BASS BARN banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up some fresh clams today to do some fishing. Stioll have quite a few left. Was wondering if theres a way to keep them overnight or should i shuck them and keep them in the fridge overnight? Thanks for any info. Don

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

BT3100, Thanks for the reply. Don

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
When I buy clams I put them in a 5 gallon bucket of seawater and let them purge as they haven't been in the water for a day or two. Makes them last a lot longer.:D

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
ihunt49 said:
When I buy clams I put them in a 5 gallon bucket of seawater and let them purge as they haven't been in the water for a day or two. Makes them last a lot longer.:D
Seawater is the key word, not fresh water.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Here is the secret. Stack em in a cooler face down in rows. Ice the crap out of em. Leave the cooler drain open and prop the cooler up so the water can drain. Make sure the clams are face down so the water doesn't fill em up. They will last a long time, up to week. We buy bushels at a time and immediately put them in coolers like descibed. One trip for bait and fish all week.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Here is the secret. Stack em in a cooler face down in rows. Ice the crap out of em. Leave the cooler drain open and prop the cooler up so the water can drain. Make sure the clams are face down so the water doesn't fill em up. They will last a long time, up to week. We buy bushels at a time and immediately put them in coolers like descibed. One trip for bait and fish all week.

OR JUST PUT A WEDGE UNDER ONE SIDE OF THE COOLER

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Fish-on said:

OR JUST PUT A WEDGE UNDER ONE SIDE OF THE COOLER
Bobs got the right idea...a wedge under one side of the cooler isn't addressing the fact that the melting ice (freshwater) that could find it's way into a haphazardly strewn clam. Taking 5 minutes to arrange them hinge up goes a long way toward bivalve-al longevity.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts