BASS BARN banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a PFD for my daughter. I need someone with a large selection. I live in south jersey and was wondering if there was another place to go besides West Marine… Thanks of the help.

John

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I got my three grandsons jackets at Cabellas. They have alot of different types, only problem is you can't try them on. They go by weight so the size is pretty general.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
When you find what you are looking for make sure it has the large loop on top so you can easily pick them out of the water if you ever have to.

example

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
If they are young, younger then 3 or 4, maybe older if little swimming experience. Get them the mustangs with the head support. I had drills with my boys and found that some jackets would leave them floating face down, in their panic they are gonna swollow water. if you don't get there in time, that can go real bad. You need to be idiot proof..

I have a big rule on my boat, 0 tolerance, never to be broken anytime, anywhere. You can ask either of them as I drill it constantly. It is, "BOTH FEET ON THE FLOOR ALL THE TIME." NO EXCEPTIONS!

Also each them if they feel "rocky" to fall down NOT OVER! Bend the knees and hit the deck...

have fun, having my boys, currently 3 and 6 is some of my best of times. I have had them both on the boat since six months...

Do some drills, teach them to cut the tether, if your gone they need to know to pull it. Don't scare um BUT make them respect it..

FEET ON THE FLOOR AND HIT THE DECK IF THE BOATS A ROCKIN.. Fall down NOT over!

One more thing, IMHO I always felt the dock is far more dangerous then the open water. It is another rule that as soon as we step out of the truck at the marina, LJs go on. God forbid they fall under a boat or dock... got to stop that!

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Bear I really like the idea of hitting the deck if they feel unstable, I will be implementing it this year. As far as the foot always planted they know this every time was on the boat as it is always drilled in their head.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Bear I really like the idea of hitting the deck if they feel unstable, I will be implementing it this year. As far as the foot always planted they know this every time was on the boat as it is always drilled in their head.
it is amazing, I spent ALOT of time on boats as a kid. never wore PFD and never had rules.. It is amazing how things change.. I spent some time thinking of the almosts and just trying to approach this in a as much a common snese way while keeping it enjoyable. Those are the things I thought of. I don't know if they offically proper but they seem to work rather well thus far.. Just sharing my ideas and thoughts in attempt to help others.... I do see kids crawling wround boats in ways that makes me cringe.. It is also hard to tell a good friends kids stearnly over and over BUT it is important and another reinforcement to our own...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts