BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My uncle has been fishing for 20+ years-
My uncle came over to my place this past weekend and said I could take his skiff out any time I wanted. He preceeded to tell me a spot that was hot and ended by saying "the small ones are best to keep (gesturing the size- 15-20")".
I'm not really a conservationist, but I do my job to keep the striper population growing. I strictly follow the rules for fish sizes and limits as I realize what had caused the decline in striper population years ago.
I then started to argue with him (in front of my family and his wife) stating it was not legal and how the striper population is thriving from the regulations. Not only that, but you can get in a heap of trouble if you get caught. He shook his head and said "naaaahhh..." and blew me off.
I walked away to go fishing and repeated it was wrong what he was doing. I think I made my point.
I was hoping to get out and fish with him a couple of times and show him some of my secret spots, but now realize it's never going to happen. I like catching and releasing small fish, and hope to keep doing the same for years to come.
To all of you that follow the regs, my hats are off to you. To all of you that think you are somehow better than the regs, your day will come.
Sorry, but I had to vent.
Brent

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yeah sometimes I have the same problem with my old man who likes to refer to them as "grillers"

thank god I fish with him most of the time to feed him the riot act and make sure they all get let go.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I took my 2 sons out with me and my nephew. We hooked into some 20 inch striper along a bridge which is a favorite spot of mine. My kids know the regulation on stripers and proceeded to explain them to my nephew who also understands the regulation clear and why they are in place. I was so very proud to know that what I am teaching them is truely in the best interest of the striper population and some good lessons for them in life. Maybe your uncle should come fish with my kids they will let him know what he can keep and what he cant. Its a shame you have to deal with that amongest your family members. But hey I am glad your voicing your opinon with him and make dam sure that he understands that if he is caught he faces fines. Boy I hate guys like your uncle. Sorry just venting.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Oh by the way my kids are 8 and 10! They show more respect for the stripers then your uncle whom I am guessing is old. Well ..... dont get me started. Good luck with all that.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hear ya harbor. I guess he thinks they are so abundant that taking some for dinner won't hurt the population. It makes me sick, and I will keep pushing my point until I piss him off, or he starts thinking about the big picture. Funny thing is, I used to look up to him when it came to fishing. Not any more...

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
What has a more adverse effect on the fish stock: Someone who fishes every day and takes all the legal fish each day or the guy that takes one 20" fish a few times a season?

I follow the regs., however the regs. are made with the masses in mind and not each individual. Just like most of our other laws we have to live with.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Flyfish makes a very good point. NJN ran a great program last night around 8 to 9 on stiped bass. They made a good point about losing the stock about the time I was coming home from RVN. Lots of surf coverage, tourneys, etc. I too have been told the smallies taste better , on and on. But I feel uncomfortable making my play outside the bounds. I have a friend that does it so much our local Sportsman's Club no longer has any deer around. He's such a proud Dad, takes is child daughter on top of the skeet houses to bust fox late at night. Club has rules about wildlife- like let it all live peacefully on the property. Sorry for the preach, but I just had to get that off my back. Nobody will confront the leadership about this for fear, anomosity, etc. Do the right thing and feel good about it. Now, which bamboo to I use today ?

·
Registered
938 Posts
fly fish,thats the best thing you could have done.
embarassing him in front of his family will far outway any fine.(if he did get cought,he might just build a better mouse trap.or in this case figure out a better way not to get cought.)
and yes your point was delivered.you attacked his soul! keep hammering and educating him,he'll see the light.the only question is when?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hey Jimbo I understand not one person is making a dent in the population. It is the fact he thinks that he doesnt have to follow the rules. I know rules are made to be broken according to most of us but when teaching the sport we all have grown to love since we were young to kids I think we should include the rule book as we do about life. Its a matter of following the rules they are in place for a reason and I just think his uncle feels he is above these rules. I follow them and I think most do. Just my 2 cents man.

·
Registered
385 Posts
It's a shame he doesn't respect the rules ... and since you've looked up to him in the past, it's a shame he won't respect your opinion now (or listen to you who is right!)
Last week I let go a 33 15/16 striper while DESPERATELY attempting to get one for the grill.
And what made me feel the best is that after I released the striper, I realized how much I cared for and respected the bass - literally hustling/running to minimized it's time out of the water. When I released him he didn't swim right away - so even though I didn't want to ... belly deep I went with him in my hands. Revived him for about 10-12 seconds and the best feeling is when he "kicked" strongly from my hands. I guarentee that feeling is better than keeping a questionable striper.
The best you can do is continue to demonstrate the right thing and teach all anglers, young and old, how to respect and care for our future.
tight lines...

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I realized how much I cared for and respected the bass - literally hustling/running to minimized it's time out of the water

Redatnight, is there something you need to tell us about your special relationship w Striped Bass?
:eek:

·
Registered
16,324 Posts
I thought it was mosts sentiment that the little ones taste better? Can't keep the little ones, the in betweeners and you're scolded if you keep the big ones! What is it w/ the striper, why's it got to be so difficult. An 18" limit would be fine, especially in the back waters!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yeah 18 inches would be fine you say? You think killing them before they grow is fine? I think your a meat eatter with no concern for the population and its growth? In My opinon! You call your self a fishermen? Well I hate to be rude CaptG but you truely cant think that eatting 18 inches verses 24 to 28 inches and then over what 34 is not not helping the population. Well there are rules like I said which we follow right or wrong. If you want to be the wrong part then so be it. I just think our youth deserve role models that follow the rules not break them cause they feel its their right. My 2 cents again

[ 06-28-2005, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: HarborNights ]

·
Registered
16,324 Posts
I think you misconstrued my post Harbornights, just heckleing you seacarp worshippers :D But don't worry, I've never kept an illegal fish in my life so I'll continue to release the 18 inchers and keep the 48 inchers and kill a potential couple thousand striper instead of 1 as the law allows! Lighten up pal, no where in my post did I condone keeping fish below the legal limit! I simply feel for the person who catches a fish that is in great abundance and wants to keep it but has to throw it back! BTW, in every state below DE it is legal to keep 18 inch stripers, so if you are that concerned about it, write a letter to those states representatives. Also, it's between 28 & 34 inches you can't keep them in NJ, not 31. I advise you know the limits so you don't get ticketed and fined by NJF&G, that would not be a good example to the children.

[ 06-25-2005, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: CaptG ]

·
Registered
483 Posts
We werent talking about states under NJ first of all. And the way it reads with your post that you did condone the keeping of such small stripers. "that the little ones taste better"
And I do know the limitations I was looking for the response i got from you. ITS GOOD TO SEE YOU DO FOLLOW THE RULES LIKE YOU SAY. i JUST GET DISAPPOINTED IN THOSE WHO DONT AND FEEL ITS OK TO TAKE WHAT EVER THEY WANT WHEN THEY WANT WITH LITTLE OR NO REGARD TO ANY OF THE NJ RULES. THAT WAS MY POINT OF IT.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Why are states below DE, such as, Virginia are allowed to keep stripers at 18" in the chessy? There reg's are so far out of line compared our reg's and reg's of States up North of NJ. :mad:

CaptG,
I have to agree with you on this one.

Rules are the rules and I don't condone keeping smaller fish, but the RIGHT THING to do is keep the smaller fish and let the Big fish go which are the Breeders so we can catch more Stripers in the future, for example, Blue claw crabs you are not allowed to keep females because females are the Breeders. If I catch that 80 lb Striper I am keeping it. :D

Johnny d

[ 06-27-2005, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: johnny d ]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts