BASS BARN banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
just got my cast net compliments of BT3100 , just wondering if any body had any tricks to keeping peanut bunker alive , they arent very hardy , and ive spotted schools at night, but would like to live line them for fluke the following day? any ideas?

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Keep the #'s down & just keep your livewell pumping. Never had any problem with about forty in my 50gal. well for a whole day.R&R

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Hey guys, just a reminder...when you're cast netting PB's be tactful in the amount you harvest! They are the offspring of the larger menhaden that are a super important food source for bass, blues, and other fish. Once you get enough for a day's fishing, stop netting 'em! They don't "net and release" well, and don't freeze well either - they turn to mush!

Have a great day, and those cooler conversion kits work pretty good. Nothing can beat a good flow-thru livewell system, though!

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TheAdamBomb said:
Hey guys, just a reminder...when you're cast netting PB's be tactful in the amount you harvest! They are the offspring of the larger menhaden that are a super important food source for bass, blues, and other fish. Once you get enough for a day's fishing, stop netting 'em! They don't "net and release" well, and don't freeze well either - they turn to mush!

Have a great day, and those cooler conversion kits work pretty good. Nothing can beat a good flow-thru livewell system, though!

thoroughly agreed.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
The year before I vacum packed about a dozen packs of peanuts and stored them in my garage freezer.When they defrosted they looked like I just got them.They worked in the bay as well as the inshore reefs.;)
I didn't bother vacum packing anymore though,the thought of peanut juice and nice steaks ,ade me refrain from doing anymore.:D

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
killing small bait fish

its got to be one off the things that makes want to screem.
theres nothing more wastful then some one keeping buckets of dead bait fish that they are going to wast.
see it every year 5gl.buckets full of peanuts some azz hole says he is going to use for bait. sad part is there most likely to be the first to b1tch about the com.guys.
same thing with mullet i dont think any one realy needs a 5gl. bucket of dead fish.
and then theres the guys on the beach that dump dead mullet on the beack every morning befor catching a fresh batch.
would it be so frigin hard to let them go when your done for the day or give them to some one that can use them.

hate to say it but i think its even worse then people keeping short fish.

sorry for the rant but it drives me nuts.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I have a bait cage that I throw in at the boat slip....a little trick I learned from SKA tourn. fishing...they keep pretty well for a couple of days if you dont over crowd...but take only what you will use...:D

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BEACHBASSARD said:
its got to be one off the things that makes want to screem.
theres nothing more wastful then some one keeping buckets of dead bait fish that they are going to wast.
see it every year 5gl.buckets full of peanuts some azz hole says he is going to use for bait. sad part is there most likely to be the first to b1tch about the com.guys.
same thing with mullet i dont think any one realy needs a 5gl. bucket of dead fish.
and then theres the guys on the beach that dump dead mullet on the beack every morning befor catching a fresh batch.
would it be so frigin hard to let them go when your done for the day or give them to some one that can use them.

hate to say it but i think its even worse then people keeping short fish.

sorry for the rant but it drives me nuts.
i want to make it distinctly clear: 1. i do not waste bait, the whole point of this thread was to find ways in which i could keep bait alive. 2. i do not keep excessive amounts of bait that i will not use...

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
killing bait fish

what i said had had nothing to do with you!!!!:confused:
however i should have given addvice on your Q-:eek:
if you can find some one that is in the swimming pool mantinace racket.
there clorine comes in 10gl. buckets with screw on lids.
i made a live well out of one for the back of my truck.
drill a small hole nere the top to insert tubing for one of those small d-size battery air pumps with the air stone. i can 30 or 40 mullet a live for 3 or 4 days.
25 to 50 peanuts will only last about a day depending on size.
make sure the bucket is clean!!!
it will also help to change the water after they have been there a few hours.
good luck.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
I agree with the above posts on keeping bait alive. In addition pet stores sell chemicals to increase fish life. The most popular is "stress coat" , worth the money.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Livewell, the greatest invention in boating history beside the engine. Troll em, bottom fish em, chum em live or dead. Pogies are great.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Without a livewell you are SOL. Sorry but they will never keep as you go to & from the fishing grounds.R&R

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
I tried to keep them overnight in one of those net keepers but the crabs got to themso I'd recomend the trash can route. What I do now is to catch them in the morning right around sunrise. They're at the top and easier to net that they are after the sun comes up.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Lucky John...if you have a chest freezer, spread them out on a cookie sheet and let them firm up real good...then vacuum seal. No mess and they will work just fine.

Personally, I prefer large spearing when you can find them....they are even tougher to keep alive

1 - 19 of 19 Posts