BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanna fish with live spot early Sun am. Was thinking of buying them eod Sat. How can I keep em alive for the morning?
Also, what live spot-carrying baitshop is open latest on Sat in the Wildwood/Cape May area (I fish out of pier47, won't be down there until Sat early evening)?

Thks for any advice, trying spot as bait for first time. :D

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
If you have a live well or pen you should be okay transporting them in a large bucket or cooler. The best way to transport would be in a live well though. Our official hours are til 6pm, but we live on the proerty so, if you need something after just call us and somebody will take care of you

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thks Chuck.

I have a livewell on the boat and also a minnow bucket I keep in the water at my slip. How big are spot, how many could I keep in a minnow bucket overnight (or could I)? Sorry for the novice questions but again, 1st time using spot.

Thks again!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think I'll need much more than a half dozen anyway, just gonna give it a shot before daybreak. I'll give you a holler if we're comin', thks!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think I'll need much more than a half dozen anyway, just gonna give it a shot before daybreak. I'll give you a holler if we're comin', thks!

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Not just for spots but minnows also.

The standard yellow and white minnow buckets have killed more bait than the fish we use the bait for.

Make a long run and reach in only to find many dead baits with their mouths wide open like they died screaming. They sufficated.

Fish use an incredible amount of oxygen. A minnow bucket holding a quart of water holds little oxygen. In a matter of a few minutes bait will be at the surface gulping for air. They are slowly sufficating.

My minnow bucket has been modified and it works great. I drill about thirty holes through the bottom. This way when the boat is docked the bait get a much better flow through of oxygenated water. When I move I simply lift and let the water run out. Minnows will do better damp than in water with no oxygen. If it's a long run I have a five gallon bucket of water so I can dip the bucket every so ofter to keep the minnows moist.

Spots will do better at the dock with the holes through the bottom again because of the flow through of water. You just can't leave them moist like minnows. When I travel with spots I just keep the minnow bucket inside the five gallon bucket filled with water.

All live bait will stay in much better condition with continuous water change. The way minnow buckets are made allows for minimal water change because they need to hold water. By drilling holes through the bottom you allow for a greater water change. If you need to hold water then place it in the five gallon bucket.

You will find out that you can hold more bait and keep it in better condition. Even if you don't make it down to the boat for a week or two.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Thanks for the info Fred. How long can you keep spot in a bait pen in the water? Do the need to be fed?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah thanks!

I will drill holes in bottom of my minnow bucket today as the spot will be in them at my dock overnight. I can then put them in the boat livewell in the morning for trip to reef.

Thks again for tip!

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Hi Tom.

I've had them alive in a pen for about three weeks now. I just crunch a green crab or two I catch around the dock and drop in. Spots love them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts