BASS BARN banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its that time of year here in the Southernmost City where were getting some of the best action of the year. Days can be tough to find in February and March, but we've had some cancellations toward the latter part of the month that have opened up some availability, so if you'd like to book, please contact me (305-213-5369) or Capt. Trey Rhyne at 305-619-0235. We've also got some great deals on accomodations/complete packages with our partner, the DoubleTree Grand Key Resort -- So give us a shout.
Now, on to the fishing.
If you'd like to escape the winter cold and stock your freezer, we've been having some fantastic luck bottom fishing for yellowtail, mutton and mangrove snapper on the shallow patch reefs. In fact, I just finished fed-exing 40 pounds of fillets to my regular customers Steve Scherf and son (and culinary phenom) Mike. We had a couple of good days hitting the shallow patches when they came down early this month to collect their winnings in the Key West Fishing Tournament, with multiple recreational limits on yellowtail, lane and mangroves, with a few muttons mixed in. We also did a number on cero mackerel to 10 pounds. These are the tastiest of the mackerel family, and they'll be enjoying those fillets well into the summer and fall.
Our cobia fishing has really gotten redhot as well. The shallow water wrecks west of the Marquesas have had some fish scaling to 40 pounds, and its an exciting time to throw to them with artificials including bucktail jigs and flies. As the waters warm, expect to find some permit in the same areas as well.
Offshore, our pelagic action has been excellent when we've been able to catch live pilchards. Whether its king and cero mackerel on the reef edge or sails and blackfin tuna, we've had some pretty consistent action. In fact, we're STILL seeing dolphin on a semi-regular basis thanks to some unseasonable warm weather and steady southerly breezes.
Tarpon season is just around the corner, and infact we've been seeing some silver kings as our water temps have creeped into the mid-70s. We've still got availibility in March, April and May, but its limited and going fast. So give us a call and lets go fishing! I'll try to update with some photos tomorrow!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts