BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellas, looking to get into the kayak thing this spring and summer. Basically I want to do this at nighttime when I don't feel like taking my boat out or when I want to fish shallow for the striped ones. What type of kayak do you guys recommend, and are they safe to get around the intercoastal waterway, I don't want to be sucked out to sea! Also, would like to hook up with someone who does this, shoot me an email if anyone yaks in OC......thanks

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
yep- I go often. All over. I'm in a cobra explorer. SOT. never dumped and been out more times than I could count.Stop in and see Barrell at Rootbeer barrell in Brig. He can fit ya with a perfect yak and let ya test them first. Also take ya fishin at some of our more productive SPOTS. ;) e-mail me if ya wanna get out

·
Registered
413 Posts
Ditto on going to see Barrell.

The only thing that could pull you out to sea is a very big fish. I have a Hobie Outback (pedal kayak) that I got from Barrell and never have had any trouble going against the current evey at full flood tide at Corsons. I've never came close to flipping either. Some guys are so confident in them (not mentioning any names) that they don't wear any pfds or cold weather gear.

Definitly see Barrell.

·
Banned
1,260 Posts
Just a few words about fishing in the ICW and paddling in the ICW at night IN A Kayak......YOUR FRIGGIN NUTS!!!!!!!!

Let me tell you a story. Years ago I fished offshore with a buddy on his 25 Mako. We returned after dark. After we passed under the bridge he pushed the boat up to a minimal speed to keep the boat on plane. A few seconds later something caught my eye and I hollared for him to shut the boat down. As the boat slowed to a stop a very surprised and scared man in a kayak began waiving a flashlight in the air. Had I not seen him when I did we might have killed him. He was running in the dark in the ICW with no lights. I hope he learned a lesson that night....I know we sure did. Bottom line don't venture anywhere near a heavily traveled waterway in a kayak in the dark without lights.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Good thread with some good words of warning. I have been kayak fishing through all four seasons now for about 3 years. Always, always have a pfd!!! If you are in an area with the potential for boat traffic, meaning the intracoastal and near inlet I advise you purchase a battery powered stern light that fits into the rear scubber holes. I stick to basins and secondary canals at night and I don't venture far from the bulkheads. I have a mustang survival blazer I use in any weather. It is very comfortable and breathable so you don't get too hot. Or the vest if the weather is hotter than 85. In the summer when you hook stripers at night there is always a oppurtunity for a bull shark to take interest in you or your catch, so flipping over can't always be ruled by the stabilty of the yak.
At night the water is very different and you can get turned around really easy. Bring a dry bag w/ cell phone, car keys, strobe and flairs like you would on a boat. Launch as close as you can to your fishing destination and keep your eyes and ears open for any threats and try to stay out of the main current incase a big fish grabs hold. Have your kayak anchor cleated of the bow and have plenty of lines on the bow and stern in case you suddenly have to tie up. Buy a boga grip for the precaution of landing fish to avoid hook injuries(which I can attest) and to get the fish out of the water boatside to reduce the risk of attracting predetors in the summer and fall. And nighttime isn't the time to look at the chart and fish areas that you are remotely familiar with. It's a whole new water way at night and don't count on anyone seeing you because they are just attempting to line up with their next bouy or marker.A flashlight pointed at a boat could appear to be the next lighted marker to an approaching vessel. When night fishing, fish shallow and protected waters that are in a populated area incase of emergency or a lighting storm.Don't be stuck standing on a sod bank when a thuderhead is rolling in. I still get a little nervous when I paddle off in the yak at
night but I consider that healthy and smart. And it all goes away in a hurry when you get that first hook up of the night.

[ 03-17-2006, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: insomniac ]

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
All good points. I try and stay away from boat traffic, and if for some reason I need to go into the ICW, I stay tight to the banks. Yaks r good for gettin places boats can't go, I try and stick to that. creeks!!!

I usually work the bridges at night as well as corson,s but again, tight to the banks (that's where the fish r anyways) There r boats around the bridges I work, but you cannot pass under those ridges in a boat, so all the boaters r put puttin along and anchorin up. Lights, lights, lights, can't have enough of them, the stern light above is a good idea and I use it. Life jacket, wet suit, can't have enough protection.

have to pay real good attnetion to what is goin on around you, in all directions

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Up & Over,
Keep you eye out for our yak that we keep down at the Southern End of OC.We put in at Corson's Boat Ramp all the time.Your welcome to hang if you are around.Keep me posted..

Also in a couple of weeks(April)over in the HomePort Fourm we run a Kayak Fishing Report & Information Thread week to week all season long
which can be a great help throughout the year for asking questions and making contacts..

Good Luck Out There...

[ 03-18-2006, 01:05 AM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Banned
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nightstrikes, I see your kayak is registered with the state, is this mandatory? I was just gonna buy one, throw it in the water and paddle away! Certain types have to be registered or all kayaks?

1,160 Posts
i don't think its mandatory in NJ. Might be a good idea for saftey however.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Originally posted by CAPTKIRK:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by UP and OVER:
Nightstrikes, I see your kayak is registered with the state, is this mandatory? I was just gonna buy one, throw it in the water and paddle away! Certain types have to be registered or all kayaks?
I believe you need to register your kayak if you put a motor on it, otherwise you don't. </font>[/QUOTE]

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by UP and OVER:
This is our Two Man Ocean Ambush with Trolling Motor Mounted,Thats The Reason For The Reg.#'s.

PaddlePower Registration is Not Needed I'm Sure.

Here is a picture without the moter -

And Bruces (BGSDAD) with the motor-

[ 03-21-2006, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
I have the exact same yak n-strikes (might have mentioned before)

One of these times I'll have to meet up with ya at corsons, maybe pick up a few pointers about the motor, batt ect

I have the same motor as shown above, but never got the right battery for it, been paddlin for years....this is the year to get the motor thing down!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yak fishing is a blast and safe with a little common sense. A comfortable functional PFD is required equipment. Hit the links below and have a good time. NRS is a great company, their customer service is outstanding. If you make it to TI kayaks tell them Gabe sent you. There is a big paddle show this weekend http://www.jerseypaddler.com/paddlesport/index.html
Welcome to the realm of the obsessed.

http://www.allkayakfishing.com/

http://www.kayakfishinggear.com/

http://www.kayaksportfishing.com/rigged_kayaks.htm

http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/

http://www.nrsweb.com/

http://www.tikayaks.com/

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by sjb saxatilis:
I have the exact same yak n-strikes (might have mentioned before)

One of these times I'll have to meet up with ya at corsons, maybe pick up a few pointers about the motor, batt ect

I have the same motor as shown above, but never got the right battery for it, been paddlin for years....this is the year to get the motor thing down!!!
You got it,, we should be getting into it next month for the season..I really like the motor factor in the back.I don't know how many time we are able to just sneak up on breaking fish without spooking them.Not to mentioned being able to cover alot more ground in a short period of time and after a long night just cruising back to the ramp...

1,160 Posts
nightstrikes that yak is hardcore! my wofe rolled her eyes at me when i upgraded to a new paddle. imagine wat she would say if i added a motor.

[ 03-22-2006, 01:04 AM: Message edited by: Roddy Roddy Striper ]

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.