BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys do with your keepers when you are still on the boat? Do you prefer to fill a fishbox with water to keep them alive until you get back to port, ice them, or try another method? Trying to make things easier on myself and would like suggestions if you have any...thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
805 Posts
I've seen people put a rope threw the gills and hang them over the side of the boat till they get a bigger one ,I don't know how legal culling striper is though.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I take along a couple of milk containers filled with water almost to top and frozen in freezer. Kinda like a big ice cube with a handle. Take 'em home and put back in freezer for another day.
Keeps fish nice and cold.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
I ice em. Why keep em alive till cleaning time? They'll jump all over the cleaning station. Stripers...bleed em before putting them in the fishbox. All other types go on ice to keep the meat fresh/firm. I don't shark fish but your supposed to gut em as soon as caught and iced inside and out.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Depends on the fish. Following candyman, I use 2 litre bottles. 7 line the bottom of my mid-size cooler.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
as much ice as possible never let them get even a little warm.pack them like youre shipping them over seas!

·
Banned
426 Posts
I use the flat Grapefruit bottles, fill them up freeze em, they lay flat in the bottom of the cooler, and cover almost the whole thing.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Candyman, might want to keep an eye on "shifting" gallon jugs....will knock the crap out of a box in short time ;) ...might want to wrap in cloth to slow the slamming on the ride out. Catch a few, place them twds the ends of box as cloth is now slimy & will have a tendency to tenderize a "small" catch. Box thoes jugs in with fish ASAP :D

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Bleed the stripers. It's amazing when you see the quality fillets that come out of a striper when you bleed it.

My best way is to cover the fish with ice. It amazes me when I see coolers the size of small cars go into a boat and then one bag of $1.50 ice gets tossed in. Make sure there is a full layer of ice on the bottom with enough left over to fill in around the fish.

We want fresh fish but sometimes we seem to do everything possible to beat up the fish. Keep them as cold as possible till they hit the pan.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Originally posted by njvbass:
I've seen people put a rope threw the gills and hang them over the side of the boat till they get a bigger one ,I don't know how legal culling striper is though.
SCUMBAGS!!!!! :mad:

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
Iced Fish,make it a lot easier to clean.I mean,it just snaps off the bone!!..Ecspecially weakfish,if i ever catch another one in my lifetime!! :D

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Like Chunking says, but I bleed any fish that will be eaten.
My late Father-in-law was in the fish market business and his advice was to keep the fish ice cold and dry.
I put the fish in a heavy-duty trash bag after bleeding and put on ice.
I keep the drain plug out of the cooler so no water accumulates in the cooler.
Another way to keep them is to pour sea water mixed with kosher salt over lots of crushed ice or block ice in a cooler.
The fish will be near frozen when done properly.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Flaked ice and lots of it is the best. The big blocks with small fish like fluke or sea bass banging around the cooler can smash up your fish. Also, flake ice cools the catch much quicker than blocks. Bleeding certain fish such as stripers and blues is also key.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Like capthersh said--crushed ice mixed with sea water and kosher salt actually forms a slurry and almost freezes your catch. Guess it sorta works the way people used to make homemade ice cream using salt and ice. Definitely keeps your fish fresh.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I make sure to take every precaution when keeping fish for the table. All fish kept are bled and thrown on ice as soon as possible. Bleeding fish makes a tremendous difference in appearance when cleaning and much better meal.

Here are a few pictures of bled fish vs not...

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
WOW...What a difference!!...Thanks for them pics,thats some good stuff!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts