BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just decided a couple weeks ago im keeping my boat at viking in new gretna instead of cape may to be closer to home....anyone have a slip there? is there alot of sport fisherman there or mostly yuppies with cruisers ???

·
Registered
578 Posts
Don't know anyone there,but Isn't that a pretty good hike to the ocean? will you be travelling in the dark much? LEI can get gnarly if you are not familiar with the area..

·
Banned
4,526 Posts
There is a nice bar to hang out at but... It is one LONG slow boat ride to the inlet. Over an Hour! I think I put in like 50 waypoints into my GPS to get me out & back when it was nice weather... so when it was dark and or foggy I would be able to stay in the channel and continue without worry... and also not lose too much time. You know when that temperature inversion happens out there and that fog hits ...it happens fast. Finally moved to Margate to save time. Trade off was one inlet has fish and structure and the other is like a empty parking lot! You guess which is which... :huh:

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Call Great Bay marina see if they have a slip available. Viking is too far up the river.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
My buddy was there for years until he sold his boat this year. It seemed to be about a 30 minute run to the inlet in the dark. He had the course set in his plotter. There are small channel markers of thin sticks. SHould you hit one it will just bend or snap off. He liked it as it was mostly brackish water. They have a fish cleaning station near the restaurant, nice bathrooms and showers, carts to load and unload with. Very nice facility. There is alot of good fishing to be had between there and the inlet. The only time he had a problem was in the dark on an extreme high tide where the sedge disappeared. Sea Tow solved that problem.:D

·
Registered
994 Posts
You'd be much happier at Great Bay Marina if you fish alot. Closer to the ocean, right on the bay, nice owners, and full of people that fish. If you prefer the bar and hanging out at the dock Viking would be better. Bob

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I can say something good about both marinas.

I've known Tom at Great Bay since I was about 10 years old. He's pretty much watched me grow up. It's a great marina with a lot of friendly people. We keep our boat behind the house less than a block away. However, Tom has blocked, winterized, and done work on our boat for many years now.

If you want access to the best inlet for a variety of fishing, Great Bay is the way to go.

I also know the people at Viking. They really took care of us in the hurricane. Had our boat out of the water, blocked, and way up in the back of the yard within a matter of hours.

Me, personally...Great Bay Marina. Then again, you're talking to a guy who's fished out of there for 18 years now.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Tom and Annie rock, GBM all the way.
did you put a deposit down yet on the slip?

been out of GBM for about 5 years now.
bait, fuel, tackle shop, marina, etc...

i can smell the bacon now!

oh, and...they'll treat your boat like it's theirs!!!

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
That's actually question number 1 here:

Have you merely "decided" you are going to go to Viking, or have you "committed" to going to Viking?

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
If you haven't made the written commitment, look at all the marina's in cape may. Less than 5 minutes of idle through the harbor and a great inlet. Beats the heck out of LE, plus the miles of back bay marshes...
We had our boat up in Great Bay back in the 80's. Awesome place, great bay fishing. But for breaking the inlet, a haul. Maybe I am just spoiled with CM.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Best bacon on the planet..

I have been their since a young kid, now 40.... I have been their several decades.

Bait, fuel, food, and people are great.. If you have Yami's jarvis marine is right down the road too. However GBM is very knowleeable too.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
If you haven't made the written commitment, look at all the marina's in cape may. Less than 5 minutes of idle through the harbor and a great inlet. Beats the heck out of LE, plus the miles of back bay marshes...
We had our boat up in Great Bay back in the 80's. Awesome place, great bay fishing. But for breaking the inlet, a haul. Maybe I am just spoiled with CM.
Actually depends on the type of fishing you do.

I wouldn't fish out of CM due to it being a LONG haul to the Hudson. From LEI, it's about 80 miles to the closest point. Running out of LEI, we have pretty much all of the major canyons from the Hudson to the Baltimore within reasonable reach.

That's just me though.

·
Registered
602 Posts
from GBM, 5 miles, and you're out of LEI.
don't forget, that if the weather turns on you, you still have ALL THAT BAY to fish\crab\clam.

i have a 20ft tidewater, and many days i was planning to go outside, only to be foiled by the fog\wind\etc...

stayed in great bay and had a blast.
it's nice to have a plan B.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Best bacon on the planet..

I have been their since a young kid, now 40.... I have been their several decades.

Bait, fuel, food, and people are great.. If you have Yami's jarvis marine is right down the road too. However GBM is very knowleeable too.
Kinda crazy looking back and realizing more than 50% of your life has been spent around that place.

Even crazier...i have yet to make it there for breakfast LOL. Going to change that this season! :D

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
Actually depends on the type of fishing you do.

I wouldn't fish out of CM due to it being a LONG haul to the Hudson. From LEI, it's about 80 miles to the closest point. Running out of LEI, we have pretty much all of the major canyons from the Hudson to the Baltimore within reasonable reach.

That's just me though.

Yea, forget the hudson from Cape May on my rig. On the plus side I can hit the baltimore and it is less than 60 miles. :thumbsup:

We don't usually have the problems of bugs where I am cape may either. Those greenheads up there can eat a new born :D

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Yea, forget the hudson from Cape May on my rig. On the plus side I can hit the baltimore and it is less than 60 miles. :thumbsup:

We don't usually have the problems of bugs where I am cape may either. Those greenheads up there can eat a new born :D
AMEN!!!! it is the greenies that keep the crowds down a lil.. if there where no bugs it would be too many people in our paradise.... Don't forget the knats too...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.