BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long will sand eels live if not kept in live well? Someone told me to put them on ice. I'd like to get some for a trip tommorrow, but I want to pick them up today.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
32,487 Posts
Sand eels? I don't know about sand eels but American eels are impossible to kill. If you're putting them on ice, you're probably talking about American eels. Are you buying them from the Sport Fishin' Outlet on Germantown Pike? I had eels in a bucket for 3 weeks and they were in mint condition for 3 weeks. They were in an inch of water and had no food, to boot. I put a couple of worms in the bucket but they didn't eat them. I just released them a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
535 Posts
i have 2 small buckets that are the same size and fit into each other like 5 gal buckets do. in the top bucket i have drilled small holes in the side and bottom. thisis where i keep the eels. i put a small amount of ice in w/ th eeels and the holes allow the water/slime to drain into the bottom bucket. i have kept them alive for a week like this in the past. just keep them out of direct sunlight.

[ 11-16-2004, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: matey ]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought these eels were both one in the same. So much to learn.
Yeah, I was going to get them from Harry's place on Germantown Pike. He's the one who told me about putting them on ice, I just didn't know how long I could keep them that way. Sounds like they're indestructible.

Thanks for the help,
Rob

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
ROb, they'll go a week on ice just keep them damp with a towel and don't let them actually come in contact with the ice cold water/ice itself.

The two bucket trick sounds perfect. I made a tray for the top of a cooler so I can keep them cold but up out of the water!

Or just forgetem and buy some white 1 oz bucktails

·
Registered
32,487 Posts
Oh yeah - the sand eels are smaller and are what we try to imitate when jigging an artificial like a Hopkins or diamond jig up and down off the bottom. I think they're pretty fragile and would be tough to keep alive.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was going to look for a place between Sea Isle and Cape May. What I've done the last few trips is just pick an area and drive til I see a piece of sand I'd like to try. I'm fairly new to the game, so I've been trying to get a feel for what different areas are like. Haven't been as far south as Cape May yet.
Can you access the rips from a jetty or do you need a boat? Boat is Probably a "must have" for that type of fishing.

Rob

·
Registered
32,487 Posts
You'd need a boat but you could probably catch a striper from the Cape May jetties. Under the Townsend's Inlet bridge is good at night unless the sea weed and grass are thick. Try the Cape May jetty.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Rob, I left half a dozen in a locked up bucket for THREE months one winter. Came back in April and the little S.O.B.'s were alive -- though it looked like at least one became sacrificial to the effort ... Bottom line: can't kill 'em.

·
Registered
285 Posts
those eels are almost imposible to kill, i just put them in my fish cooler with ice(easier to hook) always stayed alive for me.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
you can put them in toxic waste and they wont die keep them in the little bucket you use for killies and you wont have a problem. if you are worried about putting them on a hook just put some sand on a rag and presto they cant slither out of the rag.--or your hand for that matter.

·
Registered
324 Posts
i guess the important thing is to let them breathe because last week i got them in a plastic bags in north delaware and when i got down the beach they were almost all dead

·
Registered
570 Posts
yeah they're hard to kill but put em in some water without aeration and they will suffocate in no time. eels absorb oxygen through thier skin when out of water, but you have to keep them moist. cold makes them lethargic, heat makes them require more oxygen.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts