·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's see abundant in 1900 netted till near extinction then banned
Lots of fish in the 30s ban lifted netted to near extinction banned again
Lots of fish in the 50s ban lifted netted to near extinction banned again
Lots of fish in the 70s ban lifted netted to near extinction banned again
No bass in the 80s nj and others make strictly a game fish now there are plenty of bass keep it a game fish it will spread more wealth than the few commercial fisherman and greedy polititians will ever give back it doesn't take a masters degree in marine biology to see 100 yrs of what history already told us LEAVE ONE FISH FOR THE PEOPLE WHO REALLY CARE ABOUT RECREATION TO ENJOY WITHOUT THE B.S.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Stripers need a slot limit recreationaly. Yesterday , today, and tomorrow guys will be taking big breeding females in Delaware bay. You cant keep killing females with 40 million eggs inside and excpect it not to effect bass. Slot limits have worked all over the south.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Stripers need a slot limit recreationaly. Yesterday , today, and tomorrow guys will be taking big breeding females in Delaware bay. You cant keep killing females with 40 million eggs inside and excpect it not to effect bass. Slot limits have worked all over the south.
It is frustrating that this solution to protect big breeders seems so obvious but it can't gain traction with the regulators.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Slot = the closest thing to natural selection in predation. Hence, smaller fish are there to be eaten, larger fish have survived to breed. That is until man and his machines disrupt the natural order. Oh yes, and then there's money.........:rolleyes:

·
Registered
489 Posts
so true i said this for years but as u can see on here many of guys with a big o smile on there face standing there posing with a 40lb they just caught dont understand why u cant just take a picture and release it back to have little ones. Everyone i have ever talked to have said that the big bass that size dont even taste that good if they dont taste good what the hell on earth would u want to keep it for just to say hey look what i caught im thinking there should be a slot make it 2 fish 24"-32" (or some thing clost to this) anything over that u have to throw back

·
Registered
327 Posts
Stripers Forever ORG Free membership

so true i said this for years but as u can see on here many of guys with a big o smile on there face standing there posing with a 40lb they just caught dont understand why u cant just take a picture and release it back to have little ones. Everyone i have ever talked to have said that the big bass that size dont even taste that good if they dont taste good what the hell on earth would u want to keep it for just to say hey look what i caught im thinking there should be a slot make it 2 fish 24"-32" (or some thing clost to this) anything over that u have to throw back
Great to see some logical thoughts is print. Consider joining Stripers Forever who are trying to convince legislators to make Stripers a game fish, just like the Federal Government wants. Search for Stripers Forever on line, Thanks Bill

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
How does joining Stripers Forever, or making Stripers a game fish only, do anything at all about - - - "guys with a big o smile on there face standing there posing with a 40lb they just caught dont understand why u cant just take a picture and release it back to have little ones."

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
a 40 pounder in the 80s & 90s was extremely rare

I'm totally against that, and have released dozens of fish over 35 pounds.
The way the system is now its working if the bigger fish were released it would be better if all states would follow game fish it would be even better when I got the striper bug in the 80s I never thought of a 40 pounder now fish are recorded in the 80 pound range but the commercial side pays off the political #@&%$ to make money for themselves and to justify scientists division of fish and other b.s. jobs when whats happening now is working. Recreational wealth gets spread over the whole community and supports sport and family values that are quickly forgotten over greed. I am going to join the striper website for strength in numbers to make a differance

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Yes but what is your official position on a slot?
Great to see some logical thoughts is print. Consider joining Stripers Forever who are trying to convince legislators to make Stripers a game fish, just like the Federal Government wants. Search for Stripers Forever on line, Thanks Bill

·
Banned
2,659 Posts
I would prefer a 24" to 28" slot and one trophy fish a year
Hate eating the big one and hate throwing back the tasty shorts
Who really wants to eat a 40 pound mercury marinated bass,,,, not me

·
Registered
10,008 Posts
I misread your intentions aimless. ....and totally agree with removing all stripers from commercial harvest.

If you've read John Coyle s Striper you'd know they have had recreational value since the pilgrims came here.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I misread your intentions aimless. ....and totally agree with removing all stripers from commercial harvest.

If you've read John Coyle s Striper you'd know they have had recreational value since the pilgrims came here.
Game fish status for striper is nothing more then an allocation grab from the rec sector. The quota is split 70 rec 30 com.

·
Registered
10,008 Posts
Game fish status for striper is nothing more then an allocation grab from the rec sector. The quota is split 70 rec 30 com.

Is it? Tell us how it's affected n.j. commercial harvest vs. recreational? NJ uses the bonus card to save stripers. The entire state commercial harvest IS reserved for recs....if they have a card. What's not caught by recs,is truly saved for our children

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Is it? Tell us how it's affected n.j. commercial harvest vs. recreational? NJ uses the bonus card to save stripers. The entire state commercial harvest IS reserved for recs....if they have a card. What's not caught by recs,is truly saved for our children
Look at all the great reports coming out of the d-bay! Guess the jersey guys have no one to blame but ourselves?

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Recs poach plenty, but the commercial poaching of stripers has been out of control. Like no other fishery! The striper comms have a real bad rep after the busts of last couple of years.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
A 24-32 inch slot for stripers would be great. It would prevent the unnecessary slaying of big bass and give back bay anglers a shot at a keeper off the sods year round. I'd rather eat the smaller fish anyway. It is better in my opinion to have more big fish to catch and release than to have less big fish which are decreasing due to harvest. Those big girls will produce plenty of little bass to load the back bays year round. Plugging for slot bass on light tackle in the summer and getting a nice meal would be great.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
But where are the RFA, CCA, and STRIPERS FOREVER ON THIS?
A 24-32 inch slot for stripers would be great. It would prevent the unnecessary slaying of big bass and give back bay anglers a shot at a keeper off the sods year round. I'd rather eat the smaller fish anyway. It is better in my opinion to have more big fish to catch and release than to have less big fish which are decreasing due to harvest. Those big girls will produce plenty of little bass to load the back bays year round. Plugging for slot bass on light tackle in the summer and getting a nice meal would be great.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts