BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm no fan of the inordinate number of dogs out in the ocean and ask this because I've seen it done so much over the years, which personally is OK by me, but my opinion doesn't count in this question.

Is it technically legal to release a dogfish after spearing it's head or doing anything else that may render the creature mortally wounded?

Looking for answers about the legality of this only please.

Fred

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Smooth and spiny dogfish arent recreationally regulated. Ive seen their noses broken before... and I killed-released one surf fishing when we couldnt get away from them and we didnt catch any after that.

If your going to kill them, you might as well head and gut them and eat them. They really arent that bad if you clean and ice them immediately.

Little tutorial on how to clean them( when I gillnetted them commercially this is how all the boats in BL cleaned these fish) - serrated fillet knife works best for this. All the red lines in the picture are where you want to make your cuts. Start by cutting the tail off, this bleeds them out the best. I used a hammer to brain them so they were limp and didnt twist while I cut them. First cut, top of the head just behind the gills. Down to bottom of gills, turn your blade parallel to the spine, cut straight back along the lateral line and take off the anal fins. Remove the rest of the fins and you can steak the rest of the meat. Time for cleaning one is usually around a minute, I used to be able to cut them in less then that but when time is money thats a different story. Good luck.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Its cruel and mean to torture and harm them-to kill and eat a fish is one thing-those who give in to their frustrations and torture them are the definition of sh%&%y fisherman-theyre so bad at catching fish they blame the sand sharks, lol, when people torture fish on my boat, I end the trip abruptly-tell them to never come back and that they're never welcome again-one guy got me so pissed I punched him right in the face when he stuck his knife straight through a 6" sea bass and laughed and made farting noises or some sh%@-

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
one guy got me so pissed I punched him right in the face when he stuck his knife straight through a 6" sea bass and laughed and made farting noises or some sh%@-

So punching someone in the face over a fish makes you a better man :nuts: i fail to see the logic in that one.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Its cruel and mean to torture and harm them-to kill and eat a fish is one thing-those who give in to their frustrations and torture them are the definition of sh%&%y fisherman-theyre so bad at catching fish they blame the sand sharks, lol, when people torture fish on my boat, I end the trip abruptly-tell them to never come back and that they're never welcome again-one guy got me so pissed I punched him right in the face when he stuck his knife straight through a 6" sea bass and laughed and made farting noises or some sh%@-

Written right there dude. Your post implies your attitude.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
huh? I fail to understand where you got that one from-the better man thing-logically speaking, and thinking I never implied such-

Its easy.....you mentioned that you reacted to something dumb (killing a fish for no reason) by doing something even dumber (punching someone, on your boat, in the face).

You then said that anyone who does such an act "is the one who sucks"...thus, logicall implying that you are the better man - even though you respod to dumb actions......with more dumb actions...

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
After I first saw this thread, I was wondering where it would end up.

I cant say that I have never killed a dogfish for no reason - as I have.

BUT.....I don't - and the time I did, I felt bad.

I dont kill anything unless I am going to eat it or use it for bait. Everything else, no matter how annoying, gets released unharmed if at all possible.

All that being said - I know a lot of people that kill dogfish.....

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
wanton waste

I will look into this more if I have time but I was under the impression throwing back a fish that was intentionally wounded was not legal. I don't know if there are boundaries for distances for dumping on this topic. I know inshore if spotted doing so you could be charged with littering and wanton waste of fish. I won't speak ethics this is just legality...I know in nj wanton waste of fish is pursued...I do not know how they can prove this other than if it is witnessed.

EDIT: if they watch you dump any fish they may consider it obstruction of justice as well?

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I will look into this more if I have time but I was under the impression throwing back a fish that was intentionally wounded was not legal. I don't know if there are boundaries for distances for dumping on this topic. I know inshore if spotted doing so you could be charged with littering and wanton waste of fish. I won't speak ethics this is just legality...I know in nj wanton waste of fish is pursued...I do not know how they can prove this other than if it is witnessed.

EDIT: if they watch you dump any fish they may consider it obstruction of justice as well?

HMMM. Really.. Seems like a stretch and one of those dangerous slopes. If they could charge you with littering....imagine how the enviromental wacko's would run with that...every piece of bait you throw overboard and they would be calling for a fine. Obstruction of justice ???? Seems like a stretch as well. I assume you are going with the claim that dumping the fish would be the equivelant of hiding evidence......seems like another slippery slope.

Look -I agree its wrong - but to try to FIND a way to make it illegal (short of real legislation........just doesnt make sense.

Either its legal or not - but to get creative and reinterpret existing laws often times leads to increases in power and enforcement that none if us want.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
HMMM. Really.. Seems like a stretch and one of those dangerous slopes. If they could charge you with littering....imagine how the enviromental wacko's would run with that...every piece of bait you throw overboard and they would be calling for a fine. Obstruction of justice ???? Seems like a stretch as well. I assume you are going with the claim that dumping the fish would be the equivelant of hiding evidence......seems like another slippery slope.

Look -I agree its wrong - but to try to FIND a way to make it illegal (short of real legislation........just doesnt make sense.

Either its legal or not - but to get creative and reinterpret existing laws often times leads to increases in power and enforcement that none if us want.
There is legislation that covers it.

7:25-18.1M Wanton waste of one marine fish $124
7:25-18.1M(2) Wanton waste of two marine fish $224
7:25-18.1M(3) Wanton waste of three marine fish $324

http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/mcs/svbs_9-04/part2-b6.pdf

·
Registered
865 Posts
i did alot of wreck trips this winter... Very common practice by the mates.... Cant say that i agree but hey... I dont do it... If they do whatever... not worth punching somebody in the face over :p :p

·
Registered
5,925 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I can't believe someone even starts a thread like this all the while has a pic of his boat in his siggy? An people wonder why the pew foundation is taking everything from us...:mad:

1 - 20 of 156 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.