BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left key port a 7 am with david blank and steve rizza both NFA members for a day of tagging striped bass. Two bushels of clams and we headed out to the area just south of can 27 amongst the working clam boats. Wind was against the tide and boat swung quite a bit, we managed to release about 8 bass and a bunch of blue fish the largest was 32 inches and 12 pounds whic we kept. A lot of boats came around us so I left to find a area without so much compition; We looked for some bunker and went over to great kills but didn't find any bunker. Went back to can 27 area but away from the boats and with the wind and tide to gether we released 12 more bass to 35 inches and 16 pounds. We kept 2 of the 12 and tagged 3 fish. Missed many fish due to much clam on the hook. Plus a ton of blue fisn. Wind was out of the ene and the there wasn't any sea to speak of we were in 17 ft of water. Chummed hard and had the bass right behind the boat. We did have a school of bunker come by and we snagged two fish before the moved on. Water temp was in the mid fifties. Be on the water again tomorrow. :D :D

·
Registered
327 Posts
Nice report! My son and I are heading out of Keyport on Wednesday now that he is done with school for the semester.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I left out of keyport yesterday (sunday) and headed toward staten island to be on the lie of the wind. A group of boats were snagging and netting bunker in 15 f.o.w. so I tried chunking near them... I picked up a few blues but broke off more... one little blue did some tail dancing for me... first time I saw one leave the water, pretty cool. Picked up one keeper striper too... 28". The wind laid down and I headed toward Old orchard and the reach and picked up two more bass in 20-25 feet... a 29" and a 34"... so I used my first bonus tag. All the blues came on bunker chunks and the bass all came on clams. Water was 57-62 degrees depending on location and time of day. Lots of boats out there... most guys on the VHF said it was slow and some guys gave up on the bass and switched to blues midmorning. My personal beleif... too many chum slicks and the fish either had their fill and/or shut down.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Fished the reach Sunday am. Bunker were easy to get in the western bay Sunday am. Good bite of nice fish through the bluefish. Bunker heads took the nicer fish up to mid 20's. Got a nice one on live bunker at the end of the tide. Will get really good after the spawn-especially further east.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Originally posted by aftermath:
My personal beleif... too many chum slicks and the fish either had their fill and/or shut down.
Truth is stripers just don't like too much boat traffic - period. And there was alot of traffic out there. Of course, the don't chew all the time either.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Last season we were out one saturday morning around 10:00am and ran over towards Old Orchard. There must have been at least 75 boats scattered around. Most of what I saw caught was bluefish. By 4:00pm there was only about 5 or 6 boats scattered around. We started to pick up stripers. In the next 2 hours we caught about 25 to 35" and hardly any bluefish. I think it had a lot to do with less boat traffic and maybe the bluefish finally got their bellys full from all the chum slicks all day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts