BASS BARN banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
12,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Yakima roof bars on a truck cap. Truck is a full size with a cab high cap.
This gives you basic info on vehicle I have.

So now the question, which roof mount are you finding the easiest to load and unload the kayak?

A mount where the kayak lays on its side

Or

A mount where the kayak lays on its bottom.

I'm purchasing either a hobie or ocean kayak appox 14 ft.

Thanks

·
Registered
292 Posts
I used one when i had a cap- only used it twice b/c it was just easier to chuck the yak in the truck and close the tailgate w/cap door open. Ive had both types and found that the cradle type(side) is a little harder to load and unload from compared to laying the yak down. Those lift assist jobbies are supposed to be the bomb if you have a high roof and need to put the yak up there. IMHO use the truck bed and save yerself sum dough:thumbsup:

·
Registered
826 Posts
I use the fins on my front yakima bar and the hullie rollers on the rear and was happy with that for the money. Makes it easier to lift by myself. But after the last NJ Angler tourn after fighting wind all day I watched a guy with the Thulie hyralic assisted lift where you only have to lift the kayak waist high put his away. Worth every penny if you can afford it. That will be my next kayak carrier.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
i got so used to sliding it fully rigged into the bed of my pick up truck, that even with my cherokee now i put the back seat down and slide it in and let it hang out. you have a pick up truck dude, don't worry about un-rigging it and lifting it high....just slide it in the bed and strap it in.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
i got so used to sliding it fully rigged into the bed of my pick up truck, that even with my cherokee now i put the back seat down and slide it in and let it hang out. you have a pick up truck dude, don't worry about un-rigging it and lifting it high....just slide it in the bed and strap it in.
Ditto, Its so easy with a truck to transport the fully rigged and loaded kayak ready to fish. When it goes on the roof everything must be removed and then reinstalled and then removed and then reinstalled and then removed and then reinstalled and then...... well you get it. I isnstall stainless batery tie downs to all my pickup truck owners Hobies. These allow you to strap it in the the bed rock solid with the tailgate down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts