I think I got the better end of the compromise with the one I have.

·
Registered
820 Posts
jc
My bad!!! I stopped at TI kayaks this weekend, where I had my boat on consignment, and guess what??? they sold it. Sorry for the confusion/ inconvenience. They sold it a couple of weeks ago and didn't tell me.
Also, I would definately take a look at the Wilderness Systems Tarpon Series kayaks. I have the 120- 12 ft. model. It's a sit on top model and has enough room for all of your accessories. I have flush mounted 2 rod holders, have a top mount rod holder, a fish finder, anchor system and some other misc. items.
You can get the Tarpon 120 for about 600.00, and install a couple of flush mounted rod holders for about 25.00. That's about all you need.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
jc;A great place to check out kayaks is Bel Haven Route #542 Green Bank N.J.They have a great selection.Best part is they have a lake by the store,and they let you give them a trail ride.Last fall I took a ride in a half dozen kayaks.Nice people to talk to.There e-mail address is www.belhavencanoe.com

·
Registered
78 Posts
JC,

I have fished the kayak that Dick's Sporting Goods sells. It's the Wilderness Systems "Pungo" model, approx 12' long. Easily paddled all through the bay, the best part for me is pulling up on sand bars and sod banks and "stalking" the fish. The "Pungo" on sale is $379, a cheaper fishing rig would be hard to find. Good luck and enjoy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts