BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suppose to pick up a Hobie Outback this weekend.
Wondering if there are any yak(I guess this the lingo I have to learn)tournaments this summer?
Can't wait to get it out on my lake and see if
I can peddal my gut off(already worked my a$$
off).

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The 2005 Absecon Bay Sportsman Center "Do It All Night" Striper tournament included a kayak division. I do not know if there were any kayaks entered. Dave would probably include a kayak division in the 2006 tournament if asked.

PS I have a Hobie Outback. It's terrific!

[ 03-22-2006, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: maine_sport ]

·
Registered
912 Posts
When I pick up my Kayak (outback) I would love to enter the tournament but I never get off do to my daughter being 8 months old. But you never know. This would be cool.

Brian

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
b4 loran, We are trying to put one together around AC. Liability insurance has been a problem. Are you the guy planning on getting an orange one.
Any insurance guys know how we can obtain insurance for a one day event like this. My company wont cover it.
Barrell

[ 03-23-2006, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: barrell ]

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Originally posted by Brian E. Mullaney:
WHATS THE STRONGEST TYHRUST TROLING MOTOR THATS OUT??? IM GETTING OLD - I NEED IT WITH TRAING WHEELS TOO :D
just get a 2 person yak and make jodi paddle :D :D

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Remeber in ayak you dont have an alternator to recharge the battery. The bigger the motor the more juice needed. Its a real ***** to have to paddle back after the battery goes dry. Maybe nightstrikes has more info on batteries and battery life.There is a guy in Delaware that rigged a solor panel on his yak setup.
Barrell

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Yea,we have a good size battery and a "not over the top" trolling motor..But the key is to use it wisely.Like for example when we are traveling with the tide its paddlepower all the way,we really try to conserve the battery life as much as possible.Alot of times we will only use it for brief periods at a time when moving to known spots that hold fish quickly and getting back fast to a starting point to work a drift that we just had success on.But for the most part we try to have full power for the trip back to the ramp when its against the tide or wind.And ofcourse making sure your battery is fully and properly charged before each outing...

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Bri,
About 30lbs thrust is about as heavy as you want to go generally in a normal SOT...the more thrust the more that thing weighs...the 30lb thrust weighs 12lbs..nice.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Brian, Let me chime in.
A motor that is too small will use more battery life than a bigger motor because you are over working the motor and causing more draw.
I have a 2 man Ocean Ambush with a 50# thrust motor that pushes 2 pretty good size guys around with no problem.
Battery life has not been a problem yet.
Prior to that I had a 43# thrust motor that was originally on my Cobra Fish N Dive and battery life was never a problem.
When I put it on my Ambush it started to become pretty hairy some nights, especialy against wind and tide.
This puts a big strain on the motor and causes it to overdraw.
That can create major problems that can cause a fire (that plastic will burn fast especially when fed by a nice breeze). It can also cause a battery to explode.
Here are my suggestions...
40# to 55# saltwater trolling motor. (55# is the largest I have seen in 12V)
Heavy Duty Marine Battery with the most cranking amps you can get. (Standard, Orbital or Gel Battery)Remember the more cranking amps the larger and heavier the battery. Size and weight are an issue.
Keep all connections tight, clean and free of corrosion. This will effect battery life and cause overdraw which can also lead to fire or explosion.
Always keep battery fully charged. Invest in a good battery charger that will not overcharge. Charge at 2 amps. Charging at 10 or 20 amps can warp the plates in a cell which will cause a bad cell or short the battery out. Never charge a fully discharged battery at more than 2 amps. That can cause them to explode or reverse polarity.
Call me if you need any help!

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Brian - call Rob the Fish Mgr at Harry's for the MinKota. Tell 'em Eric G sent ya. ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Last Year the NJ Angler Tournament had a kayak division. Were only aloud to put in from the bay side though. This years date is 5/20. We can help out team bass barn and get in a nice kayak tournament at the same time.
Last year it was very windy in the back. Had one bass on early and lost it. After that it was only blues to be found with the group I was with.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts