BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for recommendations on a rod and reel combo for use primarily on my Kayak. I'm looking for a spinning outfit that won't break the bank (say $150ish for the combo) and can also be used off the sod banks and from the boat. It will be spooled with powerpro. This will replace an old 4500SS combo. I'm partial to Shimano and was considering a baitrunner model. Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Baitrunner's aren't great for plugging. Might want to look into the shimano symetre or a stradic in the 4000/5000 size. Match it up with a 7' st. croix premier and you have a decent combo for about $150.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Good Advise Matt,,
Excellent setup there..I have been using my 6.6" GL2 Loomis and Shimano Sustain,but that is a too expensive outfit for using off the yak.I have nightmares of dropping it overboard.. So I am now going to use my Fin-Nor Lite Combo.They have some
good quality equipment that would run in your $150.00 range...

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
4000 Spheros...Rod of your choice.
Strikes, you can get a rod leash to secure your gear to the boat. No more worries man.

[ 07-05-2005, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: KeysKid ]

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by KeysKid:

Strikes, you can get a rod leash to secure your gear to the boat. No more worries man.
Cool, I will have to check that out. Thanks Josh..

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
6'6" to 7'6" rod and a good spinning reel like the Shimano 4000's, Penn 4500, Daiwa 3000 to 3500 with power pro should do fine. Make sure you have a net or long boga's to land fish if you use a long stick.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Don't overlook a Tica Libra. About $60 give or take. Match with any of the sticks mentioned above.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I use Shimano Spheros 4000, and a 7' St. Croix. Does real well from a Kayak. I was in Long Island about a month ago drifting in the bay for some fluke in a yak. The set-up did fine. Also caught some nice fish

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
I use a 5-6 light most of the time or a 6 foot medium action if the fish willl be bigger Landing fish in a yak is easier with a short rod.
TICA, TICA,TICA - The best reels for the money and they replace them if they fail.
Barrell

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, not that familiar with Tica. Any recommendations on retailers for them? I usually use tackledirect.com and they don't seem to carry them. Cabelas doesn't have much either.

Also, regarding line. I was planning 30lb powerpro. Any ideas on color and spooling method? I've read a variety of articles on starting with a mono backing and also joining in mono at the end. Other thoughts?

Thanks for all the info. This has been great so far.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I would recommend picking a rod that does not have an overly long butt. Most of the suggested rods above would probably fit your needs.

I tend to match the line to the equipment used. Most of rods suggested will probably be around the 8 to 15lb. range. On my jigging rods I typically spool with 10lb. powerpro with mono backing. I use a small spro swivel to attach a length of 15lb. leader. Many or probably most will argue against this choice. I have found that when I get hung up on the bottom it can become a real task if I have to break it off. Even with the 10lb the 15lb leader will break before the powerpro 90% of the time. I first tie the leader to the swivel with a palomar and the braid with a uniknot. I use a improved clinch or a loop knot at the jighead as they are "weaker" knots and this is the point I want to break first.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Diawa Sealine X 7' Med action about $45

Okuma Aluma Lite (corrosion resistant) 30 reel for about $90

Paddle leash (use parachute cord) = priceless :D

BassPro Shops has a hook keeper that is a glorified "O" ring w/ a little "o" that slips over the butt cap. Ideal for tying the parachute cord to spot on yak. Instant perfect rod leash. ;)

[ 07-07-2005, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: Eric G ]

·
Registered
931 Posts
Stickem, I use conventional reels but I agree with Barrel about rod length. My rods are 6 1/2 to 7 feet long. I find that i usually don't need to make long casts on my kayak because you can sneak up on fish. The shorter lengths are easier to handle in my opinion. I love St.Croix rods. I have 2 conventional and 2 fly rods from them.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I have used both and will continue to use both my longer (7 1/2-8ft) and shorter (6ft) rods, but if the fish dives below the boat and heads for the other side, it's easier to get your rod tip over the front of the boat with a longer rod. Or, you could just put your rod in the water and have the fish turn ya. Either way works.
My favorite rod is my 6', Medium power Medium/fast action, 6-18 lb line rated, 3/8- 1 1/2 oz lure weight Loomis spooled with 30 lb. power pro (prob could go lighter- 20-25lb test. the rod is more than your looking to spend, but good specs. for a fun kayak rod. It's good for casting and really plays the fish when you hook a big one. Not the greatest trolling rod though, as it is not stiff enough IMO.
The plus to a kayak is you can use a smaller rod and reel to catch bigger fish since the bigger fish will pull you around, taking some of the load off of the rod and reel, where a larger boat and off of land is more stationary, and there isn't much give.
Just my thoughts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts