BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please recommend some products and methods to keep live herring for use in livelining from the banks of the Delaware River? Not looking to break the bank here, just something that I can throw together for this purpose. Will be the first time livelining herring in the river.. Pictures are welcomed as well!! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
I have got it. Get one of those 100 dollar white oval baitwells from a Cabela's catelog. Just keep in mind how you are going to power it and plan to go through a lot of power to boot(I mean batteries or I think you can rig it to your car as well, not sure). Herring are more durable then you think. I kept 6 alive in a bucket last night(I swear it wasn't white, Oh my God am I busted) just changing the water every 20 minutes. Did not fish long though. Good Luck

·
Registered
379 Posts
Cuz,
Walmart sells battery operated airators. I use them for spot in a 5 gal. bucket and it keeps them alive all day. As Dr. Bass said, w/ herring you do need to change some of the water at least once an hour. Hope this helps. BTW-they only cost about $9. Get'em Wet, Pig

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
P-man

They were so thick yesterday you could have walked on water. Hope you loaded up.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
If you are not far from your truck a trash barrel and a pond pump to circulate the water works great. It the pump can run off an power invertor. You don't have to run it the whole time. The secret is plenty of water and only take as many fish as you will use. Taking water out and adding freash water wil help save your battery. i use a short section of hose off the pump and a sray head to break the surface as I'm recirculating the water.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
The Keep Alive system is just about the best I've found I have them all in stock as well as a full assortment of other areator supplies follow the lint to

Keep Alive

·
Registered
5 Posts
They are real easy to build and for under $30.
Go get yourself a Plastic 55 galon drum. Cut aprox 30", Make a lid out of plywood or plexiglass (Plexi is best). Get a buldge pump from any marine supply store adapt 1" PVC piping using "T" fittings, and caps. From here get a little creative. You are trying to make a waterfall effect to move the water. From Bottom to top. I have made many of these and they work great. For poweer goto local auto and get an adapt for Cig lighter, connect that to the pump. If you need any other help you can get me at AOL IM Jcmayf

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Opps, never mind

[ 04-08-2004, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Eric G ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts