BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since a person died in OC a good questions arise. What water temp do you decide it is not safe enough, Has anyone tried falling out with Neoprene Waders in cold water? Does it help or is a wet suit a must. With more and more yakers its no wonder there aren't more stories of problems in cold water locally.

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
I have not tried to get wet while wearing neoprene. I feel safe for a few reasons.
1) I am relatively young and in decent shape.
2) I am rarely more than 50 yards from shore.
3) I am wearing 5mm neoprene waders that are cut high on the chest, 3mm neoprene jacket, with wading belt.
4) I have an excellent PFD.

The paddleshack in Mays Landing offers winter/snow paddles. I guess if you are dressed appropriately, you can go all winter.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Is a winter/snow paddle heated?? :confused:

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
No, they call social paddling events "paddles".

·
Registered
413 Posts
I watched one of these winter paddles while they are getting ready at Beasley's point. Probably 20 degrees, some ice floating in the bay. The kayakers were all wearing dry suits. Latex, not neopreme, gaskets at the arms, lega and neck. The suits keep them warm by regualr winter clothing under them. No water gets in. They passed the time waiting for the start by floating in the icy cold water.

Cost of a dry suit, $500. Each person has to decide if he/she is worth that much.

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
yeh, the drysuits are not cheap. Best price I have seen is $400 at Paddleshack. I have an Aquaskinz drytop I can wear over waders with gaskets at wrists and neck. I'm looking forward to some winter paddles, maybe down GE River or some local creeks. Anyone interested?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wear neoprene waders 3mm and Aquaskinz dry top. I always thought this was good enough just wanted to see what others thought? Haven't had a situation to have to test whether it wouldnt be good enough. Do practice occasionally getting in and out of overhead water but not in cold water to date,

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Brian,
I'll try to organize one for January or February.

·
Registered
427 Posts
5/3 wetsuit with hood, booties, and gloves. If i can stay out surfing for 2 hours in february totally immersed in water, then i guarantee you will be fine on a kayak. However handling a hook and line with the gloves on are going to be very difficult, as they are to take off and on. So you may have to improvise on a better glove application there. Otherwise im fine in my wetsuit, and when i say fine i am completly comfortable and not cold at all, except for your face which is exposed and diving under an oncoming set of waves causes an ice cream headache. Eventually though the cold does get to you especially to your extremeties, but by no means hypothermic.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I wear the same as clutch, but would add something to break the wind over top of the wetsuit. wetsuits work by trapping a thin layer of water against your skin which is then heated by your body. when you're dry you can still feel the wind a bit. as far as neoprene waders I would be hesitant to be submerged in them, and if you do use them a PDF of some sort is a must, I immagine they would be very awkward to swim in.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
The best gloves I have found for cold weather yak fishing are the gore-tex /thinsulate type that duck and deer hunters use. The best of those are the flex gore-tex that cabelas sells for $35 a pair.
barrell

·
Registered
427 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Suggestion to all....

Before relying on neopreme waders to save you from a spill in cold weather try wearing these at home in the summer, jump in a pool ( with someone with you) and see what happens. You will sink when the water enters the waders and mobility will be severely diminished! Don't rely on a belt either! Couple this with cold weather and another bulky jacket/ parka you are asking for trouble.

I had used chest waders while duck hunting in my sneakbox for years until I was alerted to the potential danger by a Fed Game Warden. From then on I motored out to my gunning spot wearing knee boots and brought my chest highs in the boat.

As an avid paddler of canoes, a wetsuit is mandatory in cold weather. A 'farmer john' style should be sufficient in most conditions and are not a major investment. A fleece layer with a "dry" jacket should be plenty on top.

Respect the cold ! When it kills it doesn't care if you are young and a good swimmer.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Garbage bags are fine as long as they are of the industrial grade. Twist-ties are a "must"with this gear and stay away fron the clear models.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I am just curious about this mode of transportation for fishing. I was going through the Indian River Inlet, DE a few weeks ago and saw two or three guys fishing the inlet. Two guys were near the bridge uprights if you are familiar with them. Only problem is one of the guys was in the water I guess he fell out or got swamped from one of the headboats coming in. Anyhow, my question is were these guys in the "norm" when it comes to this type of fishing? I have no clue...never did it before. I just know that when I go through that inlet the current makes my twin 454's work hard...couldn't imagine trying to get back in a kayak with that current. What is it like? Water has to be cold!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts