BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone stopped by to see whats going on at the keyport ramp? It looks great, just hoping it's finished soon.:confused: There's a lot of Dubree in the boat trailer parking lot. I think they are going to add the metal railing around the parking area as they did the other side. They also have a concrete barricade so you can not use the ramp and the access road is still closed.

Whats the next ramp to use if Keyport isn't ready in time?

Thanks, Mike

Another thread for a Raritan Bay forum!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,491 Posts
probably Leonardo is the next ramp down in the bay, then Atlantic Highlands.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
up the creek has a ramp

if you cant make it under the bridge. You have one in south amboy also where the old boat club was beautiful new facility.

·
Banned
1,301 Posts
LamiglasMike said:
Has anyone stopped by to see whats going on at the keyport ramp? It looks great, just hoping it's finished soon.:confused: There's a lot of Dubree in the boat trailer parking lot. I think they are going to add the metal railing around the parking area as they did the other side. They also have a concrete barricade so you can not use the ramp and the access road is still closed.

Whats the next ramp to use if Keyport isn't ready in time?

Thanks, Mike

Another thread for a Raritan Bay forum!:rolleyes:
I just got done bidding on the excavation and removal of the contaminated soil from under the parking area and demolition of the little shed that sits there.

Apparently, the site has historic soil and groundwater contamination from the old service station that had leaking underground gasoline storage tanks.

Once the remedial work is done, I suspect that you will see some more major improvements to the area. However, I would be surprised if the ramp is open in time for winter flounder fishing in March.

The next public ramp down the line would be Leonardo followed by AH.

- Gr8ful

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Leonardo is in such bad shape. It's NJ State Marina and they haven't spent a dime on the place in years. Last year they didn't even put a porta-potty in the parking lot. Great spot for a ramp but this state can't afford a dime for its sportsmen.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Yea, it's a minefield around the Keyport ramp. Leonardo is not in great shape as stated. AH is nice and gives you easy access to Nav/Shrew Rivers & RB but it's a zoo there on the weekend. My cousins boat is docked there and all you need is a few beers and you'll get quite a few laughs at the ramp:D. My buddy launches out of rumson but sometimes they don't put the markers out until June:eek:. Not bad when your running a 17 Lund but I've seen my fare share of guys stuck on the bars.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Raritan Bay Marina in Keansburg has a ramp and the price is not that bad. Also, it gets less trailer traffic than the other ramps because it is really a slip based marina.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fishypete said:
AH is nice and gives you easy access to Nav/Shrew Rivers & RB but it's a zoo there on the weekend.
Hey Pete, were is the AH ramp?

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
375 Posts
peb3 said:
Raritan Bay Marina in Keansburg has a ramp and the price is not that bad. Also, it gets less trailer traffic than the other ramps because it is really a slip based marina.
(*Because it does not meet the same standards as other facilities)

Last year the price went up 50%. Low tide it's a sea of mud. High tides the Seawall can close and leave you stuck out in the bay for hours until the tide goes down and they reopen. Ramp unlit and no tie ups or ladders to reach water once your launched . Not the best area for security for your tow vehicle. Pilings submerged in area as you enter the bay.

If you are not intimate with this ramp use Atlantic Highlands unless your in a very small boat with low draft and have a high tolerence for mishaps.:eek:

That's why it gets less traffic, Ask me how I know all these things... 35 years experiance in this bay. Grew up with all the Commercial Guys. Hey, maybe I should become a charter guy and talk smack...:rolleyes: Actually, my buddy who has many years experiance as a mate on numerous party boats in the Sandy Hook area just got set up as a 6 pack operator in Atlantic Highlands, one of my son's who has been fishing here his whole life will be one of the mates.:D Looking foward to this season!:)

Be safe, if you need specific logistic info email and if I can help I will.

Amphibian (Tom)

·
Registered
375 Posts
AH = Atlantic Highlands.;)

Amphibian (Tom)

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
LamiglasMike said:
Hey Pete, were is the AH ramp?

Thanks, Mike
Mike click here http://www.ahnj.com/ahnj/Harbor

My cousin runs a GW 23 CC and it's docked adjacent to the ramp two boats from the end of the dock. Stop by and say hi if you see me. (orange hat;) )

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I use the AH ramp in the spring for striper fishing. It's the nicest ramp I've ever used in Jersey. The nicest ramp I've ever used was at Kiptopeke state park in VA. Since it was redone it is the standard of boat ramps IMHO. But since that doesn't mean s%!t AH is the way to go. Watch the ramp is kinda steep.

Don C

·
Registered
227 Posts
Anyone ever put in at the keyport marine basin??? Just curious,,,I was thinking of using that ramp,,I was putting in at Liberty State Park ,,but no bait store around....

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jbigguy said:
Anyone ever put in at the keyport marine basin??? Just curious,,,I was thinking of using that ramp,,I was putting in at Liberty State Park ,,but no bait store around....
Never have, but I think you have to clear the bridge, if I'm not mistaken. Not sure of the actual height clearance.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
up the creek has a ramp

Good ramp all tides Low Bridge maybe 6-8 ft. at low

·
Registered
13,491 Posts
fullblown said:
The best ramp for the bay is in S.I. gateway park, $50 for the year. no ramp in N.J. comes close.
I'm a bit confused. If you live in NJ, why go to SI? Don't the toll/gas costs negate the "savings" at the ramp?

1 - 20 of 96 Posts