BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a great week in the Keys...Weather was perfect, 80 and sunny every day, not really humid...
First night down there went to my favorite "land-bound" spot and procedded to catch some nice ladyfish, a handful of jacks and jumped a few tarpon. Working softplastics. Wound up landing one of the tarpon that went about 40 lbs or so on 8lb test!! :D Not what I had in mind, but, I was using borrowed gear, so my choices were extremely limited...took about 35 minutes to bring it to the shore. Released strong and healthy. Called it a night after that..
Next day poled the flats with a bud...caught a wicked sunburn
Flats are still kinda slow...saw about 5 bones, had one good shot at a pair of them, place the fly right at em...and the other one swam right into the leader and spooked..
:( Thats bonefishin', ;) Saw some beatiful sharks, turtles, and spotted eagle rays though, gorgeous day.
Went on one offshore trip with a bud, caught a few small dolphin...tried for a some AJ's but without a depth sounder and no livewell(yup, no electronics or bait system at all on this boat...just a compass, :eek: ) its pretty much hopeless..still fun though. Did see a breaching Sun-fish though, never saw one come clear outta the water like that, really neat!
Back home now and really cant wait to do some classic North east fishin'!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Good Job Josh. Sounded like a nice trip.
Now its time to get on some Bass.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Josh- glad you made it down there and sounds like you had a great time fishing! Congrats on the Tapon.

We'll be getting together soon.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tom, sounds good man!

Brian, it was fun...defiantly pushed the limits and taught me a thing or two about going light like that... the womens 16lb class tippet was broke that week also...something like 130lbs on 16lb tippet :eek: She's goooood.
Not sure if it was a 10 or 12 weight though...still crazy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts